Starting issues YM2000

/ Starting issues YM2000 #11  
strictly my opinion only I think its an electrical issue, no spark at the cylinders, I cannot be sure But I thought I read somewhere that some of these ym series tractors had safety interrupt switches built into the clutch area :confused: can anyone confirm this?
Are you in Ga. ? if so what area? I know a good tractor mechanic although known to be a bit on the pricey side but is also known to have knowledge on our Jap tractors inside and out,

/ Starting issues YM2000 #12  
DeepnDirt, it's a diesel, so there isn't any spark plug or other sparking device on the engine. An electrical issue can't keep it from running; his YM2000 won't have an electronic fuel solenoid or anything, either.

All of the Yanmars that I've seen do have a clutch interrupt switch, but all it does is keep the key from turning the starter. That may be a place for him to check, though, with his key issues. He may have a faulty switch or wiring at some other point than the key.

/ Starting issues YM2000 #13  
yeah I stand corrected:cool: wrong choice of terminology ,
should'of said Glow or heat in the cylinders;)

/ Starting issues YM2000 #14  
The ambient temp may have an effect I know mine wont start real well even in a 50 degree shop unless I use the thermostart for 15-20 seconds.

edit: If your ign sw is inop it may well be keeping your TS from working take a test light and test it while cranking with the key!

Now I have a YM2420 in here that starts at 20 degrees w/o using the TS so go figure that out difference in engines is all.

Btw wd40 is a whole lot safer on your engine than ether if you have a mind to use some sort of starting fluids. hth

Last edited:
   / Starting issues YM2000 #15  
It was a ran well until parked. But no specific time frame on when it was parked.

It does giving a small white/grey puff while turning over.
Same white/grey puffs coming out of the intake ever other revolution it seems.

Check and make sure the Decompression linkage is Shut and is not stuck open. The Cam that come out of the back of the Valve Cover is the linkage. It should be pointing Up. Which is off and to the Left will be ON/ Open. With it blowing white Smoke Back through the Intake most likley a Valve Problem and atleast some compression IMO.

I'm in Walton Co.
Carey

/ Starting issues YM2000 #16  
my Ym 2000 has no safty switch on the clutch. Just adding that, it has noting to do with the posters problem though. I have tried cranking while on the trailer and still in gear and it tried to crawl foward. Good thing the straps were still on!

/ Starting issues YM2000 #17  
Another thing is when he took his injectors out he could have easily gotten a piece of carbon broke loose or dirt fell in and stuck under a valve and short of getting it started nothing would dislodge it.

However the way it spins over with a down cyl would be affected whether he would know it not being familiar with how it was before, a stuck open intake spewing raw diesel back into the intake would seriously affect starting. fwtw

/ Starting issues YM2000 #18  
As I was refering to his post from way back if that was the problem then the Other CYL. would Fire. That is why I told him to make sure All the Valves would not seal and check the Decompression. If that Checks Okay He's pulling the Head. With the White smoke blowing back through the Intake Very doubtful it's the Piston Rings or Cyl.

Carey

/ Starting issues YM2000 #19  
On my YM240 the forum helped me get functioning again, I had a terrible time getting it to fire on one cylinder. However, it eventually would, once it had enough heat built up and was spun fast enough. In the meantime it would puff smoke. If his compression is on the low side, though, and/or his starting system isn't spinning the engine very fast, he may not get it to run on one cylinder cylinder initially.

I'm interested to hear what he tries and how it works out, because I think it will work for him without too much surgery on the engine.

/ Starting issues YM2000
All excellent tips so far I am attempting to get a volunteer hair dryer now. Thanks for all the help so far.
Also I am in the Augusta Ga area so we have some good starting weather right now.