Stone grabbing/lifting gadget

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #11  
<font color=blue>I was wondering how the 4n1 bucket would be</font color=blue>

I was thinking the same thing, Glenn, and in fact, I am constantly thinking about the 4-in-1 as one of those things I will get as soon as it rains money at my house.
crazy.gif

In my case, and I think for others, the 4-in-1 bucket would be a very expensive add-on, 'cuz unless I want to reduce my lifting power down to almost nothing, I'll also need to get a new tractor to attach it to. My li'l L2500 with its LB400 loader has a lift of only 880-some pounds. I think the 4-in-1 bucket adds a couple hundred pounds, which would bring my payload limit down too far for my liking. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

I would also like to hear from actual 4-in-1 owners.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #12  
Harv,
That is why you change to 1/2" larger lift cylinders./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Does the adding mods and spending money never end?????/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #13  
Hayden:
I think Ed king has an example of what your looking for. Although the pallet grapples would be to small for the rocks, I'm sure your talking about. They would be a good pattern for a larger version. You might also consider a pair of logging tongs with some bigger plates welded to the ends. And of course there are both grapples and clamshell buckets that replace a backhoe bucket.
Oh yes one way to avoid the streaks and scratches left onthe rocks by the teeth or pincers, is to attach pieces of tire tread to them.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget
That's the thing - but it just needs to be much bigger. That only has a 3 or 5 inch jaw width.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget
I've been eyeing the 4 in 1 buckets too lately, partly because of this. I really like the idea of something that can be used from either the loader or BH. The loader is great for picking and transporting, and the BH is great for picking from a pile and placing.

I share Harv's concern about reduced lift capacity, and I think a 4 in 1 runs around $1500 or more which is more than I had in mind. I'm hoping for a few hundred dollars or less.

I stopped by BB Chain today and asked them. He said he doesn't have anythink but knew what I was looking for, and said several people have made them from log grapples. I could start another welding project, but believe there must be a ready-made device out there somewhere.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #16  
Peter,

Check out www.nurseryjaws.com they make a unit ideally suited to this application.

The local nursery here as two of these units - small skid steers with moveable tines in/out- works great as I have used these as well.

Now adapting this to a tractor FEL, that's the next step.

By the way these little machines sell for $$9-12K, but they have saved numerous $ in workmens comp and back issues because of the ease of use and size.

Carl

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #17  
HAYDEN: I saw something interesting that might work for you if it would fit your hoe. It is a 4-in-1 backhoe bucket made by HELAC. This the first one of these I have seen, Check it out at www.helac.com. Go to construction attachments-powergrip. MCHALKLEY would like this site, they have 6-way back hoe bucket attachments.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #18  
another idea is to modify ramrod loose matl. handler. we are in negotiation with ramrod to see if the matl. handler can take a power trac quick attach plate and not interfere with their attachment operation.

here is the sites name: http://www.ramrodequip.com/products.html#attachments

good luck

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #19  
re: 4 in 1 crowd....
I have found the 4 in1 to be the most useful tool with the tractor. I have picked rocks large enough to have the pucker alarm sound while transporting, and for fun have picked a single golf ball sized stone off the ground without pulling a blade of grass. (Not the first time I used it though!)
I am constantly amazed at the capabilities of the 4 in 1. Want more examples? I could get to the point of being boring.......
My 2710 seems to handle everything I try with the 4 in 1, but I would say that because of the added weight of the bucket, etc, I probably would not have ordered one if I had purchased a smaller tractor. Many hours of research here at TBN before my purchase convinced me I would be happy with he 4 in 1, so I included it with the package as I knew it would be hard to add on later. No regrets....

PR

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #20  
dudkboy,

What width 4n1 did you get for your 2710? If it was from WR Long, was it the lightweight or heavy duty version?