Submerged tractor

/ Submerged tractor #11  
depending on how deep you were in don't forget about the hydraulic res..rear end and trans oils

/ Submerged tractor #12  
Normal for a mechanical fan to get sucked into the radiator in water. Hopefully it didn't cut your fins.

/ Submerged tractor #13  
Air filter, or not?

If it was running without a filter, the first cyl that sucked in a load of water, probably has a bent rod.

If it has a filter, it probably smothered itself before it was able to suck any water in.[/QUOTE

I was running with the air filter in. Am I right in assuming that if I can crank it by hand smoothly I might be alright with regard to bent rods ?

It will probably run, but might have a knock from that one cyl.

/ Submerged tractor #14  
this one have an oil bath air filter?

i think i'd pull the fan belt if the fan is in the rad before turing it over.

can't ait to hear it it turns over or not.

soundguy

/ Submerged tractor #15  
You must find out if it has a bent rod. It might even crank and run with a bent rod. Might run for a whole day. When the rod flings out, be ready to buy a block, crank and/or head.
Don't forget to change the tranny and rear end oil.
You might be able to comb the radiator fins with a special comb. Recommend taking radiator to a shop and have them rod it.
It gives me chills to read about a tractor going under water. You got lucky. Glad you're here to post. You might even save someones life from this lesson.

/ Submerged tractor #16  
too bad he didn't have time to at least kill the engine before it went under.. still even killed.. I've seen valves suffer from that water hitting them..

soundguy

/ Submerged tractor #17  
Might sound like a stupid question, but could any damage have occurrred by the hot block hitting the cold water....this assumes the pond was cold, the OP made no indication of where he lives. Back when I was teenaged, I rode my cycles offroad, and was always cautioned by those older than me not to submerge the hot engine in water, but the engines of my cycles were mainly made of aluminum.

/ Submerged tractor #18  
Ive had a couple cars in my shop that went thru deep puddles sucked water in and both had bent rods on one cyl and needed replacement engines was how we fixed them anyway.

After pulling the plugs and spinning the engine they would bind up where the rod would hit the cyl wall.

I got one to run just to get it moved around since I knew we would put an engine in it anyway and it knocked pretty bad. If I had rebuilt that engine it would have had deep scratches in the lower cyl wall.

It would have ran ok honed out good and with a new rod and rings but blow by would be an issue most likely in a case like that.

So I wouldn't recommend trying to spin it much if it seems to bind after the water is out or you may hurt it where putting in a new rod still wont make it right.

If its a flat head checking for a low piston compared to the rest would be easy on an ohv engine short of pulling the head and using a depth mic it would be difficult.

/ Submerged tractor
I actually did this late last fall in Michigan so the water was cold but not freezing. I'd say probably around 45 degrees. Sounds like most of you guys are pretty mechanically savvy so when people say to crank the engine manually I'm not aware of what exactly to do. What's the procedure? At least the fan mystery is solved.

/ Submerged tractor #20  
I actually did this late last fall in Michigan so the water was cold but not freezing. I'd say probably around 45 degrees. Sounds like most of you guys are pretty mechanically savvy so when people say to crank the engine manually I'm not aware of what exactly to do. What's the procedure? At least the fan mystery is solved.

If you are like me, to turn the engine over manually you remove the plugs, then somehow fit a crank, ratchet handle, or breaker bar to the front of the crankshaft to rotate the engine slowly. I am rusty on this, last time I performed the operation was about ten years ago to my brother's restored Model A he had out here...if I recall right, there was a socket on the front of the engine I could fit a crank to. If I were not so lazy I'd run out and look at the front of the engine on my NAA Ford to see if it has a crank socket itself.