Stump fun

/ Stump fun #21  
I've done a couple hundred or more larger than that. I roll them around in the hole and rake as much dirt out of the roots as I can then pull or roll them out. My backhoe is a little larger than yours.

The largest stump I dug out was a sweetgum that was smack dab in the middle of the front yard.

/ Stump fun #22  
Back when I first bought my land I thought I would get a compact tractor with a backhoe to dig up the numerous stumps I would have after clearing the land. I broke down and got my 580K thinking I would sell it and get a backhoe attachment for a compact with the idea that the case would get the abuse. Well I still have the 580K exactly for the reason Woody found out. Large stumps are heavy. That stump is no match for a full size backhoe. I could easily lift it up about 10 feet and then drop it and get most of that dirt off of it. I admire you guys who dig them out with a compact tractor. I know any time on the tractor is fun but never the less you need to be determined to get one out. I get frustrated when it takes more than 5 minutes. Congrats on a job well done (but the other half is moving it).

/ Stump fun #23  
A L45 is stronger than most tractor backhoes. As to burning stumps it’s almost impossible to burn them in one lick or burn a bunch of them. My method is to knock as much as possible dirt off and burn and then repeat the cycle. It’ll probably take 5 cycles for a big stump.

/ Stump fun
Thanks for all the replies the stump is in it's final resting place, I live on a hill and it is off in the wood line no longer in my way. we had that tree cut because it forked and one side was over the house and the other side over one of my out buildings with one of the forks showing some rot I was thinking it needed to go. Had another one cut down in the front yard but it was in the middle of the wife's flower bed and for some reason she decided to put some yard decorations on it instead of digging it up.

/ Stump fun
I did get a bit creative I used the winch on the trailer to pull the stump forward and used the B26 to push and dig a ramp on the backside, after letting the stump back I ran the winch cable past the stump to a tree and doubled back with a snatch block using the hydraulics on the trailer and the winch I laid it down in the opposite direction. then I moved the trailer and filled in the hole which left the stump up on top of the ground ready to be pushed and wiggled down into the wood line. I did use the teeth on the back hoe bucket to remove a lot of the dirt. I did break one strap and one chain but other than my old sore body that was the only damage.

/ Stump fun #26  
^:thumbsup:

Good to hear.
....when you start snapping straps....watch out!!... and keep your head low....

Getting creative with snatch blocks and doubling up the forces can help....but don't lose your head over it!!