Steering wheel position

/ Steering wheel position #31  
It is my belief that modern tractors with power steering do not exhibit the same finger/knuckle breaking kickback action to the steering wheel that much older tractors without power steering exhibited when the front wheel(s) would fall into a hole. I know that my Kubota does not jerk the wheel around violently when a big rock/hole is hit.

Does anyone have a modern tractor with PS which still exhibits the violent steering jerk?

/ Steering wheel position #32  
It is my belief that modern tractors with power steering do not exhibit the same finger/knuckle breaking kickback action to the steering wheel that much older tractors without power steering exhibited when the front wheel(s) would fall into a hole. I know that my Kubota does not jerk the wheel around violently when a big rock/hole is hit.

Does anyone have a modern tractor with PS which still exhibits the violent steering jerk?

Not really much feedback feel at all with the Kioti.. It works fine, just not much feedback. If I remember right the Kubota's had a bit more. Perhaps because it had a mechanical power assisted connection. But like you say, nothing like the old tractors. These modern tractors are just nice and smooth.

/ Steering wheel position #33  

My definition of power steering is a hydraulically assisted mechanical steering.

These tractors (mine in particular) have no mechanical connections from the steering shaft to the axle, only a hydraulic cylinder.

So technically it's hydraulic steering not power steering...and therefore causing the issue of the OP.

It couldn't happen with power steering.

/ Steering wheel position #34  
OP's question related to a wandering steering wheel....the result of hydraulic power steering.

My comment related to the comments people were making related to a spinner being on a wheel and being violently jerked around. I don't think that happens with modern power steering tractors, but certainly does happen with older tractors with different/mechanical steering

/ Steering wheel position #35  
Those hydraulic steering wheels are pretty slippery, what with all that slippery hydraulic fluid. They could be darn near anywhere.:laughing:

Ah, that solves the case of my steering wheel on the 3PT yesterday, couldn't figure out how it got there:laughing:

/ Steering wheel position #36  
section 5 (operation) page 5-20 and page 5-21 start at the section that reads "Precautions When using Power Steering"

Sorry guys - that reference doesn't work in my "Owners Manual". :( (Its called CK25/27/30/35 Printed Jan 2014 - I don't think it is just an Australian version as it has European and US variations listed).

I have 50 hours coming up and I also wondered about the shifting logo. When I couldn't find anything in the manual, I just assumed the steering must be pure hydraulic and not power assisted - but I did try to keep an eye out for anything that might be coming loose.

It was a relief when I read this thread and had you guys answer the question. "There is no such thing as a dumb question if you don't know the answer!!" :laughing:

/ Steering wheel position #37  
Have you ever read your car's entire owners manual? I guess because I never have I'm totally unqualified to drive....Oh wait, it all my years driving I've never been involved in any sort of accident or major breakdown.....hmmm.

You've always known EVERYTHING about ANY piece of equipment you run? The OP was just curious about something he (and me) didn't know about, that in know why impeded his safe operation of the tractor.

Not knowing the entire contents given in the owners manual immediately makes you an unsafe operator of any piece of equipment.
A good driver would never claim to be good based on a no accident status as they will admit right up that not having an accident is more a matter of luck than skill! There are just too many nut jobs out there that didn't read the owners manual causing accidents and not being involved is a matter of LUCK;)

On a serious note There is in many cases a good bit of information in the owners manual that will enhance your ability to operate the machine safely, more efficiently and in some cases even help to make it last longer. So It really should be considered a Must read document with any piece of equipment.

I have seen a few posts here about people who have lost traction with the rear tires when operating on a slope and claim that they use 4 wheel drive now to ensure that it never happens again. I get a chuckle out of this every time I see it because if they read their owners manual it gives the proper way to drive on the slope when you have a load in the bucket and if they follow it they would not have lost the traction in the first place and would have never put themselves at risk to begin with. Now, I know that turning around and driving down the hill in reverse might not sound like fun but in all honesty your front axel isn't designed to carry the weight of the tractor like that going down the hill, in all honesty its worse than having no ballast on the rear and if anyone wonders why we have broken axels 5 and ten years into ownership they can look back at that practice and smile knowing they got lucky that the axel didn't break while going down the hill the wrong direction with the 4 wheel drive engaged causing a more dangerous situation.

Reading the owners manual is not only good from a safety standpoint but can also be good at prolonging the life of your expensive piece of equipment so it is wise to read it cover to cover and foolish not to!

/ Steering wheel position #38  
Not knowing the entire contents given in the owners manual immediately makes you an unsafe operator of any piece of equipment.
A good driver would never claim to be good based on a no accident status as they will admit right up that not having an accident is more a matter of luck than skill! There are just too many nut jobs out there that didn't read the owners manual causing accidents and not being involved is a matter of LUCK;)

On a serious note There is in many cases a good bit of information in the owners manual that will enhance your ability to operate the machine safely, more efficiently and in some cases even help to make it last longer. So It really should be considered a Must read document with any piece of equipment.

I have seen a few posts here about people who have lost traction with the rear tires when operating on a slope and claim that they use 4 wheel drive now to ensure that it never happens again. I get a chuckle out of this every time I see it because if they read their owners manual it gives the proper way to drive on the slope when you have a load in the bucket and if they follow it they would not have lost the traction in the first place and would have never put themselves at risk to begin with. Now, I know that turning around and driving down the hill in reverse might not sound like fun but in all honesty your front axel isn't designed to carry the weight of the tractor like that going down the hill, in all honesty its worse than having no ballast on the rear and if anyone wonders why we have broken axels 5 and ten years into ownership they can look back at that practice and smile knowing they got lucky that the axel didn't break while going down the hill the wrong direction with the 4 wheel drive engaged causing a more dangerous situation.

Reading the owners manual is not only good from a safety standpoint but can also be good at prolonging the life of your expensive piece of equipment so it is wise to read it cover to cover and foolish not to!

Over the years, I actually have read most of every manual I own at one point or another. I also did read through my tractor manual before I even moved it to the barn. But for a car, they all work basically the same, so if I want to know how what the heck that little knob does, I look it up, but I just don't have time to read the several hundred pages of manual, most of which I know.