Suggestions on 20” pro saw

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #121  
Got some bad news Friday.
My Makita/Dolmar 6401 has a scored piston/cylinder and I have no idea why or how this happened. 🤬

Rebuild, or replace? I need the saw next week, so rebuild isn’t looking a like a great option.

The price of 65CC + saws with a 24” bar is pushing $1,000 now.
Anyone got a nice big CC used saw for sale?

Need it real soon.

OR

What’s a good replacement that won’t kill my already hurtin business checking account?

Figures this happens right after I buy the 261C. :oops:
See post #15. :)

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #122  
Could you use a 24” bar with a skip chain on your 261? I’d think it would pull that. I rebuilt a MS250 a couple of years ago, it’s something that can be done in a day if you have the parts.

There are a few ways a piston can get scored. The most common is running straight gas which seemed to be what happened to my MS250, even though I don’t know how. An air leak is another common issue which makes it run lean.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #123  
If there is a home depot near you that does tool
Rental check to see if they have any for sale. They used to sell them off after a certain number of hours. I bought a makita that size from home depot for under 400 about 5 years ago. Put a New bar and chain on it and Its still going strong

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #124  
The price of 65CC + saws with a 24” bar is pushing $1,000 now.
Anyone got a nice big CC used saw for sale?

Need it real soon.
Check out these Farmertec saws

Farmertec Holzfforma G660 MS660 Chainsaw NO Bar/No Chain Free Shipping​

$359.00

Walmart

Check with @xyz123 he might have something.

Last edited:
   / Suggestions on 20” pro saw #125  
Currently have Makita/Dolmar 6401 w/ 24” & 20” bars.

So far the newly added Stihl has plenty for the 20” bar.
I'm assuming that you're talking about a 261. If so, it can certainly pull a 20" bar. I've run a 20" on my 026 from time to time, but these saws run a lot stronger with a 16" or 18" bar and it keeps the weight down.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #126  
I bought my first echo cs400 eight years ago? I took it to a local shop for a carb replacement his year and its running all right again. Next time, I'll try replacing the carb myself first!

Then the ground lead broke - I think the repair guy did it as the grommet's missing as well.

1693417796527.png

Had the grommet and lead listed fro $11.30 delivered and I ordered it on 8/18. They didn't have the grommet and refunded a buck twenty-eight t PayPal on 8/21 but did not ship the rest of my order. Long story short, but back and forth via email until I called today 8/30 to find it had not shipped and would take a week or more to get here! I canceled the order and tried another vendor.

I write this because ECHO PARTS ONLINE "brought to you by PRONTO MOWERS authorized ECHO Distributor" is a vendor to avoid. Based upon my email and voice communications with this vendor, they can't be bothered with customer service and are actually dismissive.

I chose them as their shipping cost was the most reasonable of the alternatives (about four or five) online. Now, twelve days on, I've started all over again with another vendor.

Local repair shop would have to charge me even more for the part - they said. Then I found a used part on Ebay $2 shipping! After all, its a four inch wire that'll fit in a regular business envelope and cost a single stamp!

OK, I'm done with my first free ad for ECHO PARTS ONLINE