Studding tires

/ Studding tires
Here's what I did. Pretty minimal, and it made a huge difference.
installstuds.jpgtirestuds.jpg

/ Studding tires #13  
I put in the "GripStud" 1910T screw in with Carbide tips. Three studs per lug. Used on soft glare ice today, they add measurably to tractive force.

Pricey, but there is no room for chains.
There are inclines associated with any work requirement at my place.

/ Studding tires #14  
Here's what I did. Pretty minimal, and it made a huge difference.
View attachment 496783View attachment 496784

Looking at the deep lugs on those tires you probably could even install almost 2" long screws, well probably 1 1/2" for sure.

Im my area (Quebec) studs are illegal on any vehicle over 3000 kilos.
Buddy Tn65 is more than that and it cost him.

Last edited:
   / Studding tires #15  
The short screws are an interesting option. I will probably try them.

/ Studding tires
I'll remove them in the spring, if that happens this year. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm tired of pushing snow around!

/ Studding tires #18  
The only problem with those screws is if they do tear out or fall out, then they will be in your car tires and such. If they stay in, its great. We used to put them in ATV tires and they ripped out like crazy, but those tires were soft and spinning like crazy vs your hard slow turning tractor tires!

/ Studding tires #19  
The best and cheapest studs you can get are called Kold Kutters, they are hex head screws that are hardened and have a dished out head. They are made for studding ice racing tires for motorcycles.
I use them on my wader boots for fishing. They grab on slippery rocks like glue. They last very well. I have used them for 2 seasons of fishing (60-70 trips/season) lots of walking on gravel, rocks and paved areas. They do not come out easily.
You can get different length of threads from 3/8 on up.

approx $20 for approx. 250 screws

here is a link

Home page

/ Studding tires #20  
Thanks for the replies guys. Possibly and dumb question is there a downside besides possibly falling out and ending up in a car tire? I am thinking if I did 1/2" screws that even if one did fall out I might be safe:)