Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #11  
My neighbor had 25 goats killed in one afternoon by another neighbor's Rottweiler and German Shepard mix dog that was allowed to roam free. He got home just as the dog was trying to drag a goat over the fence so he could take it home to snack on. His 357 magnum he carries took care of the dog problem. The neighbor with the dog was all apologetic and promised to pay him for his goats, but never gave him a cent. He didn't even come and help bury them.

I hope you complained to animal control. Virginia seems to have good laws regarding dogs allowed to roam that kill domestic animals. The first time the owner gets warned. The 2nd time the dog is classified as a dangerous animal and put down plus the owner gets a big fine. That's the way it was when I lived in Chesapeake, Va in the '70s. Things may have changed due to location and different laws. I'd surely report the incident to the authorities.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #12  
We fenced in our 42 acre tract with 4 foot net wire with 2 strands of barbed on top. It keeps our dogs inside and others out. Anything that digs under, jumps or flies over is fair game for my target practice with shotgun and rifle. So far we have only lost chicken to the hawks. Last time one bravely killed one of my chickens and sat in a tree close to my porch, he got a good dusting with 7 1/2 shot. I don't think it hurt him too bad as he flew away, but he and his mate haven't been back in about 3 weeks and they were staking out my chickens every day for a couple weeks prior to me peppering him with the #7 1/2 bird shot. That was his last warning shot, now I have #3 shot and if he comes back again, protected or not, I will try to bring him down. He and his mate killed at least a dozen chickens and 3 guinea fowl.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #13  
Livestock guardian dogs. They protect your family and your property including, of course, livestock.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #14  
Livestock guardian dogs. They protect your family and your property including, of course, livestock.
Llamas work as well to a certain extent (in a pasture)... They also keep hawks away from the chickens.

Aaron Z

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #15  
Sorry to hear that this has happened.

The wifey and the youngest insisted for two years that we get chickens. PITA are the chickens. One now has a new name, Miracle, because it got sick and should have died. It lives in a dog kennel in the dinning room until it gains more weight. :rolleyes: We had to give Miracle antibiotics for close to two weeks, twice a day, which saved the birds life. The chicken gets out in the yard once or twice a day by itself because the other birds attack it. I think they know it is sick and thus they hen peck the poor critter.

These things are pets and I danged well know it. When Miracle got sick the wifey did not know what to do. I told her to call the vet, who happens to be a neighbor, and the only vet in the area that treats chickens. I figured it would cost us a LOT more to treat Miracle than to go get a new chick but remember, these things are pets, not farm animals. We got lucky in that the vet charged not one red cent. :shocked: She is using Miracle as a test case since she has treated few chickens but expects to treat more as more people raise back yard chickens. The antibiotics she had on hand from another case and where free but she did not charge us for XRays. :confused3::thumbsup:

I was working at home one day last week and the youngest said there were stray dogs in the yard. Sure enough two black lab puppies were running around the garden. The puppies looked to be 9-12 months old and they were circling the garden like sharks. Why? I moved the Chicken Tank into the fenced garden over the winter so we could let the chickens out without having to watch them too much. The chickens were doing chicken stuff in the garden and the dogs wanted to do dog stuff to the chickens. I should have a planted garden right now but I can't because I have to set up a chicken run to move the Chicken Tanks and chickens into... PITA.

If we had not been home or if the youngest had not look out the window, those dogs might have been able to get into the garden and started killing chickens. The dogs were not barking and I had no way of knowing they were out there. I am surprised the chickens did not squawk. THAT I would have heard.

I would have thought that the bird in a cage would have been safe. Short of building VERY strong, fenced in fowl runs there is always a chance of this sort of thing happening. A month back we saw a raccoon on our place for the very first time. I have always been amazed that we have seen no sign of coons. I built the Chicken Tank to keep out coons and other critters but we let the chickens out in the afternoon after the hawks have sorta settled down for the day. Even then I have seen hawks in trees watching the roaming chickens and we have seen an owl during the daytime doing eyeballing the chickens.

I don't see what you could have done differently except build a very strong chicken run. I am about to put up a run for the chickens but it will only keep out a determined K9 for a short time. The real protection for the chickens is the Chicken Tank but when the chickens are loose in the afternoon they are vulnerable. I might put up some netting in the new chicken run to protect the chickens from hawks and owls though since they are a much bigger threat. The dogs were only the fourth set of dogs I have seen on our place in over a decade. I think they escaped from a house to our SW or W. We also have seen a cat around the house. I can't tell if it is a stray that was dumped on the road behind us or if it is a cat from a house to the W. It has hung around the garden fence a few times which I do not like.

Even with a strong run, one of the Rhode Island Reds likes to fly out of the garden since the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. :laughing::laughing::laughing: If that chicken had been out of the garden the day when the dogs showed up it would not have been pretty. The chicken might escape one dog but two is long odds for the chicken.

Later,
Dan

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #16  
That was his last warning shot, now I have #3 shot and if he comes back again, protected or not, I will try to bring him down. He and his mate killed at least a dozen chickens and 3 guinea fowl.

All raptors are protected in the USA, Gary. If you shoot a hawk, best not to let anybody know.

To the OP: what to do? I spent $2k+ putting an electric perimeter fence in at least in part to keep my neighbor's dogs off my property. One had been taking my chickens. But there is only so much you can do. If you keep poultry, eventually something is going to take a mind to eat it. A fence, a good strong pen, and a hav-a-hart trap are three steps you could take.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #17  
Sorry to hear about your problem. Some good advice in these posts. Seems....you and your family need a new mind set. Living in the rural country is different. Nature has it's rules and predators will kill things if given the chance. We moved from the city. Even there....we had cats killed by coyotes. Since moving to our property.....I have lost cats to coyotes, seen a neighbors cat picked up my an eagle, had bears walk through our property and even had to put down an injured baby elk myself a few weeks back with Game Warden approval. It's just a different world......still better than city life.....but a different pecking order. Some folks deal with it well....others can't adapt. As for your stray dogs.......I love dogs but...in your case...you need to protect your property.....become the predator. Hope things are going better for you....I know you have been going through a lot. Thoughts are with you and your family.....hang tough!

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #18  
A fence, a good strong pen, and a hav-a-hart trap are three steps you could take.

What I was thinking when I read your post, I would add a firearm, donkey or as mentioned, good guard dog such as an Anatolian Shepperd (Google them, I have 2, great dogs)

I have let many a dog go, if my gut told me it was (a one time deal where a dog got loose), but I have had to put down many also. It's the owners and irresponsible people (pet dumpers) that should be hung, but yet stray's have to take the heat for going "astray".

Build good strong pens, expect to need "fort Knox", 1st your livestock/pets have to depend on you for security.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #19  
I have let many a dog go, if my gut told me it was (a one time deal where a dog got loose), but I have had to put down many also. It's the owners and irresponsible people (pet dumpers) that should be hung, but yet stray's have to take the heat for going "astray".

I never found a gun to be that effective, because I could never catch the fool dog in the act of actually attacking anything. I would see it on my property sometimes, and other times, a chicken would disappear. I was sure it was that dog that was doing it, but I never had the heart (or the guts, I suppose) to actually shoot it when all it was doing was walking around.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #20  
I'm lucky now. I've got three dogs and more than a half-mile of property around me. The dogs run free and have never left the property - they hang around the house and me. They also keep strays away, but I have little to protect at the moment. A boy me and my Dad once jumped six dogs while we were hunting groundhogs, and the dogs were attacking our sheep. We got five of the six, and recognized the one that got away. Being a farming community, we simply went to the owner of the living dog and told him we'd seen his dog in the sheep. He calmly handed it over to us. All six were buried with the dead sheep. It was an expensive lesson, but those dogs never troubled us again.