Sub soiler on a FEL

/ Sub soiler on a FEL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, thinking of Randall and his subsoiler reminds me of a thread a while back. I think Randall invented the poor man's backhoe claw...Hmmm. By the way, that's a beautiful place you live in Randall, looking at the background in your pics.

DfkRug...was it you that also made a claw to go on your backhoe or trackhoe?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/54022-backhoe-frost-point-ripper-tooth.html

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks Dave
I can also turn the SS around and use it the other direction and pull it backwards as well. I built my adapter a little beefier out of concern that I might twist the Torque tube on the FEL and I wanted the adapter to not flex.
In my testing I initially saw flexing on the outer edges at the top and I added a square plate to the top on the outside edge of the plate and Quick hitch. I would rather bend/brake an implement than the FEL. I also have a shear pin on the SS in case the pull or push is to much.

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #42  
DfkRug...was it you that also made a claw to go on your backhoe or trackhoe?

No, I have not made one yet, but it was talked about in another thread.
I have the steel cut and the tooth I will be using....I just have not fit it
in my schedule to weld it up. It is a similar idea to the project you linked
to. My approach is a little different: I am essentially making a backhoe
bucket that is so narrow that it has 0 volume and only one industrial
forged tooth.

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #43  
Here is one already cut and ready to be mounted. Monster claw.. 22 in, 3/4 in thick

Attachments

• zp_ripper.jpg
    zp_ripper.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 167
   / Sub soiler on a FEL #44  
Hi JJ,

Looking at that yellow claw, it looks like it would work better if the front edge was angled or sharpened. My subsoiler has an angled front edge which allows it to slide thru the ground and cut roots better, (and if you're not watching...phone lines, pvc pipe too).

/ Sub soiler on a FEL
I got a little seat time on the tractor today and I thought I would test the sub soiler a bit. It looks like a giant mole has been busy here. The tractor will run out of traction if you sink it to deep but it meets the intended purpose.
Yea I know I could have done it with the Sub Soiler on the back but then it wouldn't have been much of a test. I intend on using it mainly for grubbing around tree roots and the like. It works best by driving forward and sinking it in the ground and then using the curl of the bucket to break it out.

Attachments

• HPIM2004a.jpg
    HPIM2004a.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 231
  • HPIM2005a.JPG
    HPIM2005a.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 185
  • HPIM2008a.jpg
    HPIM2008a.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 215
   / Sub soiler on a FEL #46  
I needed to dig a trench today about 8" deep. Ground is frozen down about 4 inches (not very deep). Put the subsoiler on my FEL. I took the spade off of my potato plow and busted 2 narrow trenches about 8" apart. Then, put the plow back on and removed all the loose dirt. It worked exceptionally well. I was impressed. It sure was nice having it up front, being able to reach under the deck some, and able to put down pressure on it.

Thanks TBN for all the good ideas! :)

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #47  
I would be affraid I'd bend up my loader arms I'd expect three point would where a subsoiler belongs?

I've not read entire post I'm certain others have probably discussed already

Joel

/ Sub soiler on a FEL
I would be afraid I'd bend up my loader arms I'd expect three point would where a subsoiler belongs?

I've not read entire post I'm certain others have probably discussed already

Joel

I agree that you shouldn't get real aggressive but if you think about it you stick your bucket into a pile and rollback with the full Hyd force and sometimes it will not break it out. I go fairly slow and the tractor will loose traction before anything starts stressing. I will not ram it in the ground just like I would do my bucket that way. For sure the SS does better on the back (and it will still fit on back) but some times it can be handy this way. Like grubbing roots stick it in the ground and roll back the stress is on the SS and not so much on the FEL or tractor ar not a lot more than the Bucket would be.

/ Sub soiler on a FEL
I needed to dig a trench today about 8" deep. Ground is frozen down about 4 inches (not very deep). Put the subsoiler on my FEL. I took the spade off of my potato plow and busted 2 narrow trenches about 8" apart. Then, put the plow back on and removed all the loose dirt. It worked exceptionally well. I was impressed. It sure was nice having it up front, being able to reach under the deck some, and able to put down pressure on it.

Thanks TBN for all the good ideas! :)

Where are the pics we love pictures.

/ Sub soiler on a FEL #50  
Where are the pics we love pictures.

Sorry, it was snowing and I wanted to get this done while the ground was still frozen (so as to not make a complete mess of the area). I then had to hurry-up and remove the ripper and put the snow plow on.

I'll try to take some pics of the rig soon.