Swapping Robin out with Kohler today

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #81  
Someone will chime in about the lovejoy. If not, maybe start a separate thread with something like "how to align lovejoy connector" and someone will chime in.

Don't really see how it is possible for the pump to be misaligned, and don't see anyway you could adjust it.

The alignment between pump and engine is based upon the coupler and the bolting ring on the pump and engine. All of which are concentric. The most they can be misaligned is by the slop in the bolt holes, which should be on the order of a few 0.010".

I would put it up on blocks and solve your hydroback adjustment. Maybe that will solve the vibration.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
So, I put it it on blocks. She was turning over and firing but not starting. I noticed the wheels were moving while cranking. I gave it a rest. I knew I had the PTO switch mounted upside down. I decided to right the switch. While picking up on the dash plate, I moved it a little and had some sparking. Turned the PTO switch to the right position and secured. Tried to start again, and I have nothing. Could I have shorted out the ignition switch? Also, I am not 100% on a wire or two in there, by the lights and hour meter. Where the wire harness plugs into the ignition switch, there is one connector that is sideways that doesn't have a wire to it. Not sure?

My Uncle said the same thing as you about the coupler. While I was cranking, and the tractor on blocks, I didn't feel the vibration. I was looking for a fuse. Didn't see any other than the one on the oil temp sensor.
Thanks

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #83  
Tim is correct from what my conversation was with the factory that makes lovejoys. There are of course ways you can get anything misalinged, but the design of lovejoys is so that they do couple correctly and any misalignement is managed by the rubber spider. If you have a new spider, and unworn couplers, everything should mesh up fine. Now if you have a soft spider (they make them) you can have things drift a bit.

But if you have a concern, a simple straigheede will tell you if your unit is aligned correctly. Spin the connection by hand, there sshould be no variance.

So here is a side story. I am sitting with my wifes cousin today on the patio having read this. He fixes Giga Yachts for a living (Boats over 150 feet). THey have tons of lovejoys. He taughe me something new which is in certain applications, ones where you continue to find wear on coupler (he equated it to an engine mated to a piston pump is one of the hardest things on a lovejoy). They have come up with a simple fix to reduce wear by offsetting the two devices by 1 degree. meaning the two shafts are not level all the way across but the pump or the engine is angled by one degree. This reduces wear. Go figure.

I took the ignition switch out and tested with a multimeter, everything checks ok. I have no clue what could have shorted or why I don't have power to the ignition switch. It was a light spark. Any suggestions? Thanks

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #85  
Take a look at your fuel filter. Is it full of fuel or air? Maybe you just haven't cranked the engine enough to get fuel from the fuel tank to the engine. Sometimes it takes awhile to get my engine started after I run it dry and refill the tank.

Stupid question: did you put oil in the engine before trying to start it? These engines have an oil sensor that is (supposed to be) wired to shutdown the engine, although PT seems to ignore that..

Found a blown fuse by the starter. It was tucked away by the starter. Changed it. She was cranking and firing but not running. I know some or at least one wire is wrong, because I don't have lights. Played around with the wires to hour meter. Blew the fuse again.
Tried starting and she finally took. She runs smooth. Wheels are spinning though. Definitely need to adjust Hydroback.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #87  
Played around with the wires to hour meter. Blew the fuse again.
Tried starting and she finally took. She runs smooth.

awesome!

The wiring that PT does in these machines is pretty chintzy, and kind of a snarled mess. I have always meant to redo it, but it keeps running, so I never got around to it.

Took it out today for a test drive. It is awesome. I can't believe it is the same tractor. I still have a few more adjustments to make. Terry helped me with adjusting the hydroback. I couldn't have done it without this forum and Terry. I wish I had did this 3 years ago.
Thank you all, I really appreciate all the help and feedback.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #89  
Yeah!!! Many congratulations!

All the best,

Peter

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #90  
It's just downright inspiring to read this thread from the beginning. Nice job!