Stump fun

/ Stump fun
Hope your bride took you out to dinner after that. :thumbsup:

yes she did and it encouraged her to get the briers out of her flower bed now I guess I'll have to carry her out to eat.

/ Stump fun #12  
. . . but with my bad shoulder and no one here at the time to help me crank it [a pressure washer] I didn't use it but should have.

If you have a bad shoulder I retract my advice about a sawzall. Roots have a tendency to bind, and a sawzall will shake you violently. You will have to be the judge of other methods. Perhaps you can get your wife to "buy in" by letting her wash the dirt. Then see if dirt removal alone allows you to handle the stump

/ Stump fun #13  
Gesus thats a big stump to no let rot for a few years. They make stump grinders for a reason.

/ Stump fun #14  
I think I would have rented a Vermeer stump cutter, had the job done in 2 hours and the mess cleaned up in another 1-2 hours and been done with it. But hey, look at all the fun you had.

/ Stump fun #15  
I have pulled several like that with my mini and I end up digging a ramp out of the hole so I can push/pull/drag it out of the hole. More than once had to use the MX5100 and the Mini to ge the stump where I wanted. It is a pain but once it is done, grade over the hole and plant grass/etc... Know one would ever know it was there a year down the road and if I need to run a waterline or something there is nothing left in the ground to go around, etc...
Good work, it will look great when you are all done!

/ Stump fun #17  
I think I would have rented a Vermeer stump cutter, had the job done in 2 hours and the mess cleaned up in another 1-2 hours and been done with it. But hey, look at all the fun you had.

You're assuming there was such a thing available for rental within a reasonable distance at an affordable rate and when the person needed it.

/ Stump fun #18  
I had to speak with my bride about wanting something done vs what it takes. It's easy to say:

"I want that stump removed, make it happen." .......
......"Why is my lawn destroyed?"

"Let plant another tree there." Response: "no."
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, I'd say a good portion of your weight there is dirt. Wash it, then commence to loppin' off root sections.
Yep. I guess probably >90% is.
You know it's a lot of dirt when my tractor could lift 24' of the tree trunk and not break a sweat, but 2' stump" (& root ball) of same tree sends loader into relief or lifts back tires off ground. When I was clearing my land, I wish I had a pressure washer, not just for reducing weight, but even left outside and upside down (multiple downpours) for 2-3 years, and subject to multiple ROARING bonfires, the stumps just won't burn with all that dirt.

In the shoulda-coulda department: Instead of cutting tree first, attach a cable 15'-25' up and take a lesson on levers from Archimedes of Syracuse (born c. 287 - died c. 212 BC): "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world."
The mechanical advantage will pop the roots right out when pulling, then cut it.

/ Stump fun #19  
In the shoulda-coulda department: Instead of cutting tree first, attach a cable 15'-25' up and take a lesson on levers from Archimedes of Syracuse (born c. 287 - died c. 212 BC): "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world."
The mechanical advantage will pop the roots right out when pulling, then cut it.

Yep. I have learned that the hard way.

/ Stump fun #20  
Rather than pressure wash, I've used the backhoe to scrape/break the dirt off the stump. Put the teeth into it, wiggle them, lift the stump (with the teeth embedded into the dirt) and let it drop...roll stump around (using teeth into the dirt) to break it up.... pinch stump between bucket & dipper stick to help break dirt up...

Go back a week later after the dirt dries out....do it again....

I've had good luck getting stumps pretty clean and prepared for the burn pile.

Once in the burn pile, if I still have dirt insulation problems.... I again, use the hoe to break the dirt up and put stump in my next fire.

Not met a stump yet (and I've pulled dozens of BIG ones out of the ground) that I've not been able to burn to ashes after getting the dirt off. They are all gone....up in smoke.