Stump fun

/ Stump fun #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
Stump 2019 (4).jpgStump 2019 (3).jpgStump 2019 (2).jpg

Wife asked me did I have to dig such a big hole! Had this tree cut down a few months ago and decided to dig it up this past Friday and Saturday it was a monster to get out of that hole. I knew before hand that the L45 was not going to pick it up but I thought I could roll it out of the hole with it and that is where it got real interesting.

/ Stump fun #2  
Could you dig a bigger hole next to it and bury it?

/ Stump fun
the wife suggested I use my fancy trailer as she calls it so I tried it but the stump was just to big. at one point the trailer had the tractor completely off the ground.

Stump 2019 (10).jpgStump 2019 (13).jpgStump 2019 (9).jpg

/ Stump fun #6  
Hope your bride took you out to dinner after that. :thumbsup:

/ Stump fun #7  
I had to speak with my bride about wanting something done vs what it takes. It's easy to say:

"I want that stump removed, make it happen." Response: "I'll get to it when the ground is thawed and not muddy."

"Whats taking so long?" Response: "Its a huge stump. Things take time."

"Why do you need to dig such a huge hole?" Response: "Its a huge stump with a mile long tap root the size of a mack truck."

"Why do you need a bigger tractor?" Response: "You want me to remove a huge stump and my current tractor is inadequate for the job"

"Why do you need that big of a tractor?" Response: "because."

"Why is my lawn destroyed?" Response: "You wanted the stump removed. Now we have a hole where there used to be a stump."

"Let plant another tree there." Response: "no."

Not saying my wife is that way, but sometimes it really seems like it. :mur:

/ Stump fun #8  
View attachment 600649View attachment 600650View attachment 600651

Wife asked me did I have to dig such a big hole! Had this tree cut down a few months ago and decided to dig it up this past Friday and Saturday it was a monster to get out of that hole. I knew before hand that the L45 was not going to pick it up but I thought I could roll it out of the hole with it and that is where it got real interesting.

Lighten your load. I suggest washing (most of) the dirt off with a pressure washer or even a garden hose. The dirt that runs back into the hole will help solve your wife's problem with the size of the hole. Once the roots are "clean" you may use a sawzall, chainsaw, hand saw, axe, or chisel to cut some roots. I personally favor a sawzall with a 12" carbide demo blade. The faster speed of a chainsaw dulls the teeth very quickly; the slow speed of an axe gives more time between sharpenings, but sometimes it is impractical to get a good swing at the desired angle.
With the dirt and some of the roots removed you may find ways to thread a chain or strap through the root stubs. Then you would have decide whether to further lighten the load by cutting the trunk off (chainsaw for that) or keep the trunk long for leverage.

About year ago I removed a gnarly, similar sized stump using my L45. The trunk was 2' in diameter. The folding rule is 6'. As I recall, mostly by rolling with the BH, sometimes reaching over the stump, setting the BH and driving forward in lowest range. You may have to dig a longer ramp, but that dirt goes back in the hole.

Stump05.jpgStumpApr18_4.jpg

Last edited:
   / Stump fun #9  
Yeah, I'd say a good portion of your weight there is dirt. Wash it, then commence to loppin' off root sections.

/ Stump fun
as always, you guys are right a lot of the weight was dirt and I was asking a lot from the L45 but I have more confidence in it's ability now and I know when I look at a task if I can do it or not. I did think about the pressure washer but with my bad shoulder and no one here at the time to help me crank it I didn't use it but should have.