Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #21  
Well its pretty much said. Teach the ladies of the house to use a shotgun and the when of using it. At the same time you hunt those strays down and take care of them. Those dogs are now cold blooded killers for sport. A person maybe next. B

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #22  
Hi.
I agree with most of the other comments.
That is one of the few downsides to living in the country. But no matter where you live, there are things that are tough.
I am not sure what the laws are where you live, but on my farm, anything that is stray gets issued a hot lead injection.
Here we have to take extra precautions as rabies is very common.
But a pit bull on the run is as bad as rabies.
I am a bull terrier owner and have been all my life, but owning a dog like that takes responsibility. One that is not cared for and trained correctly is an issue. One that is looked after correctly is an absolute gem.
Bottom line, lucky it was the bird and not a family member that was the dogs target.
If in doubt, take it out. Easier to live with than a tragedy in the family.
Stick with the country, its a lot better than the city.
Chin up. The grass is only greener on the other side, because the S@!t is thicker

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #23  
Just a side note that might help someone.
A friend walks her small dog on a leash around the neighborhood. (open rural) I gave her a can of Wasp & Hornet Spray to carry with her. It's one of those cans that will spray 12-15'. It will sure beat a short stick! At some point if sprayed in it's face it should turn it away.
Not a bad idea for personal protection either. Of course it's not EPA approved for that.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #24  
A neighbor in Georgia once got scared with a string of recent neighborhood assaults. She took the top off a can of Yard Guard insect spray and popped it on a can of Easy Off Oven Cleaner. She felt much better. It would throw a 15 foot stream of oven cleaner. She never had to use it, but I'm pretty sure it would definitely make an attacker think of other things for a while. And you don't really have to aim it much. Of course it would blind and potentially kill, so it's probably illegal anyway.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #25  
To add a little "levity" to an otherwise somber thread about the perils of country living, I need to throw this story in. Wife and I came home one day only to find one of our stallions going on about something.

I take a quick peek to see what is going on and there are two buffalo outside the paddock. We had purchased the place less than a year before so we had not really met to many neighbors but from driving by, I knew they belonged to the farm over the hill behind us. So, I drove over to their place and spoke with the daughter who knew they were loose and had called her father to come home. I told her to tell him where they were.

By this time, these two bulls as it turned out had made their way around the fence to our back yard and were raising heck with our pine tree wind break scratching themselves. I have pictures somewhere of them drinking out of our bird bath, lol!

So, they then moved over by my other stallion and got him all smoked up. About that time the neighbor shows up. He was not sure he could get them home but with a bucket of grain and some prodding, he managed to get them back to their paddocks.

He and his wife came back over to thank us for letting the daughter know where the buffalo were and to apologize for the incident. He took notice of my "hotstraps" over my gates to keep the horses off. He said that was what he needed to do. Seems the two bulls were interested in greener pastures during that season's dry summer and broke down a gate.

Now, I suppose I could have shot them but they really had not caused a problem (though my stallions kept an eye out on the hill for the next several days). I would have pretty much put a big dent in his breeding program at a time when he was just getting some results. I made a friend that day and not an enemy.

Besides, I would have had to go buy several chest freezers to put up that much meat.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #26  
Don't buy anything! I understand your wife doesn't like it there from your other thread. Now that the pet ducks are out of the way get rid of the place,did you get rid of the horses yet? get your family back to town where she wants to be and maybe with any luck closer to your job that you aren't able to quit and replace with a different one. Then maybe with enough sucking up you'll be able to live the rest of your life as a family.OR wait for the inevitable to do things for you. Free advice and worth as much.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #27  
If dogs are killing livestock.
And you can identify the dogs (photos?)
Then Animal Control will put them down (which can be a bitter lesson for the dog owners too).

I assume the same goes for killing pets.

I don't know much about your family, but part of life in the country will be growing animals, taking them to the butcher... and bringing home some pork chops or steak. And, animals do die.

Obviously you need to be kind, understanding, and helpful. But, you can't prevent the inevitability that everything will die sometime.

This is a good time of year to buy some chicks, ducklings, and goslings. at your local farm store.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #28  
I am late in seeing this thread, and David, I am sincerely sorry this happened. Want to tell you something that happened on my property about ten days ago, I thought about posting the experience in a thread here but didn't. At about 11 am I pulled into my driveway and my next door neighbor came over with his four year old daughter, he asked if I had seen the two dogs that just menaced him and his child and two dogs. He was walking on my property and two large dogs without collars came running at him and his child and pets, he is a policeman but was not carrying a weapon at the time, he told me had he had one he would have used it because the two canines were very threatening. He gave me a description of the dogs that ran off and for the next few days when I was outside I was carrying my .380 just in case, something I don't normally do, and I kept my cats indoors. In the 23 years I have lived here I don't recall having menacing dogs here more than 3 or 4 times, I see a lot of strays and have caught several and tried to return them to the owner, but having dogs that are mean is very rare.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #29  
Stray dogs killing pets and stock?
If it's a known neighbor's pet and first time running loose, I'll give him a stern warning and require replacement of the lost animals.
If it's a stray, or repeated time running loose killing, that calls for shooting them (the dogs) on sight.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods
Don't buy anything! I understand your wife doesn't like it there from your other thread. Now that the pet ducks are out of the way get rid of the place,did you get rid of the horses yet? get your family back to town where she wants to be and maybe with any luck closer to your job that you aren't able to quit and replace with a different one. Then maybe with enough sucking up you'll be able to live the rest of your life as a family.OR wait for the inevitable to do things for you. Free advice and worth as much.

Horses left on 3/17. I got kicked off the property on 3/25.

Trying to buy them a house in town so I can live at the ranch.

Sucking up continously. So far only the 4 year old is ready for me to move back in... She and I built a funeral pyre for the single dead duck (there are many more alive) and then we just hung out together well past dark she and I, up near the former pasture...

David