Stuck Shovel.

/ Stuck Shovel. #1  

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket. Kawasaki Mule Pro MX SE with 66" snow plow.
Used my Bucket Solutions clamp on shovel that I have had for a while for the first time yesterday late afternoon.

Good news: Worked great removing an old stump. Very impressed. Used it on my quick attach forks.

Other news: Can't get it off the forks. Jiggled it, pounded it, pried it, etc. My guess is that the forks are jammed into the tapering part of the slots. Spoke to Bucket Solutions this morning. Guy said they have never had that problem before. Could almost hear him scratching his head. Said product manager was out but would talk to him about it. Asked that I send photos as well.

Anyone have any good suggestions? (Explosives are not considered a good suggestion). May try putting a chain on it and attaching to a tree and backing up if desperate enough.

So funny how seemingly simple tasks find unexpected ways to become complicated. I seem to have some special talent for that. :laughing:

Will post photo soon.

/ Stuck Shovel. #2  
You will probably break something else using a chain and pulling before they let go of each other. Beating on it with a sledge hammer will probably be a better idea, maybe put tension on it with a chain and give it a few good whacks.

/ Stuck Shovel. #3  
You mentioned quick attach forks. Is it possible to detach one of the forks? If something is binding that may release enough pressure to allow some movement.

/ Stuck Shovel. #4  
Is clamp backed off? That is, is there daylight under threaded clamp screw?

I had a set of clamp on forks that the clamp bolts would get all bent up and make it hard to back off. Would have to get a bigger wrench...and a "wrench extender"...or a grinder...

The other possibility, I'm sad to say, is if the spade's amplified leverage on the bucket gave your bucket a "perma-smile". Is the cutting edge of the bucket now bowed causing the bucket's edge to jam in the spade's slots?
Solutions: Bigger hammer. Chain and tree. If bowed, you could try putting a block of wood under bucket in between spade brackets and lift front end of tractor with bucket using the block as the contact lift point. This may flex bucket to where you can get spade off.

Edit: Just noticed these are stuck on forks and not a bucket. On forks? How? I'd still check to see if you bent something. Those things can do that.

/ Stuck Shovel.
You mentioned quick attach forks. Is it possible to detach one of the forks? If something is binding that may release enough pressure to allow some movement.

Good idea but doubt I can. They are hooked onto the frame they slide on at top and bottom plus bound into shovel.

/ Stuck Shovel.
Photos of shovel on forks.

image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpeg

/ Stuck Shovel. #7  
A little lubrication and sledge hammer might work, I doubt that they will need to go far to release. As another poster mentioned perhaps add a little tension with a chain but not enough to send anything flying. If that doesn’t work take them off the tractor and apply a little heat to the shovel mount; it shouldn’t take much, just enough to expand the metal slightly.

Hopefully the manufacturer will get back to you with a better idea.

/ Stuck Shovel.
Thought of lubrication but reluctant to pour oil or something that will sludge it up. Maybe spray a lot of wd40. Also may try to attach some kind of weight to the shovel and let it dangle.

/ Stuck Shovel. #9  
Even water would work, it's not like you have moving parts to worry about.

/ Stuck Shovel.
True. Just fussy about stuff.