Stump Grinder accident

/ Stump Grinder accident #11  
What a ridiculous statement

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

Real life often seems ridiculous to those that see a bogeyman behind every tree ... Me?? I'll take life as it is, thank you, rather than attempt to make the world a sterile place where accidents do not happen ....

All part of life!

/ Stump Grinder accident #12  
Real life often seems ridiculous to those that see a bogeyman behind every tree ... Me?? I'll take life as it is, thank you, rather than attempt to make the world a sterile place where accidents do not happen ....

All part of life!

So you don't even look before walking across the street by that line of logic.

/ Stump Grinder accident #14  
   / Stump Grinder accident #15  
Real life often seems ridiculous to those that see a bogeyman behind every tree ... Me?? I'll take life as it is, thank you, rather than attempt to make the world a sterile place where accidents do not happen .... All part of life!

In Paramedic school I was taught that there are no accidents...

Let me elaborate;

Almost ALL "accidents"can be prevented!

Let's take the woman driving down the road texting that collides head on with a tractor trailer.

Could her death have been prevented in this instance; yes

Don't know the story behind this "accident" but chances are it could have been prevented.

In a rush, slippery surface, guards removed etc etc.

People that choose to "take life as it is" end up like this guy; an amputee or dead.

Situational awareness has much to do with "accidents"

After 16 years on the job I have yet to find one true "accident" that could not have been avoided with a little forethought,attention of the task at hand and preventative maintenance/inspection!

I had a wake up call a few years back where I almost lost a thumb; reason...

Rushing to do a job with improper tools and inadequate prep using brute strength instead of stepping back and assessing the dangers at hand.

Don't know about you but I'll keep my limbs thank you

/ Stump Grinder accident #16  

Let me elaborate;

Let's take the woman driving down the road texting that collides head on with a tractor trailer.

Could her death have been prevented in this instance; yes

Don't know the story behind this "accident" but chances are it could have been prevented.

In a rush, slippery surface, guards removed etc etc.

People that choose to "take life as it is" end up like this guy; an amputee or dead.

Situational awareness has much to do with "accidents"

After 16 years on the job I have yet to find one true "accident" that could not have been avoided with a little forethought,attention of the task at hand and preventative maintenance/inspection!

I had a wake up call a few years back where I almost lost a thumb; reason...

Rushing to do a job with improper tools and inadequate prep using brute strength instead of stepping back and assessing the dangers at hand.

Don't know about you but I'll keep my limbs thank you

Exactly my point ... All accidents can be prevented .....

If we don't get outta' bed in the morning.

I've made it this far with all my limbs, and everything else, intact ... I'll go the rest of the way as is!

/ Stump Grinder accident #17  

Let me elaborate;

Not really true at all. Some accidents can be prevented. Some risks may not be assumed, other risks can be managed, and others you have little control of and you get to decide if the risk vs. reward makes sense. If it does, then you assume the risk.

Let me give you an example. When I go for a bicycle ride for exercise, I wear a rear view mirror on my helmet. The plan is to watch vehcles coming up behind me and head for the ditch if they head for me. Sometimes I don't see the vehicle that overtakes me, as I'm daydreaming or my attention is diverted. rarely there's a cliff or no way to swerve. I manage some risk and assume some more. But I cannot with 100% certainty, prevent all accidents.

Same thing flying my aircraft. I preflight, check weather, try to be safe, but unfortunately mother nature sometimes dishes out more than we or our little planes can deal with. The key is to learn where and when that might happen, and do your best to avoid those circumstances. But I do love flying, though I have lost friends . . .

be careful,

bumper

/ Stump Grinder accident #18  
Not really true at all. Some accidents can be prevented. Some risks may not be assumed, other risks can be managed, and others you have little control of and you get to decide if the risk vs. reward makes sense. If it does, then you assume the risk. Let me give you an example. When I go for a bicycle ride for exercise, I wear a rear view mirror on my helmet. The plan is to watch vehcles coming up behind me and head for the ditch if they head for me. Sometimes I don't see the vehicle that overtakes me, as I'm daydreaming or my attention is diverted. rarely there's a cliff or no way to swerve. I manage some risk and assume some more. But I cannot with 100% certainty, prevent all accidents. Same thing flying my aircraft. I preflight, check weather, try to be safe, but unfortunately mother nature sometimes dishes out more than we or our little planes can deal with. The key is to learn where and when that might happen, and do your best to avoid those circumstances. But I do love flying, though I have lost friends . . . be careful, bumper

I must say if your daydreaming riding a bicycle in traffic or flying an airplane you have other issues that I cannot begin to understand.

As for flying the little plane; one of my first bad calls was with an ultralight.

Over zealous inexperienced pilot in high winds; could have been prevented! If it's borderline weather for your craft don't go fly plain and simple.

To try and mitigate risks is playing chicken with fate and unfortunately I cannot begin to count the poor soles that have come up short in this game.

I've done PLENTY of risky stupid things as a young man!

One was riding a motocross bike at high speeds on public roads. Well I came home from a trip with my parents (was 13 at the time) and my best friend I rode with had been killed by a fuel truck on the same public road we always rode on.

Let's agree to disagree on some points

Stay safe!

/ Stump Grinder accident #19  
I must say if your daydreaming riding a bicycle in traffic or flying an airplane you have other issues that I cannot begin to understand.

Let's agree to disagree on some points

Stay safe!

Unless you are wired very strangely indeed, more the robot than the human, then you will not find it possible to concentrate and focus 100% for any significant period of time exceeding a few hours. Oh for sure, when piloting, when departing the busy terminal area and approaching to land, it's 100% focus, but with auto pilot on and in cruise, it's a rare pilot indeed who can maintain that level of full on attentiveness without collapsing when he opens the cockpit door! In truth, we are human and minds wander, especially while doing mundane tasks. When the predator approaches, the adrenaline dumps, we are 100% on it - - but that level of focus cannot be sustained continuously.

If you do a search on human concentration, you will find that some say 45 minutes max, then a 15 minute break. Some individuals can concentrate for longer, of course. Some will concentrate for shorter periods interspersed with very short "breaks", mind wanders for 30 seconds, that sort of thing. Some, me included, believe that concentration is not always, or maybe even often, an on-off thing, the brain can decrease the level of concentration, i.e. your brain can still process information from your eyes while you think about something unrelated.

Edit: I forgot to address your bicycling comment. "Bicycling in traffic" connotes riding on a congested city street - - that is not what one does whilst riding in Douglas County NV. We ain't city folk.

bumper

/ Stump Grinder accident #20  
As a Medic and Firefighter I have been trained and have learned to Multi-task; not daydream about several ongoing life threatening issues and how to solve them.

Some times I have failed but hey that's what people do; is die(sounds harsh but true)

I have run numerous calls back to back in high pressure situations that are physically and mentally draining.

This has transpired to my everyday life of being in the moment whatever the task at hand. So far it has kept me safe!