Starting at -10F

/ Starting at -10F #22  
For what works check out what's used in cold country.

I lived in REALLY "cold country" for 24 years. A place known as Minnesota.
Minnesota is one he11 of a lot colder than Nova Scotia.
At 76 years of age I have had quite a variety of block heaters, and tank heaters.
I would not use a magnetic heater in Minnesota.
I do not now live anywhere near Minnesota!

/ Starting at -10F #23  
Up here in Canada, anything below -10C, I plug in the block heater and leave it plugged all night and day as long as it remains that cold, I also have a battery tender that goes along with this and in -20C, two or three fast turns of the starter and she starts right up. 4 cylinder perkins in my hoe.

/ Starting at -10F #24  
I lived in REALLY "cold country" for 24 years. A place known as Minnesota.
Minnesota is one he11 of a lot colder than Nova Scotia.
At 76 years of age I have had quite a variety of block heaters, and tank heaters.
I would not use a magnetic heater in Minnesota.
I do not now live anywhere near Minnesota!

And most of my life was spent in much Colder Climes than Nova Scotia. ( some places with no electricity or block heaters, hot coals in the ash pan! )

And there will be places much colder than where most of my life was spent.

/ Starting at -10F #25  
Up here in Canada, anything below -10C, I plug in the block heater and leave it plugged all night and day as long as it remains that cold, I also have a battery tender that goes along with this and in -20C, two or three fast turns of the starter and she starts right up. 4 cylinder perkins in my hoe.

The problem with 24/7 block heating is the electricity consumption. It can really add up! And we paid absolutely obscene prices for electricity here in Ontario.

It is below -10°F lots of the time up north where my tractor is, but I just plug-in the OEM Kubota block heater on my BX25 maybe a couple of hours before I need to start it. Seems to work fine, because the tractor starts right up!

/ Starting at -10F #26  
Sometimes folks put the block heater on a timer to save electricity. ( on/off for ?? Minutes )

/ Starting at -10F #27  
now I know this was only 12 degrees and not minus 12..., but was pleased the Massey started in about three seconds, didn't smoke or bang all that much. My first Youtube video...not going to win any awards on this one :rolleyes: underneath exhaust, nothing to record
Massey Cold start - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Starting at -10F #29  
The problem with 24/7 block heating is the electricity consumption. It can really add up! And we paid absolutely obscene prices for electricity here in Ontario.

It is below -10°F lots of the time up north where my tractor is, but I just plug-in the OEM Kubota block heater on my BX25 maybe a couple of hours before I need to start it. Seems to work fine, because the tractor starts right up!

I hear ya, but like I said, its only when the temps are extremely cold. I see your in TO, I'm near Ottawa near/on the Ottawa river. And I am contracted out, the extra 30 or 40 bucks a month is well worth the money to get those quick start-up's for me. When the temp rises above -10C, I do what you do.