Stump Grinder accident

/ Stump Grinder accident #31  
Your allowed your own beliefs and opinions even though they are WRONG!

You just keep your head under the sheets/head in the sand and leave reality to the ones who see it everyday on the streets, fields, construction sites, workplaces and homes.

Narrow-minded | Define Narrow-minded at Dictionary.com

Pretty much describes your POV no?

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

Hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like you think because a person disagrees with you, they are WRONG, have their head in the sand, and are narrow minded. That old saying about a black pot and kettle comes to mind.

I think this thread has sunk low enough that I'll be stepping off now.

bumper

/ Stump Grinder accident #32  
Good read here 👎

Lol, well I stuck it out like.

This is an incident hopefully others can learn from. A saying comes to mind.
"Know safety, No Pain. No Safety, Know Pain!"

I don't always live by this but I try more and more the older I get.

Technically all accidents can be avoided with extreme bubble boy mentality. :)

As for real world, most can be avoided. I like "enrich" see accidents every day. Some minor, some tragic and most can be avoided.

From a bad sliver where gloves could of been worn, or a foot caught in a loading dock. (I saw this one a few weeks ago). I showed up and this mans foot was caught in a hydraulic lift. I pushed the control button to release the stuck man. He stood up and said thanks. He was standing and said it was sore but feels much better. The fire department arrived and took off his shoe. 4 toes were crushed. The man tried to refuse going to the hospital and said hed be fine. SHOCK! Fire department forced him to go. Probably lost his toes. This could of been prevented easy as be was trying to beat the lift.

As for safety switches, devices, contraptions, I do like our government collecting all injuries and how they happened and trying to protect us from ourselves. Some may be a little overwhelming and or expensive but if it saves lives, limbs etc its probably cheaper. After walking in my cousins basement, his house is old and it shows back in the day, the electrical wiring is exposed on ceramic pucks through the joists. I am glad they have since upgraded electrical codes.

We can say many safety devices that we are thankful for. I can only think of 1 off the top of my head that frustrates me. The seat switch in my tractor. It's very sensitive! My wife is 5'2" and can't drive my tractor. She is not tall enough with the seat all the way forward to push on the pedal without the seat switch thinking there is no operator and shutting off. This switch will need to be altered. I won't remove or bypass is but I need to make I less sensitive.

/ Stump Grinder accident #33  
Good read here 👎

Lol, well I stuck it out like.

This is an incident hopefully others can learn from. A saying comes to mind.
"Know safety, No Pain. No Safety, Know Pain!"

I don't always live by this but I try more and more the older I get.

Technically all accidents can be avoided with extreme bubble boy mentality. :)

As for real world, most can be avoided. I like "enrich" see accidents every day. Some minor, some tragic and most can be avoided.

From a bad sliver where gloves could of been worn, or a foot caught in a loading dock. (I saw this one a few weeks ago). I showed up and this mans foot was caught in a hydraulic lift. I pushed the control button to release the stuck man. He stood up and said thanks. He was standing and said it was sore but feels much better. The fire department arrived and took off his shoe. 4 toes were crushed. The man tried to refuse going to the hospital and said hed be fine. SHOCK! Fire department forced him to go. Probably lost his toes. This could of been prevented easy as be was trying to beat the lift.

As for safety switches, devices, contraptions, I do like our government collecting all injuries and how they happened and trying to protect us from ourselves. Some may be a little overwhelming and or expensive but if it saves lives, limbs etc its probably cheaper. After walking in my cousins basement, his house is old and it shows back in the day, the electrical wiring is exposed on ceramic pucks through the joists. I am glad they have since upgraded electrical codes.

We can say many safety devices that we are thankful for. I can only think of 1 off the top of my head that frustrates me. The seat switch in my tractor. It's very sensitive! My wife is 5'2" and can't drive my tractor. She is not tall enough with the seat all the way forward to push on the pedal without the seat switch thinking there is no operator and shutting off. This switch will need to be altered. I won't remove or bypass is but I need to make I less sensitive.

/ Stump Grinder accident #34  
90 % of accidents probley can be avoided with safety an forethought the remaining is in gods hands! The deer that runs in front of your car causing a accident, where's the negligence , walking down the street a car has a blow out and runs over pedestrians , you may say bad tire but new tires can blow. sometimes it's just fate!

/ Stump Grinder accident #35  
90 % of accidents probley can be avoided with safety an forethought the remaining is in gods hands! The deer that runs in front of your car causing a accident, where's the negligence , walking down the street a car has a blow out and runs over pedestrians , you may say bad tire but new tires can blow. sometimes it's just fate!

Jesse,

I agree with most but;

Deer example; people panic. With proper attention to your surroundings, scanning ahead, obeying speed limits and slowing down when in known deer populated areas, steering towards the hind quarters and not panicking most deer can be avoided!

Most everyone OVERDRIVES conditions and overreacts to situations.

Tire blow out; More of the same steer straight ahead both hands on the wheel (not texting) and do not touch the brake allow car to slow on its own. I know people panic and cause "accidents" that could be avoided but hey I'm human too!

/ Stump Grinder accident #36  
But there are car accidents that you didn't cause and can't avoid. I was driving on I-70 one night when the limit was still 55. I was doing about 62 or so. I went around another car and had returned to the driving lane. All of a sudden Camaro and a Charger(?) come blasting by me moving at least 80 if not more. What if I had still been in the passing lane?

Another one that would be exceedingly rare. Being on the ground during a plane crash.

Another would be walking down the street when a load of whatever fell off a flatbed. I knew a beautiful 17 year old lady that was walking down the strret in my hometown. The flatbed made the turn past of her on the corner she was standing on. The roll of chain link fence came loose and fell on her. Of course she didn't survive. It was in a way the truckers faullt for not checking/securing the load; but he wasn't found to be directly responsible. It was an accident but might considered more as an "act of god".

/ Stump Grinder accident #37  
.............OSHA comes to mind... Those college educated pencil pushers who hamstrung American manufacturing by making it impossible to compete in the Global Marketplace.................

Every OSHA rule came about because of preventable injuries/deaths; some say the are written in blood and it wasn't any "college educated pencil pusher" who came up with them, they were proposed by people who were tired of seeing their fellow workers being injuries and dying because of lack of safety rules.

At one time, in some portions of the country, one out of every two linemen hired would perish. Today it's still just as hazardous a trade as it was then but due to such things as OSHA, linemen can expect to "live long and prosper" and retire after a full career in the trade as I did.

Whenever I see someone stating that "you can't avoid accidents" I always think that they are just rationalizing their inability to analyze a situation and take preventative measures.

/ Stump Grinder accident #38  
But there are car accidents that you didn't cause and can't avoid. I was driving on I-70 one night when the limit was still 55. I was doing about 62 or so. I went around another car and had returned to the driving lane. All of a sudden Camaro and a Charger(?) come blasting by me moving at least 80 if not more. What if I had still been in the passing lane? Another one that would be exceedingly rare. Being on the ground during a plane crash. Another would be walking down the street when a load of whatever fell off a flatbed. It was in a way the truckers faullt for not checking/securing the load; but he wasn't found to be directly responsible. It was an accident but might considered more as an "act of god".

"I went around another car and had returned to the driving lane. All of a sudden Camaro and a Charger(?) come blasting by me moving at least 80 if not more. What if I had still been in the passing lane? ".

Well in my world you would have seen the cars coming as I have been trained to look in the rear view mirror even when stopping at intersections; to control the cars behind me so I don't get rear ended.

Can't comment on plane crash don't know what your getting at.

" I knew a beautiful 17 year old lady that was walking down the strret in my hometown. The flatbed made the turn past of her on the corner she was standing on. The roll of chain link fence came loose and fell on her. Of course she didn't survive."

Sorry for your loss.

This was fully the truck drivers fault for not properly securing his load!

All I am getting at is to expand your point of views and open your minds to a new or different way to look at things. Like I have stated almost all accidents are preventable

/ Stump Grinder accident #39  
Double post

Last edited:
   / Stump Grinder accident #40  
Every OSHA rule came about because of preventable injuries/deaths; some say the are written in blood and it wasn't any "college educated pencil pusher" who came up with them, they were proposed by people who were tired of seeing their fellow workers being injuries and dying because of lack of safety rules. At one time, in some portions of the country, one out of every two linemen hired would perish. Today it's still just as hazardous a trade as it was then but due to such things as OSHA, linemen can expect to "live long and prosper" and retire after a full career in the trade as I did. Whenever I see someone stating that "you can't avoid accidents" I always think that they are just rationalizing their inability to analyze a situation and take preventative measures.

Well said!