Starting at -10F

/ Starting at -10F #12  
Synthetic oil seems to make a difference for my tractors on cold starts....worth every penny to me.

/ Starting at -10F #13  
Synthetic oil seems to make a difference for my tractors on cold starts....worth every penny to me.

Me too...anything I need to start in the winter gets synthetic. The rototiller? nah.
The Kubota was not happy starting in single digits.
Definitely more rpm in starting with synthetic. I run it through the preheat cycle twice btw.

Haven't tried the Massey, it doesn't even have a preheater. Nothing. Perkins style engine made in India starts
on second turn of engine. Some engines just seem to start easier...or are less temp dependent.
Almost tempted to start that up tomorrow morning when it's coldest here just to see what happens. Would make a promising You Tube cold start video...

you guys in minus temps? I just can't imagine.

rrr rrr rrr rrr rrr rrr rrr kapoof rrr rrr rrr rrr kapoof kapoof rrr rrr rrr kapoof kawacka kawacka kawacka kawacka

actually all that grinding away is good in that it gets the oil moving at least a little.
Diesels don't seem to "flood" like gas engines do.

not a bad idea to have thrown a battery charger on your tractor battery before winter also...

/ Starting at -10F #14  
If I lived up North and temps got down below zero, I'd definitely buy one of these if my tractor did not have a preheater, and even then, to keep the oil somewhat warm, I'd run this also. Worked really well on a pair of 8-71's I had in a boat to reduce start up smoke.
Amazon.com: Kat's 116 3-Watt Magnum Handi-Heat Magnetic Heater: Automotive

My tractors are covered but unheated.
Perhaps on this seemingly universal cold morning we should all start our tractors and report back.
sheet ice out right now so I'm waiting for the sun to get rid of some of it before I go walking anywhere

/ Starting at -10F #15  
If'n you get one of those leave it on the bench and instal a proper block heater. It will also warm the oil.

/ Starting at -10F #16  
That's telling it like it is. :thumbsup:
Agree w/thin oil also parking unit where you can jump start it if need be.

/ Starting at -10F #17  
If'n you get one of those leave it on the bench and instal a proper block heater. It will also warm the oil.

I would agree if I didn't want the ability to move it from tractor to tractor ,electric near both

portability comes with downsides, though I honestly only care about oil temp in my geographic area,
just not that cold, never gets below zero. Warm oil will hopefully ensure
proper viscosity and get to the bearings and rings on time.

diesels take forever to warm up the coolant anyway. I usually have a low throttle warmup run for a few minutes.
Too bad my expensive Kubota doesn't have a real set of gauges for water temp and oil temp. Just idiot lights which
by their name obviously don't provide much information...and bar gauges without numbers. it sure would be nice to know what each bar
meant. But them I'm an idiot and could not handle the info apparently...

c'mon manufacturers, this is expensive equipment, how about some decent gauges? But no, I am reduced to one bar of temp before operating, four bars for normal and five bars I'm getting hot.
Kubota thinks that's enough. Sigh. Truth of the matter is in many ways it is. But then I'm not an idiot...;) I want to know if it's 210 or 220 degrees, that's always been a lot more helpful to me...And not to put any load on the engine or go full throttle until warmed up to some desired
number. Today's gauges are really dumbed down, a pity. Digital numbers or pointers with readable numbers please. Have all the idiot lights they want for alarm conditions but leave the gauges. Probably isn't going to happen any time soon for SCUTs or CUTs.
any large farmers here, don't the real ag tractors have decent gauges? I'd want pyrometers everywhere...maybe a hydraulic pressure gauge too.
Isn't a gauge I didn't like...:D

assuming the electrical usage was minimal any reason not to leave a small block heater on all winter?

/ Starting at -10F #18  
I would agree if I didn't want the ability to move it from tractor to tractor ,electric near both

portability comes with downsides, though I honestly only care about oil temp in my geographic area,
just not that cold, never gets below zero. Warm oil will hopefully ensure
proper viscosity and get to the bearings and rings on time.

diesels take forever to warm up the coolant anyway. I usually have a low throttle warmup run for a few minutes.
Too bad my expensive Kubota doesn't have a real set of gauges for water temp and oil temp. Just idiot lights which
by their name obviously don't provide much information...and bar gauges without numbers. it sure would be nice to know what each bar
meant. But them I'm an idiot and could not handle the info apparently...

c'mon manufacturers, this is expensive equipment, how about some decent gauges? But no, I am reduced to one bar of temp before operating, four bars for normal and five bars I'm getting hot.
Kubota thinks that's enough. Sigh. Truth of the matter is in many ways it is. But then I'm not an idiot...;) I want to know if it's 210 or 220 degrees, that's always been a lot more helpful to me...And not to put any load on the engine or go full throttle until warmed up to some desired
number. Today's gauges are really dumbed down, a pity. Digital numbers or pointers with readable numbers please. Have all the idiot lights they want for alarm conditions but leave the gauges. Probably isn't going to happen any time soon for SCUTs or CUTs.
any large farmers here, don't the real ag tractors have decent gauges? I'd want pyrometers everywhere...maybe a hydraulic pressure gauge too.
Isn't a gauge I didn't like...:D

assuming the electrical usage was minimal any reason not to leave a small block heater on all winter?

I am totally with you on this!
I am not that interested in the water temp., or the block temp., or how hard the starter works.
My tractors are stored inside, and are never started when the temp. is below 30F.
They are usually left locked in my barn for 6 months, without ever being started.
With a good battery ( I have a total of 16 BatteryMinders, & BatteryTenders) they will always crank over readily.
What I want is WARM OIL ...... to PREVENT engine wear.
It is widely accepted that the most severe engine wear occurs on startup .... due to lack of lubrication!
I realize that a pre-oil system would be great, but that is just not practical.
Heating the oil in the pan, and then cranking a few strokes, before adding diesel/gas/spark seems to me like a simple way to get the oil moving ASAP.
Heat rises; so, although some heat from a block heater will migrate down to the oil, it is certainly not the best way to warm oil at the bottom of an engine pan.
I suppose if you did get the block temp up to 200F or so, it would eventually heat the oil in the pan.
Depending on your climate, and your storage facility, even a little 200W magnetic heater is a very handy thing.

/ Starting at -10F #19  
If I lived up North and temps got down below zero, I'd definitely buy one of these if my tractor did not have a preheater, and even then, to keep the oil somewhat warm, I'd run this also. Worked really well on a pair of 8-71's I had in a boat to reduce start up smoke.
Amazon.com: Kat's 116 3-Watt Magnum Handi-Heat Magnetic Heater: Automotive

My tractors are covered but unheated.
Perhaps on this seemingly universal cold morning we should all start our tractors and report back.
sheet ice out right now so I'm waiting for the sun to get rid of some of it before I go walking anywhere

Those "Kat's Magnetic" heaters have a very questionable history.
Apparently their plastic housing is prone to melting, and the unit failing, while still being electrically connected.
It seems like a good way to start a fire, where a fire is CERTAINLY NOT desired!

The 200W "ZeroStart" Magnetic heater - 340-0017, does have a good reputation, and is CSA (c & us) approved.

/ Starting at -10F #20  
Those "Kat's Magnetic" heaters have a very questionable history.
Apparently their plastic housing is prone to melting, and the unit failing, while still being electrically connected.
It seems like a good way to start a fire, where a fire is CERTAINLY NOT desired!

The 200W "ZeroStart" Magnetic heater - 340-0017, does have a good reputation, and is CSA (c & us) approved.

that is very good to know, thanks.