Submerged tractor

/ Submerged tractor #21  
Be very gentle turning it over by hand.
Don't hesitate to split the tractor and drop the oil pan at the first sign of binding. Sometimes it gets ugly. :(

/ Submerged tractor #22  
I actually did this late last fall in Michigan so the water was cold but not freezing. I'd say probably around 45 degrees. Sounds like most of you guys are pretty mechanically savvy so when people say to crank the engine manually I'm not aware of what exactly to do. What's the procedure? At least the fan mystery is solved.

You can use the starter if you use a starter button and just bump it by hitting it with the palm of your hand quick or a socket on the front crank bolt is what these guys are talking about. :thumbsup:

/ Submerged tractor #23  
You can also just jack up a rear wheel, make sure you don't have differential locked if it has that or not in 4wd and slowly spin a tire with it in gear. Be careful because you will have some gear mutiplication working against you if it is going to bind up. 1 wheel turn will be ? engine turns.

/ Submerged tractor #24  
I'am not sure but your saying you did this late last fall and your now just getting to do this stuff????. I'am not sure if you drained any of the water when it happened if not??your due for a motor overhaul now!!! Any water that would have been on top of a piston would have drained into the oil pan by now.If there was lots of water in the oil pan plus in the hydralics man are you going to have to rebuild this tractor.Sorry for the bad news but thats what it sounds like to me.Then again it's going to depend on how deep it was in the water and how much made its way into the oils etc:.Larry

/ Submerged tractor #25  
I'am not sure but your saying you did this late last fall and your now just getting to do this stuff????. I'am not sure if you drained any of the water when it happened if not??your due for a motor overhaul now!!! Any water that would have been on top of a piston would have drained into the oil pan by now.If there was lots of water in the oil pan plus in the hydralics man are you going to have to rebuild this tractor.Sorry for the bad news but thats what it sounds like to me.Then again it's going to depend on how deep it was in the water and how much made its way into the oils etc:.Larry
If any water got into the cylinders at all..........the cylinder walls will be rusted, as well as the rings..........we're talking 6 months or so of sitting after it was submerged.

Definitely needs a rebuild.

/ Submerged tractor #26  
It does seem a long time to leave it before thinking about fixing the problem

But you may have been lucky

You may find it is just water in the electrics as it a gas engine it may have cut out before any damage occured

Then again it may be worse i had the job of repairing my brothers engine that he got on a little deeper than it could swim and had to cut the corner off the con rod to get it out

once that was done we removed the head and replaced the damage rod and it has been sweet since

the rod still hang on a nail in front the vice to remind him of his endevers

i would pull the plugs and turn it over have alook inside if all feels good then swing it over and see what happens

You didn't say if you tried to start it or not before you parked it up

/ Submerged tractor
It got pretty cold right after I sunk it and hasn't really warmed up here in SE Michigan yet so I haven't been too inclined to mess around with it yet. I did turn the ignition once after pulling all the plugs and just got clicking, no turnover.

/ Submerged tractor #28  
It got pretty cold right after I sunk it and hasn't really warmed up here in SE Michigan yet so I haven't been too inclined to mess around with it yet. I did turn the ignition once after pulling all the plugs and just got clicking, no turnover.

OUCH! You will have most likely to pound the pistons out when you overhaul it and thats before boring or sleeving it and thats just the engine the rest will be....well I am sure glad its not me sorry to hear about it man but you have to get on it within hours if you hope to salvage it once they take on h2o most of us thought you had just sunk it when you posted sorry

/ Submerged tractor #29  
It got pretty cold right after I sunk it and hasn't really warmed up here in SE Michigan yet so I haven't been too inclined to mess around with it yet.

ummm your situation just went from

bad, but salvageable to

good luck with that, start shopping for a new engine or tractor

If you are asking question about how to turn the motor over by hand, you lack the know-how to rebuild the engine. While there is nothing to loose in trying to get the current one running by doing basic stuff.

IMHO your looking at a full engine rebuild by a shop or a new engine or a new tractor as there is also questions about water sitting in all the other fluid areas, (Trans, hydrualics, axles etc)

/ Submerged tractor #30  
OUCH! You will have most likely to pound the pistons out when you overhaul it and thats before boring or sleeving it and thats just the engine the rest will be....well I am sure glad its not me sorry to hear about it man but you have to get on it within hours if you hope to salvage it once they take on h2o most of us thought you had just sunk it when you posted sorry

i'd have at least filled the cyls with diesel .. heck.. entire engine with diesel.... drain the tranny and diffy and hyds and fill ALL with diesel vs letting it set up and rus tlike that.

bet every roller bearing and journal in there is rusted..

soundguy