Source for shock absorbers

/ Source for shock absorbers #21  
Hey Mark, how about the gas struts that hold open most car trunk lids and such? These are available as replacements in a variety of sizes at most auto stores. You'll get some additional spring rate in one direction but should get the damping you want in both directions. Pretty cheap too /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Source for shock absorbers
RobS - That's the sort of thing that would work, but so far all the ones I've looked at are way too long. Maybe I haven't hit on the right source yet, though. I'll keep looking.

/ Source for shock absorbers #23  
I can't tell you where Mark, but I know I've seen fairly short gas struts somewhere. Most modern office chairs have one inside for the heighth adjustment (though with an closeable valve). Maybe a call to Steelcase would net a supplier name /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Source for shock absorbers #24  
in a mechancal system, the shock is resistance or a mechancal resistor, springs are the capacitor and the mass of the body that you are trying to smooth out is the Mass or inductance. Since it is your body that you are trying to smooth out you body is the mass. So the RLC product is the time constant and 5 time constants the movement should stop. If you want a soft stop, you under damp the RLC, if you want a harder ride you over damp.

Dan L

/ Source for shock absorbers #25  
Comfortal seats:
Perhaps try implement dealers that sell large agricultural tractors [Doesn't matter what color] or places that supply the big truck seats [ truck repair shops] If need be you may have to purchase an entire unit which would be pricey but the cost of a new back is also quite pricy. A tired back does not make for finishing work.

After bouncing around on my B7100 for 4 or 5 hours I can barely walk.

Egon

/ Source for shock absorbers #26  
ddl
I know teachers who have worked years figuring how to explain electricity in mechanical terms. Now I see they had it backward.

Well, I spent most of yesterday visiting half a dozen truck parts places, several heavy equipment outfits, 4 ag/compact tractor dealers, and 3 different auto parts chains. Nobody had anything that even remotely resembles what I need. I ended up buying a gas-charged strut that's the right length, but is way too stiff for my needs, I think. We'll see.

I think my only choice is going to be to find a manufacturer of these things and match up something, or buy a whole new seat. I found a company, called Enidine I think, that makes exactly what I'm looking for. They call it a "rate controller", and it's adjustable for different compression and tension settings. Unfortunately, they make them too big and too small, or close to the right size with completely wrong ends. So, I may have to buy something close, cut the ends off, and weld the correct ones back on. So much for the warranty...

/ Source for shock absorbers #28  
Mark, Did you check any bike shops yet? I think you might be surprised at what you find. The rear shocks on mountian bikes are about the size that you are talking about. I rent out my carrage house to a bike shop and they have all different kinds of them. Or do a search on line and see what you find.

Von - Do you mean motor bike or pedal bike? I tried one small motorcycle shop, thinking that's what you meant, but they didn't have anything close.

/ Source for shock absorbers #30  
Mark, Pedal bike. Not motorcycle.