Studding tires

/ Studding tires #1  

skills4lou

Bronze Member
Tractor
ih464
I've seen other threads where people suggest studding tires with $1+/stud special ones. Not wanting to spend $100/tire, I went a litle different route. My IH464 has R1 on the rear and tri-ribs up front. For $6, i bought two boxes of 3/4" hex head sheet metal screws and put two in each lug. It was amazing the difference it made. I went from getting stuck if I dropped a wheel off the pavement to plowing through most anything. The rears are loaded and I have two sets of wheel weights per side, so weight isn't a problem.
If anyone is wondering if studding works, the answer is yes. I just can't see justifying hundreds when the sheet metal screws work so well.

/ Studding tires #2  
I have studs in my tires I bought even though Wi. Don't allow I bought them because I was sliding on the driveway and going in the ditch. I just stay in the driveway 1/4 mile long.

/ Studding tires #3  
I got a pair of boot's with those screw's in them:laughing: They do work well, in boot's also:thumbsup:

ps. I love the Bitteroot Valley out there! I think I bought some jerky & sausage in your town a long time ago at a small butcher shop.

/ Studding tires #4  
I've seen other threads where people suggest studding tires with $1+/stud special ones. Not wanting to spend $100/tire, I went a litle different route. My IH464 has R1 on the rear and tri-ribs up front. For $6, i bought two boxes of 3/4" hex head sheet metal screws and put two in each lug. It was amazing the difference it made. I went from getting stuck if I dropped a wheel off the pavement to plowing through most anything. The rears are loaded and I have two sets of wheel weights per side, so weight isn't a problem.
If anyone is wondering if studding works, the answer is yes. I just can't see justifying hundreds when the sheet metal screws work so well.
skills, what size ( # ) of 3/4" length screws?

/ Studding tires #5  
It cost me to have the studs put in 30 a tire at tirerack

/ Studding tires
I had to find the bin with the extras, and I was wrong the first time. They are #8 x 1/2" hex head.

/ Studding tires #7  
Do those screws ever fall out? I've take a drywall screw out of my truck tire and I hate the idea of giving myself a flat.

/ Studding tires
I haven't had any fall out yet, but I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they never do.

/ Studding tires #9  

I did this with some R1s on my Gravely. Didn't have much opportunity to test it out because I got the 4wd JD just after doing this.

/ Studding tires #10  
I had to find the bin with the extras, and I was wrong the first time. They are #8 x 1/2" hex head.
skills, thanks for the update on the screws. Can you tell us what pattern if any you used or a picture would be special. I am thinking of this instead of grooving my tires. Mostly for grip on grassy side slopes for finish mowing, I'm not sure grooving will improve the grip I want. The R4's I have tend to slide when the ground is dry and hard. When the ground is moist (not the grass) there is more traction. Thoughts?