Splitters and Wood, show your pics!

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #21  
I hate round wood so everything gets split at least once. I’d probably send a 6” log through the 4 way.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #22  
Days of yore when my splitter ran on eggs and beans were not that long ago.

Splitting.JPG

gg

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #24  
This year I tried not splitting as much and burning larger pieces. The jury is still out on whether this is a good idea. BTW, using an insert to heat with...not a boiler.

Getting a fire going is more difficult and I find the blower takes longer to come on. But I use very little kindling. I have so much cardboard from groceries and delivered stuff from Amazon etc that I can barely keep up with burning it up. Most mornings there are enough coals to get a fire going with little assistance from carboard or kindling. This morning I used cardboard from a case of beer and some bark to get things started.

I was looking to purchase a new splitter to make the job faster (even started a thread on it). Was hoping to spend $2000 to upgrade to something faster and a 24" stroke, but that dream got crushed. It is difficult to justify a $4000+ splitter for 5 cords a year. My DR dual action is slow but I have only had to replace the control lever over the last 10 years I have used it. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #25  
This year I tried not splitting as much and burning larger pieces. The jury is still out on whether this is a good idea. BTW, using an insert to heat with...not a boiler.

Getting a fire going is more difficult and I find the blower takes longer to come on. But I use very little kindling. I have so much cardboard from groceries and delivered stuff from Amazon etc that I can barely keep up with burning it up. Most mornings there are enough coals to get a fire going with little assistance from carboard or kindling. This morning I used cardboard from a case of beer and some bark to get things started.

I was looking to purchase a new splitter to make the job faster (even started a thread on it). Was hoping to spend $2000 to upgrade to something faster and a 24" stroke, but that dream got crushed. It is difficult to justify a $4000+ splitter for 5 cords a year. My DR dual action is slow but I have only had to replace the control lever over the last 10 years I have used it. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Ditto.... I started looking at new splitters, some one shots, even some with log lifts. My old about 1980 Harbor Freight Central Machinery 20 ton started looking a lot better after I did some pricing on the new ones. I'm 72, and don't need something faster, and I just put some work into her to last until I get old enough that heating my barns work area with propane takes over someday. I could probably buy wood for what they want for the fancy ones.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #26  

Ditto.... I started looking at new splitters, some one shots, even some with log lifts. My old about 1980 Harbor Freight Central Machinery 20 ton started looking a lot better after I did some pricing on the new ones. I'm 72, and don't need something faster, and I just put some work into her to last until I get old enough that heating my barns work area with propane takes over someday. I could probably buy wood for what they want for the fancy ones.

Agree with the both of you. Hard to justify when you have a working splitter that just may not be as efficient. I heard the easton made brand splitters were going up in price around ~$1000 in 2020, that pushed the chance of ever getting one further away.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #27  
Agree with the both of you. Hard to justify when you have a working splitter that just may not be as efficient. I heard the easton made brand splitters were going up in price around ~$1000 in 2020, that pushed the chance of ever getting one further away.

Just goes to show you that not all the smartest folks are living up here in Northern Lower Michigan. There are a few in West Central Indiana, too... :)

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics!
Beautiful day for splitting wood. Frost in the ground, no snow, mid December. Thinking about the 10 cords or so of wood I need yet to heat my house and shop until March. Get er done when the going is easy. We cut into rounds and split at least 3 cords of wood in 3 hours. Not really a super high production wood load, but the wood we cut was delivered free from a local tree cutting business. Large diameter wood, big crotches, not really any easy stuff to get done. The Timberwolf worked hard, had many rejections today. Mostly because of crotches, and trying to push the limits of the machine with the 4 way splitter. The large round you see in the pics below was split with the 4 way. One stem, no crotch, easy as could be. Another pic is of a high density wood, I'm thinking hard maple, that was stringy as h*ll. No way in H*ll that would be split with a splitting maul. The Timberwolf stroked through it like nothing.

Big round on splitter.jpg

stringy wood.jpg

2 loads.jpg

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #30  
We absolutely love our Timber Wolf splitter,

standard.jpg

It is fast, super powerful

standard.jpg

and like my wife says, "it's worth every dollar it cost us!!"

SR

Last edited: