Source for shock absorbers

/ Source for shock absorbers #11  
Truck parts houses usually have a wide range of seat shocks. Take your old one in so they can match it up.

/ Source for shock absorbers
Nick - That's an interesting possibility... I think space considerations would make it impractical, as you suspected, though.

<font color=blue>You spent $44k and don't like the seat?</font color=blue>

Well, that's crossed my mind, too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif But you also have to remember that I'm obsessively picky... In fact, it seems that things most folks wouldn't even think twice about annoy me to the point that they just have to be fixed... Plus, it gives you guys something to pick on me about! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Sim - I hadn't considered the possibility of a motor mount. I wonder if they would be too restrictive of motion, though. I'll have to see if I can find somebody that's got one I could look at.

bgott - If I can find such a place around here, that might be the most likely solution. It certainly makes sense to use something designed for the task...

Are there any big national places that I could call that might have a good selection they could match up by specs I gave them?

/ Source for shock absorbers #15  
Mark,That is about the size of the shocks on mountain bikes. You might want to stop at a bike shop and take a look.

Von - Really?!? I had no idea - just assumed they'd be much bigger. Definitely worth a look. Thanks!

/ Source for shock absorbers #17  
Just design your own, it is a matter of calculating the RMC function and the shock is the R, the weight of the tractor(or your butt) is the M and the spring in the shock is this the C. Do the calculating, buy a shock that meets the RC and you add the M. Pretty easy.
Dan L

/ Source for shock absorbers #18  
Have you considered going to local say, JCB, CAT dealer and see if the one used on their seat is available as a replacement part and see if it will cross over??

I have no clue how the one in my seat looks, I just know the seat goes boucy boucy and I LLLLLIKE IT!

I'd be happy to investigate the existence/size of the one in my seat & report what I find.

Richard

Dan - Thanks for the reply. It's not a spring that I want, though - there's plenty of spring in seat already. The purpose of the "shock" is really just a rate control - it prevents the additional force of bumps from bottoming out the seat against the springs by slowing the descent. And it keeps the seat from slamming against the height stop on the way back by doing the same thing, though that function is less important to my backside (and lower back, especially) than the first one.

Richard - Yeah, I know exactly what you're saying. The "shock", just as much as the springs, is what makes the seat comfortable, in my opinion. I went to a lot of trouble to find one that had a good "shock" for my L4310. I actually have looked at several seats, but none I've seen so far have a shock the right size. And I sure don't want to buy a whole seat just to get the shock, but most of the seats I've seen don't have a parts source.