stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #21  
stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts

The dust cover focus on first. No space underneath. The blade is next. Then the hex anti-spin, followed by two Bellevue washers (cup down) when using Gator Blades. It wont allow it to work any other way. The thickness of the blade keeps the anti-spin just above the end of the hex shaft end of the spindle. The Bellevue washers allow the tightening, otherwise the spindle bolt (without Bellevue’s) will bottom out on the spindle shaft before tightening down on the hex anti-spin washer to prevent the blade from spinning about the spindle shaft.

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #22  
Re: stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts

The dust cover focus on first. No space underneath. The blade is next. Then the hex anti-spin, followed by two Bellevue washers (cup down) when using Gator Blades. It wont allow it to work any other way. The thickness of the blade keeps the anti-spin just above the end of the hex shaft end of the spindle. The Bellevue washers allow the tightening, otherwise the spindle bolt (without Bellevue痴) will bottom out on the spindle shaft before tightening down on the hex anti-spin washer to prevent the blade from spinning about the spindle shaft.
What you are describing does not seem to fit the diagram.

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #23  

What you are describing does not seem to fit the diagram.
He has the bellville washers (#110) and the hex washer (#120) mixed up. The washers go between the blade and the hex washer.

Aaron Z

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts
I received the bellville washers recently, but i have not yet had time to put it on. My grass is getting a bit tall and needs mowing but its been too wet and ground too soft this year-- hence the urgency to get this done as soon i can. the dust cover does go on first and doesnt really do anything in terms of space. the only thing the dust cover really does in my opinion is prevent the grease from spinning all over the place if it was overgreased. the blades just holds it in place when bolted down. hopefully after this weekend ill get working on it and report back.

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #25  

He has the bellville washers (#110) and the hex washer (#120) mixed up. The washers go between the blade and the hex washer.

Aaron Z
Re reading, it may be that the Gator blades are too thick and he has had to use his described setup to get around it. This is non optimum because the anti spin washer is smaller diameter - directly against the blade - and therefore doesnt spread the clamp force on the blade as well as would the cup washers.

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #26  
I received the bellville washers recently, but i have not yet had time to put it on. My grass is getting a bit tall and needs mowing but its been too wet and ground too soft this year-- hence the urgency to get this done as soon i can. the dust cover does go on first and doesnt really do anything in terms of space. the only thing the dust cover really does in my opinion is prevent the grease from spinning all over the place if it was overgreased. the blades just holds it in place when bolted down. hopefully after this weekend ill get working on it and report back.
This is a closely controlled assembly. Very little dimensional change of the stack is accommodated. The small thickness of the dust cover is huge in proportion.

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #27  
This is a closely controlled assembly. Very little dimensional change of the stack is accommodated. The small thickness of the dust cover is huge in proportion.

I do not have any feel for the thickness of the dust cover as compared to the cup of the Belleville ( spring, cup) washers. But I trust the factory design accounts for that. And that the other critical surface, where the anti spin washer would bottom out on the spindle, in most cases likely shows little wear on the shaft end.

I got interested in this topic because the setup seems so simple and I did not understand the purpose of the Belleville washers.

Belleville washers are not washers actually, but rather springs. As they are compressed they exert increasing force against the blade, which pushes against the dust cap. Friction between the components holds the blade stationary on the shaft.

Two washers stacked on top of each other in the same orientation doubles the amount of force pushing on the blade. If the two washers were stacked with their curves opposite the force would be halved. But the distance the springs acted over would be doubled.

The bolts that go into the spindle are torqued to about 80 lb-ft. Is this enough to cause the anti spin washer that slips over the shaft hex end to bottom out? Do not know.

Chances are pretty good that the set up is designed so if the anti spin washer is bottomed out when the 80 lb-ft of torque is applied to the spindle bolt, the Belleville washers are not totally flattened. They would then apply a given force to the blade, holding it stationary, but still allow some shock absorbing slip when something hard/solid is struck by the blade.

Like most springs, the cup washers can be reused multiple times unless damaged. But why should they be damaged? I speculate they are damaged when they slip to protect the other mechanical components in the system when something hard is struck.

I think the message here is to first be sure that if your mower calls for two spring washers, that you have two where required. Second is to torque the spindle bolts to the proper torque with a torque wrench. NOT an impact wrench.

Might be a good idea to inspect the anti spin washer to make sure the surface that pushes against the cup washers is not worn. If worn, flip it and replace it next time might be a temporary answer.

I have new blades coming, and ordered a bunch of M12 cup washers. Now looking forward to seeing what I find on my mower deck when I get home later in the week.

Bill

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #28  
Yes... I have to reorder the Bellevue washers and the hex washer because of the Gator blades. The diagram only works with factory dimension and thickness blades.

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #29  
I do not have any feel for the thickness of the dust cover as compared to the cup of the Belleville ( spring, cup) washers. But I trust the factory design accounts for that. And that the other critical surface, where the anti spin washer would bottom out on the spindle, in most cases likely shows little wear on the shaft end.

I got interested in this topic because the setup seems so simple and I did not understand the purpose of the Belleville washers.

Belleville washers are not washers actually, but rather springs. As they are compressed they exert increasing force against the blade, which pushes against the dust cap. Friction between the components holds the blade stationary on the shaft.

Two washers stacked on top of each other in the same orientation doubles the amount of force pushing on the blade. If the two washers were stacked with their curves opposite the force would be halved. But the distance the springs acted over would be doubled.

The bolts that go into the spindle are torqued to about 80 lb-ft. Is this enough to cause the anti spin washer that slips over the shaft hex end to bottom out? Do not know.

Chances are pretty good that the set up is designed so if the anti spin washer is bottomed out when the 80 lb-ft of torque is applied to the spindle bolt, the Belleville washers are not totally flattened. They would then apply a given force to the blade, holding it stationary, but still allow some shock absorbing slip when something hard/solid is struck by the blade.

Like most springs, the cup washers can be reused multiple times unless damaged. But why should they be damaged? I speculate they are damaged when they slip to protect the other mechanical components in the system when something hard is struck.

I think the message here is to first be sure that if your mower calls for two spring washers, that you have two where required. Second is to torque the spindle bolts to the proper torque with a torque wrench. NOT an impact wrench.

Might be a good idea to inspect the anti spin washer to make sure the surface that pushes against the cup washers is not worn. If worn, flip it and replace it next time might be a temporary answer.

I have new blades coming, and ordered a bunch of M12 cup washers. Now looking forward to seeing what I find on my mower deck when I get home later in the week.

Bill
The dust cover is about a millimeter thick. 0.040"
Checking McMaster Carr a Belleville Disc Spring of 1.975" OD x 0.095 TH x ~ 7/8" ID, (P/N 96445K847), has a flat force of 2300 lb. 4600 pounds is about half of the clamp force of a M12 - 1.25 pitch bolt tightened to 80ftlb.

Also, if Im interpreting M12 correctly, as being for a 12MM bolt, those arent going to be right for your application. The bore on the washers used by Kubot is 0.875"​

/ stripped BX 60" deck blade bolts #30  
My BX24 60 inch mower deck had a couple bolts stripped and spindles threads was ruined................................... its M12 - 1.25 . got one spindle cleaned easily - but the middle spindle was a bear....................................

Pretty small spindle bolt so it would be easy to over-torque especially when lubricated.

Just for comparison, the spindles in F3060 either 60 or 72 inch decks have 7/8"-14 threads (BX24 with 12 mm vs. F3060 with about 22.2 mm) and spec 150 ft. lbs. torque.

Interesting :shhh:

Last edited: