Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter-

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #41  
What kind of wood are you guys splitting that it flies off the splitter with enough force to go through a shed door? I have a Wallenstien Horizontal/Vertical splitter with the wedge on the ram, and the only stick that's ever flown off of it was cedar, spliiting drywood. And the biggest advantage to having the wedge on the ram is that when you split, the blocks don't fall off the end of the splitter, but they stay right on the tables so you don't have to pick them up twice.

In my case it is Willow (yes, yes, yes, it is "poor" wood but it is available and I have heated with it for over 30 years). I have had chunks fly 6' past the wedge. The stuff splits easily but occasionally one doesn't and the 'bending forces' build up until 'bang'. I haven't run any pine but having split a bunch as a kid, I suspect it would also have its share of 'flyers'. I hadn't run my new Troy bilt a week before I caught a 'flyer' right in the nads. Haven't had as many 'flyers' as before but every one of them is now coming right at me vice going away.

Blocks fall off the end? I had a takeoff table for that and no, I don't ahve to 'walk down to get 'em. They are always in arm's reach without moving my feet.

I now have a tip-up used horizontal. There is just too much moving around getting the blocks to split, clearing wood away, etc. to even think of hunkering down and then standing up to get the next round, retrieve one that got too far away to reach, etc.

Harry K

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #42  
Surprising - in 20 years of splitting hardwoods and softwoods, i have never had a piece go flying.

Ken

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #43  
Nice looking build BeerGut, well done.

When i built mine i did heaps of research on all the commercial ones around and decided horizontal with wedge on beam was the way to go for me.
I really wanted one with an adjustable 4way wedge and loglift, i really hate bending and have a crook back so i built my like this.
The adjustable 4way makes it way faster as you just keep feeding them in one after the other, no double handeling.Its like a production line with two on it, of course you can't do that with a toe plate reguardles if its vertical or horizontal.
You could always fit a slip on 4way to yours if you havn't done so already, Northern tool sell them.They also have detent splitter valves too which are pretty cheap and a must in my book.
Hope your having fun with it!

Rob
NEWKNIFEPICS006.jpg

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #44  
G'day i'm guessing he was splitting a good piece of dry redgum (eucalyptus) i have had one of these "pop" on me and sailed straight over the trailer and ute (oops sorry pickup) and came down about 10 feet infront it was a bit twisty but we still got through it:D

Jon

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #45  
Bundy - nice work! I like the adjustment system for the wedge. Got a few questions, naturally.
Does the beam end before the wedge, though? Looks like it. So how does the wedge handle the pressure, being tried to be pushed off the end of the beam?
When the wedge is all the way down, do the ears lie against the beam, and the log ride over them?
What's the round rail on the near side for - keep the logs rolling off the lift from falling off?
Looks like your lift is mechanical run off a hyd motor? Better than a cylinder?
Very clever rig. Thanks for showing us.
Jim

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #46  
Hi Jim, thanks for the kind words;)

"Does the beam end before the wedge, though? Looks like it. So how does the wedge handle the pressure, being tried to be pushed off the end of the beam?"

Yes thats correct, theres a 1/2" plate on the end of the beam which holds the knife holder assembly. The beam is 10" deep and welded properly so it wont come off. the whole rig is tig welded and is rock solid.The 20t ram dosn't have enough force to break it, believe me I've tried.

"When the wedge is all the way down, do the ears lie against the beam, and the log ride over them?"

Correct.

"What's the round rail on the near side for - keep the logs rolling off the lift from falling off?"

Also correct and its nice to lean on and bump into.

"Looks like your lift is mechanical run off a hyd motor? Better than a cylinder?"

The lift is powered by a $100, 3000lb electric winch, it works just as good as hydraulic without the added expence.
I bought the hydraulics as a package for $300 on ebay (Cross components) at that stage i hadn't planned on a lift, (it was an after thought) however when i decided i wanted one i needed to upgrade the valve and add another ram and hoses which would of cost me an extra $1500 which i wasn't prepared to spend since it was supposed to be a low budget build.

Thanks for your interest.
Heres a short vid of her in action.

YouTube - My Homemade Logsplitter 11hp

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #47  
if wood is flying off your splitter it probably has air in it or your beam isn't strong enough

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #48  
G'day i'm guessing he was splitting a good piece of dry redgum (eucalyptus) i have had one of these "pop" on me and sailed straight over the trailer and ute (oops sorry pickup) and came down about 10 feet infront it was a bit twisty but we still got through it:D

Jon

Banjodunn is close - as an Aussie, he understands that when we say "hardwood" here, we mean HARDwood. In my case it is Eucalyptus in the form of what the locals call "scribbly gum" It frequently has twisted grain and when it has been partly dried out is so hard a chainsaw needs sharpening after each hour of cutting. It does not happen often, but when a log slips out of the bed during splitting. believe me, not being in the way is a serious consideration.

Alan - since you ask, on top of the Great Dividing Range south of a place called Oberon in NSW