Source for shock absorbers

/ Source for shock absorbers
Von - Your suggestion appears to be working out. And it would've worked out much sooner if I'd realized you were talking about pedal-type mountain bikes... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

After reading all the reviews on the site you posted the link to, and searching the Internet, I called a couple of bike shops. It turns out that none of the standard bike shocks are long enough to work in my seat, and many of them are too big around to fit, so the bike shops were no help.

But since the bike shock seemed to be exactly what I'm looking for function-wise, and the closest I've come to finding a source of anything that might work, I decided to search out the manufacturers themselves and call them. My first two calls netted folks who were quite sympathetic and wanted to help, but didn't have anything that would work. My third call was to Stratos, and because the guy who was supposed to be taking customer service calls was off, their engineer had to help answer the phones, and I just happened to get him. Some days you're the windshield... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

This guy was pretty incredible, not just because he knows his stuff, but because he was interested in my need. They didn't have anything that will work out-of-the-box either, but every time we ran up against something that caused a problem, he just said "No problem, we'll just..." I like that. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif So, the end result is that they're going to have to make a few changes, but I'm going to get a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stratashock.com/02.Shocks/Shock.Html/Shock.2001/Shock.2001.HP/Shock.2001.HP1.html>Stratos Helix Pro</A> shock. It's completely adjustable in both compression and tension. It's totally cool. In fact, I think I'll have to remove the rubber skirt on my suspension seat so the shock shows. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif I think the only problem with it is that their shocks tend to weigh a little less than the competition's, which is great on bikes, but, for my EF-5, I'd rather it be a little heavier. Maybe I'll wrap some lead tape around it. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

All of which is to say: "Thanks, Von!!!"

/ Source for shock absorbers #42  
Mark,Hey no problem,....Thats what TBN is all about! Glad it worked out for you. And Stratos may have found a new line for thier product!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif You should ask for some sort of profit sharing is they get into the tractor seat shocks after this!

Von - I just heard back from the engineer at Stratos. They're taking their longest Helix Pro model, lengthening it about 10 mm, modifying the mounting eyes a little so my existing bronze bushings will fit in them, removing the outer spring and its mounting rings to reduce the overall diameter so it'll fit in the space I have for it (and because I don't need any more spring force), and replacing the "lockout" valve with one that has a greater adjustment range. This unit is completely rebuildable, and even has a shraeder valve on it so you can "preload" the unit with an air "cushion" of 50-300 psi that provides an adjustable-rate stop at the end of its stroke. He said that, since it's made for a lot heavier usage than I'm putting it through (the coil springs that go around them range from 300-800 lbs of compression force), it should last indefinitely.

Once again, many thanks for the tip - I'll keep you posted on the "in the saddle" testing, once I get it. It's going to take a few days because, since it's an oddball unit, they're having to send an internal part they're making out to get it anodized. That'll take a couple days, then they have to build it, then ship it out. So, I probably won't see it for another week or so.

/ Source for shock absorbers #44  
Geez Mark, a custom made, reengineered, one off shock made to fit your needs. I think I would call that great service! Many times you are lucky to get a manufacture to even reply to a question. If I ever take up mountain biking, that would be a sight/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif, I know what kind of shock I want.

MarkV

MarkV - I was certainly very impressed with them. Being a mountain bike outfit, they'll probably include a really rad (is that the correct current term for "groovy"? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif) sticker that I can put on an unused piece of glass, too. I'd perhaps have the world's only TLB with a gnarly (maybe that's the right word) sticker on it. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif They've earned the advertising, in my book.

bgott - Thanks for the link! That one just got bookmarked - it's a keeper!

/ Source for shock absorbers #49  
The whole works.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Image873.jpg

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/expert/featbene/al71214.htm>Deluxe Air Seat for Cab Tractors</A>

Part Details
Part Number: AL71214
Part Price: 955.34 USD
Description: SEAT

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

John - Now, that's a seat! Quite a price, too! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif