Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #31  
Stray dogs killing pets and stock?
If it's a known neighbor's pet and first time running loose, I'll give him a stern warning and require replacement of the lost animals.
If it's a stray, or repeated time running loose killing, that calls for shooting them (the dogs) on sight.
We have a neighbor's dog that has one chance left. I know who's it is, have taken it home a once, have shooed it another time. Its a nice dog (looks huskyish, very friendly), but when it gets out, it wants to herd the animals (goats, llamas, cow and horses) which is a big no-no as they REALLY dont like it and one of them is liable to get hurt.
Next time, it goes back to the place they adopted it from (Lollypop Farm) with a "I have had this dog repeatedly harassing my livestock" complaint. They are good at working to make sure their animals are well taken care of after they are adopted, so I am sure that they have a procedure for people who don't control their animals. After that, it depends on how lucky the dog is and how kind my wife is feeling that day.

Aaron Z

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #32  
I wonder if the wife is more traumatized by the death of a "pet duck" than the kid.

4 yrs old is a very formative period in a child's life, and learning about livestock and farms will be important for the rest of her life.

When I was young, we used to name all of our cows. One of them would have been Blacky, probably a bottlefed Holstein steer. Anyway, apparently I came up with the great phrase at the dinner table....

"Isn't Blacky's Tongue Great".... :licking:

Well, apparently it brought up memories of bottlefeeding the calf... and Mom had to choke on it a bit, but just let it slide.

Later, for the most part, we would name the female cows and heifers, but not the steers.

Anyway, country life isn't for everyone. But, I hope you and your family can figure out a way to patch up your differences.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods
I wonder if the wife is more traumatized by the death of a "pet duck" than the kid...

Clifford,

The 4 year old had issues with some of it, but it was the 14 and 12 year old daughters, who had (long story) fully rehabilitated this male duck over the last 6 months, at great levels of effort on their part, and great sacrific by the family. They were traumatized by this, yes.

I know and taught the rule about not naming "food" animals, but they said "we do not eat ducks" so I agreed to that (I love the duck eggs though)...

If we were not having other issues, this might not be so bad, but we are, and it has been very, very bad...

I share your hope, I do truly want reconciliation with wife and daughters. Somedays it seems possible even...
With God all things are possible. Therein lies my hope...

David

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #34  
Seems when it rains it pours for you David. I think anything that is negative now is amplified. Country living necessitates a stout constitution as you are always closer to the natural aspect of living and dying. With a black cloud hanging over you now, a perspective that allows for this tolerance is next to unavailable to you guys. Hanging out with your 4 year old was probably one of your best recent moments even though it's manifestation was ugly. Go back to your roots as a family in order to save what you think you want. I am truly sorry that your transition is not more serene.

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #36  
To add a little "levity" to an otherwise somber thread about the perils of country living, I need to throw this story in. Wife and I came home one day only to find one of our stallions going on about something.

I take a quick peek to see what is going on and there are two buffalo outside the paddock. We had purchased the place less than a year before so we had not really met to many neighbors but from driving by, I knew they belonged to the farm over the hill behind us. So, I drove over to their place and spoke with the daughter who knew they were loose and had called her father to come home. I told her to tell him where they were.

By this time, these two bulls as it turned out had made their way around the fence to our back yard and were raising heck with our pine tree wind break scratching themselves. I have pictures somewhere of them drinking out of our bird bath, lol!

So, they then moved over by my other stallion and got him all smoked up. About that time the neighbor shows up. He was not sure he could get them home but with a bucket of grain and some prodding, he managed to get them back to their paddocks.

He and his wife came back over to thank us for letting the daughter know where the buffalo were and to apologize for the incident. He took notice of my "hotstraps" over my gates to keep the horses off. He said that was what he needed to do. Seems the two bulls were interested in greener pastures during that season's dry summer and broke down a gate.

Now, I suppose I could have shot them but they really had not caused a problem (though my stallions kept an eye out on the hill for the next several days). I would have pretty much put a big dent in his breeding program at a time when he was just getting some results. I made a friend that day and not an enemy.

Besides, I would have had to go buy several chest freezers to put up that much meat.

good story. Now you can tell folks you live "where the buffalo roam".

David, I'm late to the story as usual. As you know, it can sometimes be tough living in the country. I had a peacock in a 10x10 dog kennel and 1 day he was making a ruckus. Luckily a weekend so I was at home. 2 dogs (a pit and a lab mix) were trying to get at it. They had on collars, and I guessed that they belonged to some campers across the county road. Lucky for them they left when a .357 went over their head. I wished I'd had the .357 rat shot CCI's loaded. I hope the best for your situation (I don't know the story) and that you can figure out a way to mend things.

... I hope the best for your situation (I don't know the story) and that you can figure out a way to mend things.

Kyle,

I'm no longer sure it can be mended. But I'm in it to mend it... One way or another, this too shall pass and someday, in some fashion, it will be resolved....

David

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #38  
David you seem to have a conundrum enhanced by 4 females.

The death of the duck should have sparked some serious discussion on their part of if they want city or country.

I'm blessed with only 3 females to "satisfy", MIL, SWMBO, and daughter. I can't count the number of times I've tried to do something to enhance one or all of their lives by buying or building something they have said they wanted, then when they get it it's never used and sometimes scorned.

I have about given up and realize it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, as long as your truly trying to do something you THOUGHT they wanted.

And all your writings about your farm it surely seems you were trying HARD to make a great place for your family. I would steer away from teaching them firearms unless they express some interest, and then it would be better in a controlled environment with a formal instructor teaching them.

However you should ensure they are all (except the 4 yr old) armed with pepper spray or better. Keep several cans by the door. It's for their safety. And make sure they know HOW to use it and are WILLING to use it.

David you seem to have a conundrum enhanced by 4 females.

The death of the duck should have sparked some serious discussion on their part of if they want city or country.

Newbury,

The experiment has failed completely. They now hate where they live.

I am prequaled now and looking for an inexpensive home near Fredricklsburg, where they can have a few ducks/chickens and yet live in/close to town.

I will move back to the ranch and try to fix it up in my spare time with commission checks. That way I'm not crashing on a couch at a buddies home...

NEXT TIME we move to the country it will have to be different... more finished, nicer, and layers of security (fence around "home" for eample).

But all intentions aside, this experiment is a total failure.

I thought I was doing what they wanted, needless to say I have failed...

David

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #40  
Sounds like your only failure was having a cloudy crystal ball about whether they wanted to live in the country or not...