Suggestions on 20” pro saw

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #101  
I have a couple Huskies (455 and 460) and have been using my Echos more in the last few years. The new Echo CS-4910 is light, durable, powerful and cuts well without the higher price of the 501P pro saw. Home Depot sells them. I was very pleased with how well the chains hold an edge between sharpenings on the 501P/490/4910. If I ever have to grab an 18 or 20 inch saw I am getting my 501P (for large trees up to 24" or so) or muffler modded 490 (anything 20" or less). I do have an even lighter Redmax 18" that is very handy for limbing (especially if you are doing it all day), but it just does not compete with the speed and strength of the 50cc Echo saws.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #102  
Looking at adding a 20” saw to the fleet and have been looking at a new Stihl 261C.

Without a brand warfare eruption, is there any reason I should look at another comparable brand?

I like Stihl because my neighborhood dealer is very good and I like Stihl‘s business model. That might overwhelm the temptation to buy another brand that is only slightly better.

Little hesitating on the non adjustable carb, but that’s my only perceived drawback.

This is a saw I intend to use weekly as a general purpose small to medium size grab & go saw.

Constructive, non brand warfare thoughts appreciated.
I just bought the MS261 and it came with an 18” bar but bought a 16” one. Stihl recommends a 16” bar for that model but mostly everyone sells it with an 18” bar. I have the MS260 and been using it for the past 20 yrs. I almost went with an Echo but my solid experience with Stihl swayed me regardless of the added price compared to Echo. I don’t regret the ms261 and with the new compression valve makes it starting a breeze

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #103  
I just note that the 20" bar is the longest recommended for that saw. You probably have to baby it a bit if you bury the full length of the bar in hardwood. Personally, I would go for a bigger saw, but the 261 should be reliable and powerful enough for smaller bucking chores. I use an MS500i. It may be a bit overkill for my 20" bar, but I like it. Previously, I had a 441c. Before that, I had an 038 Super. That was OK with a 20" bar, but I had to baby it a bit. The 038 Super was a tad more powerful than the 361.
I've had my MS261CM with a 20" bar buried into an Oak tree and it had no problem slicing through it, no babying it required.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #104  
Looking at adding a 20” saw to the fleet and have been looking at a new Stihl 261C.

Without a brand warfare eruption, is there any reason I should look at another comparable brand?

I like Stihl because my neighborhood dealer is very good and I like Stihl‘s business model. That might overwhelm the temptation to buy another brand that is only slightly better.

Little hesitating on the non adjustable carb, but that’s my only perceived drawback.

This is a saw I intend to use weekly as a general purpose small to medium size grab & go saw.

Constructive, non brand warfare thoughts appreciated.
Pro Models only. Echo first, Stihl second. Well, dealer first, but Echo models seem to have less problems of late. Used to be only Stihl, but their carb solutions to emissions challenges soured me... Ah, the old 028 Farm Boss...still miss it.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Suggestions on 20” pro saw #105  
   / Suggestions on 20” pro saw #106  
I have a stihl 261cm and a Husky 550xp markII. Either one would be a great saw but I love running the 550xp the best, it just rips through wood.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw
   / Suggestions on 20” pro saw
I just looked up what I had paid for my 261c, it was $569 and by the time I got a bar and chain and tax it was about $630. That was a little over 3 years ago. I got a couple parts today and looked at the saws and it’s $669 today, that’s inflation for you.
Our local dealer wanted $699 with 20” Stihl bar & chain.
That’s why I waited for the 10% off sale. Then they gave me a little bit more of a loyal customer discount.
I ended up at $613 with 20” bar & chain.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #109  
I’d go with Stihl, Pro models are a plus, for instance adjustable chain oiling. Parts availability and service locations would be the deciding thing for me.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #110  
Personally I think a true 20" saw would need to be in the 60cc family. I do have an 026 Pro with a muff mod that I have a 20" on. I use the saw for limbing 10" and less. It will cut thicker with the 20" but falls a little short compared to my 261.