Submerged tractor

/ Submerged tractor #31  
i'd have at least filled the cyls with diesel .. heck.. entire engine with diesel.... drain the tranny and diffy and hyds and fill ALL with diesel vs letting it set up and rus tlike that.

bet every roller bearing and journal in there is rusted..

soundguy

Oh absolutely that would have been a great idea bet he wishes that he did too that sure would have gone a long way keeping it viable until he could tear it down and fix it right.

/ Submerged tractor #32  
Wow, been sitting, how long???? Might just have to really become a mechanic....or crack the checkbook for another one. Sounds like a real project coming up. Jy.

/ Submerged tractor #33  
i've rejuvenated submerged machines... but somebody got then drained and filled with oil before letting them set. even though they set under water a couple weeks.. it is when they are out of the water that the rust gets them..

soundguy

/ Submerged tractor #34  
i've rejuvenated submerged machines... but somebody got then drained and filled with oil before letting them set. even though they set under water a couple weeks.. it is when they are out of the water that the rust gets them..

soundguy
Okay, i bought a MB diesel engine that had only had "a little water down the injector"...I tryed to drive the piston out with a 4x4 block and sledge. Soaked it in diesel for a week and then kroil oil for a week. that piston is still in the block...

/ Submerged tractor #35  
going in hot vs statonary with rising water makes a difference too.

IE.. driving into water is mre damaging that a tractor setting there and water rising and coveringit.

the one I saved was a flood victom from katrina from lousianna.

soundguy

/ Submerged tractor #36  
I was a rebuilder and used/salvage car dealer for many years.

Once I bought and rebuilt a theft recovery Tacoma nice v6 4wd automatic ext cab loaded up 70k miles only had one fender bent and it came out out of a fresh water sand pit so I thought I was ok going to get it on and make some money on this one.

NOT even close it was a nightmare from hail lucky a good friend bought it and knew he may have electrical trouble because I told him he probably would I had fixed everything I was aware of he knew that.

Well he only had one issue and that was an SRS seat belt retractor went shorted and turned the airbag lite on long story short never again.

I did make him a good usable truck and he still has it but thats the last under water one for me I didn't make any money on it whatsoever.

/ Submerged tractor #37  
well as some one has said bent con rods are more than litly if she was runing also water damage to the head if she has turned enough to damage it

then i would say its juast a case of drying her out puting new big end and small end shells in and assesing any other damage with out seeing her and hearing her run its very dificult to say

ask the older lads around wich most probs will not be on this but they have seen it time and time again do not worry lad your not the onaly 1

/ Submerged tractor #38  
a wet tractor with 5 wires and very basic elecricals on it and a wet truck loaded with electricals IMHO.. are 2 totally different things..

soundguy

/ Submerged tractor #39  
Soundguy said:
a wet tractor with 5 wires and very basic elecricals on it and a wet truck loaded with electricals IMHO.. are 2 totally different things..

soundguy

Yup. A Massy 135 and a Toyota tocoma are 2 different things. No body computer on a Massy. I think the Tacoma got off easy.

/ Submerged tractor #40  
yep.. the average old tractor from the 50's might have a starter, generator and voltage regulator as electricals.. plus a few switches and a relay or two..

chances are ALL but the switches could be salvaged with prompt cleaning...

not always so with things on printed circuit boards hidden all over the vehicle..

soundguy