Splitters and Wood, show your pics!

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics!
The half that falls off on the lift side is easy to get back on. The piece that falls of on the opposite side is a pain.

That's when you use your tractor to get it back in place. Huge rounds are a pain, but they sure do produce a lot of firewood.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #12  
The half that falls off on the lift side is easy to get back on. The piece that falls of on the opposite side is a pain.

I use my log lift as a staging table if I can, the half on that side gets pushed back from the exit table onto the log lift. I just lean in the other half to push it back into the splitting area. I generally don't even bother with something 40", though. Sure, there is a lot of wood, but to me, it's just not worth the effort.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #13  
This all sounds soo much more work than a good splitting ax.
Most of our trees are 12" and under.
The large ones we send to a local guy with a saw mill for project boards.

If I could figure how to post pics easily from my chromebook I would post one of my ax.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #14  
Re-mod'd my old Harbor Freight [ my stuff was bought way back when they first started making stuff in Taiwan ] splitter. Getting too old to put it vertical and horse around blocks. So now going to roll them onto my FEL, raise them up, and roll them onto the splitter table. Started doing it this way last Fall. Raised my old homemade splitter table to be the same height as the working surface. Made it so the log on the wing table will slide a little away from the log I am working on. That was a problem with the original design. And my 2020 winter wood stash out back of the property.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 295
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 238
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 246
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 239
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 280
   / Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #15  

If I could figure how to post pics easily from my chromebook I would post one of my ax.

That’s where you’re wrong. It would probably take you an hour to split a round that big with a maul. For a 12” log I can set it on the splitter and have 4 splits in 5 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I split wood with a splitting maul for 2 decades. But, if you could post pics of those double stem and crotch splits with your maul, I'd be impressed. I've owned that Timberwolf TW5 for 6 days now, and it's split 8 cords of wood already. My buddy and I just laughed at the gnarly wood that went through the machine time after time. I'm going to be so far ahead with my split wood, I might just start selling wood and pay for the splitter!

Re-mod'd my old Harbor Freight [ my stuff was bought way back when they first started making stuff in Taiwan ] splitter. Getting too old to put it vertical and horse around blocks. So now going to roll them onto my FEL, raise them up, and roll them onto the splitter table. Started doing it this way last Fall. Raised my old homemade splitter table to be the same height as the working surface. Made it so the log on the wing table will slide a little away from the log I am working on. That was a problem with the original design. And my 2020 winter wood stash out back of the property.

Good work Jerry. Work smarter, not harder!

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #18  
I do not split anything 9 inch diameter or under. I like the long burn.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #19  
40" diameter or so. The log lift on this machine is very powerful. We lifted a giant round up on the splitter a few days ago, but it was too much log for a split.

I was thinking closer to 4' oh well . . . very nice machine Scut. :thumbsup:

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #20  
I do not split anything 9 inch diameter or under. I like the long burn.

Not me. I will quarter a 6" log.

A good friend is a wood combustion guru (He designed a high efficiency, clean-burning residential-sized cordwood boiler before all the euro versions started showing up here. He also troubleshoots and redesigns combustion and control systems for commercial wood chip boilers - there was a big wave of junk designs that showed up here years ago. He has saved a couple of schools from having to junk theirs.) He convinced me to try splitting smaller, since it burns more efficiently. He was right. I burn less wood since I started doing that. I might occasionally cut bigger chunks for overnight, but I've found it isn't necessary: most of the time, I have a good bed of coals when I get up in the morning even if I loaded the stove with small pieces before going to bed. (I also helps that the big stone chimney running up the center of my house makes for great thermal mass, holding and radiating heat for hours after the fire goes out.)