Steep property--need advice.

/ Steep property--need advice. #41  
The L3130 may be bigger than you want but I mow an 16 deg slope on a regular basis. The top of my drive has a 20-21 degree slope(not percent) that has to get mowed occasionaly. The tiltmeter bounces past 25 deg. Plenty of pucker factor but its stable and I go slow. I have R4's at the widest setting.

You need a vehicle, tractor or otherwise, that is safe on your slopes and that you feel comfortable with.

As far as HST vs gear, the HST is simpler to operate. Does simpler mean safer? I'll leave that to the individual to decide. Personaly I think the answer comes down to productivity in a particular application. IMO, your dictates the HST.

/ Steep property--need advice. #42  
LOL....you got that in quick.

I would not want to run over a 12" rock on a 20 deg slope either.

/ Steep property--need advice. #43  
<font color="blue">I can get any one of the tires at least 12" up before it hits the axle stop.
</font>

CTyler,

I got curious after reading your words...because I did not have an idea of what my B2910 might be able to do.

So while down at the shed, I used the loader to lift the front until the left wheel just touched the ground, and I could just spin it. This put the front axle at the stop, and the right wheel up as high as it would go. Similar to climbing over something.

Surprisingly, even though the high tire looked like it was up in the air quite a bit, a 2x4 on edge just slid under it with about a half inch to spare. So add that half inch to 3.5 inches, and that gives me about 4" of climb on one side before the other front wheel comes off the ground! I was quite surprised it was so little... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If you get a chance, why don't you try the same test with your 3010? Seeing what I found with my B2910, I can't help but think you may be surprised like I was.

It sure looked like it was more than 4" but when measured it wasn't. I did not take into account possible tire deflection, which might add a little to the equation.

I am still quite surprised about what I found... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Steep property--need advice. #44  
<font color="red">
I am still quite surprised about what I found... </font> /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Henro, my rear end has puckered so many times with a conventional machine that I'm surprised my seat doesn't look like a thong. But your little surprise does not surprise me at all. And that is why I favor tractors designed for slopes when working on slopes! I guess I just got tired of having to reach around to pick my seat out from between my cheeks.

/ Steep property--need advice. #45  
Bob,

One thing that I know is that if one is on a slope where the high-side front wheel raises off the ground, that does not necessarily mean that the tractor is in danger of tipping over.

I only know this because it happend to me...with a tree there if needed to hold the tractor up.

It is weird to see the high side front wheel off the ground due to the way the ground is shaped in a compound curve...

Perhaps you remember a photo I posted in the past. Had there been more angle available in my front axle before the stop ended the tilt of the axle the wheel would have stayed on the ground...

Not sure what the message is here.

Attached is a photo. Felt worse than it ended up being...

Without having any experience tipping tractors over, I think I get shaky well before I need to...probably a good thing...

Attachments

• 642929-wheelup.jpg
    642929-wheelup.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 249
   / Steep property--need advice. #46  
I've had the tractor tip the rear up and had the bucket hit with it up about 12-16" or so. Thinking about it.....that doesn't mean I have that much axle travel.

OK...I jacked up the front axle on one side and ran out of jack with the tire almost 8"off the ground. I think I hit the stop at the same time the jack topped out. My guess is with tire deflection it would be close to if not 10". I run the tires a bit soft.

/ Steep property--need advice.
I talked to a guy this weekend who told me he always keeps his FEL on, a couple of inches from the ground, on the premise that if he hits a soft spot with one of his front wheels, the bucket will hit the ground and prevent him from tipping. In theory, this makes sense--How about in practice?? Also, what are the trade offs in safety??

/ Steep property--need advice. #48  
Henro . . . I remember that post and the project for your sewer line. Correct me here, but you were going really really slow when that happened. I think the problem with working on slopes is the unexpected jolt one might encounter that creates a situation where momentum carries the mass of the tractor downhill.

We can't lose sight of the original post, a JD790 on a small 2 acre steeply wooded property. There will be limited room to maneuver between trees, there will be limited room to begin with given property size. So picking and choosing paths to travel may be dicated more by limitations in space than by prudence.

ctadds . . . I see no reason why leaving the bucket low won't help, in theory it should. But again back to the original poster's situation, if applied to driving up and down with the bucket low, then how much work is really getting done? Again, he may not tip the tractor, but he is essentially just tip toeing with the tractor without getting much work done.

Now I will admit the limits of my little Ventrac, but again I purchased it specifically for mowing. The other Ventrac models, the Steiners, and to some degree the PT units, are going to actually be USEABLE on the slopes to a far greater extent. I've use the little front bucket on my Ventrac to haul concrete landscape stones to build retaining walls in places where I cannot even drive a CUT. I used it to move dirt from the the dirt pile and sacks of mulch too. The point is that I can actually work on slopes with the tractor. Being able to work on a slope is far different than being able to climb a slope. Being able to work on a slope with a high level of safety is a lot different that driving slightly off the vertical line with my butt puckered so tight that I collapse the metal frame of the seat between my cheeks. I think that is the difference between a slope capable tractor and a traditional CUT on a slope.

/ Steep property--need advice. #49  
fer what yer haulin in that little bucket, i generally drag out my wheel barrow. really works well on the bad slopes. course i keep the wheels loaded and the proper ballast on the high side. ya know what i mean?

/ Steep property--need advice. #50  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I talked to a guy this weekend who told me he always keeps his FEL on, a couple of inches from the ground, on the premise that if he hits a soft spot with one of his front wheels, the bucket will hit the ground and prevent him from tipping. In theory, this makes sense--How about in practice?? Also, what are the trade offs in safety?? )</font>

Keeping the bucket low is a good idea however at a couple inches up it will be bouncing off the ground a lot. Most of the time the bucket is up a foot or so. Now if I'm heading down a bank and turning I'll drop it down lower. Thats where it can can get tippy with a full bucket. 99% of the time its not a problem.

The few tipping troubles have been OE and in those instances the bucket hit the ground or got dropped. These were caused by backing over a pile of dirt with a full bucket that some dummy just left with the box blade.