Stone grabbing/lifting gadget

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #21  
The 4 in 1 is a 60" bucket, made by ATI. Heavy duty? I think so.... another lesson I learned was when ordering the 2710, I told the dealer I wanted a Long 4 in 1....he wrote down 4 in 1.
And I assumed from the information here that the open and close function would be a joy stick button....I received a separate stick to use that function....my mistake for not being super specific with the dealer. It is a bit of a hassle to use both the loader and 4 in 1 sticks but now I am used to them.
I was a bit miffed at the dealer because I assumed a Long bucket would be attached, and the better joy stick set up, but I emailed Steve Carver, asked about quality considerations.
His reply was that they are both fine tools. So, I lived with what I got, and I am happy with what I can do. Buy and learn. If budget and tractor concerns are met, I cannot think
of a better time and back saver, just in picking up piles of debris, rocks, logs, dirt, gravel........I will stop so I don't get to that boring point, unless you ask me to..!

Dinner at my house for anyone who wants to try mine....

PR

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #22  
I think that a log grapple from a forwarder would be just the thing (ask WoodMills). 'course my favorite cheap tool is a 12' piece of 3/8" chain - works great and doesn't break. Chain makes it a lot easier to swivel the rock to get it in the right position. It is really a big help if you have someone else lowering the bucket.

As for your big grapple you could probably get it fabricated at reasonable cost. I've heard that the welding shop down by Talarico's in Milford does good work.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #23  
Harv,

I have a 4n1 for my JD 4700. Without the 4n1 FEL and the backhoe I would just
have a big grass cutter and gravel pusher. I've done so much work with that
4n1. When I first got the tractor delivered the mechanic that had done its setup
needed a lesson in good workmanship. He messed up two things. One of them
was properly routing my 4n1 hydraulic hoses. As a result my first weekend with
the tractor, I managed to pinch one of the hoses. Anytime I opened or closed
the 4n1 I would spray hydraulic oil. Not nice at all. So I just left it in the most
usefull position for the work I was doing, open, and went on about my jobs. Even
with less than 10 hours on the tractor I felt hamstrung not being able to use the
4n1.

I can't emphasis enough how usefull a 4n1 is for me. Without in the tractor would
be much less usefull. I have been cleaning up after the hurricanes and timbering.
My current work has been cleaning up a few acres for my house site, septic field,
driveway, and "view." I have a pile of the stumps, some in the 36inch size, and
tree trunks, slash, etc piled up as high as the FEL will go. A good 6-8 feet or so.

And I have moved a few big rocks as well. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Now the 4n1 does weigh more than a regular bucket. But its worth it for me.
Not only because of what the 4n1 can do but because its just a strong bucket.
I have a bit over 300 hours on the tractor in 18 months and most of it is playing
bulldozer. The bucket only has one ding in the edge and we did that during
the delivery of the tractor...

I LOVE my 4n1! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Later...
Dan McCarty

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #25  
glennmac, I have a 4 in 1 bucket that I purchased when I got my new tractor 2 weeks ago. After about 18 hours I now know I made the right decision. I have pulled small stumps, transported larger stumps after digging out with the BH, and transported rather large rocks (about 20 so far)... it has performed great. One word of caution! IF transporting something in the jaws (jaws clamped on a stump with the roots hanging below the bucket for instance) go slowly! I had a stump that had to weigh 1,000 lbs clamped.... roots hanging below about 2 feet off the ground when I hit one of those unseen bumps... thanks goodness I was going slow... stump came loose and fell to the ground... It happened so fast that I almost hit it with the front end of the tractor! Same thing happened with a big rock... go slow and carry it as low as you can! Always try to close the jaws all the way, but when you can't... GO SLOW and BE READY! Hitting that stump or rock I'm sure could have caused a very sudden stop (wear your seatbelt) and probably tractor damage.
I love the 4 in 1 (see pictures I posted in JD owning operating)!

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #26  
Just a thought - If the jaws won't close, it might be safer to transport backwards.

The 4 in 1 bucket sounds nice - I'm making do with a chain for now.

-david

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #27  
I think you guys are getting too high tech ($$$). Ever seen Ice tongs? The ones the oldtime icemen carried blocks of ice into the house with. What you need is a three legged version on a chain. You could use it with your loader or backhoe or with a pole boom if the rocks weren't too big. Wish I had one too. Sounds like a project for a country blacksmith.

Chris

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #28  
Seems to me that the Power-Trac "tree hugger" attachment would be just the ticket. Has tong-type scoop action that would appear to work as well for rocks.

Heck, if Charlie, MossRoad and others can adapt non-PT implements to their PTs, can't non PT owners fairly easily adapt this implement to their 3pt hitch with a welded on quick attach plate?

I'm going from description and pictures. Anyone actully own one of these?

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #29  
Kind of a simple fix but I put all the rocks in place for my koi pond just using a lifting strap with a loop end. Just slip it under the rock and when you lift it tightens. Put the rock down and it loosens and you slip it off. (Basically works like a big slip knot). I boomed some 1000 lb rocks in place with my back hoe this way and it worked really well.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #30  
/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gifVery clever/w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif.
I'll have to try that this weekend.

-david