Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #21  
Interesting. The M9 and the 105 are both ocassional bears to get out of 4wd, especially on concrete. I attribute it to the driveline having very little freeplay.

I don't use it often. Most times, I'm in 2wd. I will lock the rear differential first if need be.

Avoiding 4wd for me is a matter of economy. R1 radials in the big size are big bucks.:D

We were pleasantly surprised with ours. It has only been on pavement twice and lives on grass and dirt. We put it in 4WD digging dirt, pushing shrubs and in the mud or steep hills.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #22  
The gears are under load from the differentials not being exactly matched from Tire wear. This is normal. I have the same issue (not problem) with my Deere 5200. I just hold a slight pressure on the shift lever while bumping the throttle. Steering into a turn makes the issue worse. Also tears up the lawn.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #23  
My BX23 does the same thing. Rocking it and light pressure on the lever while moving pops it right out.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #24  
Make sure your tires are all fully inflated.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #25  
My BX1860 can switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive very smoothly however sometimes switching from 4 to 2 wheel drive becomes very hard, then it goes back to smooth after a bit. Of course the dealer I got it from says they can't find anything wrong or even reproduce the problem.

To me it almost feels like if I push the level down (towards the ground) and then move it from 4 to 2, it works smoother. Any idea what that might be?

Thanks,

--Carlos

This is perfectly normal. If the disconnect clutch has a load on it, it will be difficult to engage. A load results from the tires moving at different rates, especially when turning.

As others have said put a slight pressure on the lever and turn on way or another. You will feel the load dissipate and the lever will easily release.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #27  
Differential binding, it was common on many of my older Jeep CJ's ( they had levers back then). In the owners manual of the Jeep it said to back up to remove the binding. I have always done it anytime I cannot get any vehicle to throw out of 4 wheel, try it next time around..ohhh back straight up.

Its having the wheels turned back and forth in 4x4 that binds it up as the inside wheel turns less revolutions than the outer wheel (we won't go into slippery surface iin an effort to stay on the subject), therefore it creates binding in the differential. To remove the binding back straight up, if it doesn't throw out of 4x4, back up further.

Bonus: Tired of grinding reverse on that standard shift truck, next time, place the truck in first to line up the linkages, then into reverse, no more grinding.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #28  
Interesting posts. My L-3010 is a 4X4. My land is hilly and when I tried to use 2wd it would not go up the hills pulling a trailer or box scraper or even the bush hog without spinning and digging in. So I just leave it in 4WD. Am I REALLY putting much more wear on the tires? (front ones I presume) and I guess it's using more fuel.
Do most guys take it out of 4WD whenever possible? duh....:confused2:

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #29  
The only time I take it out of 4 wheel is to prevent damaging the grass. Unless you are driving on pavement I wouldn't worry about it.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #30  
Our L5740 is the same way but our JD 7730 has no problem. $115,000 buys you electric shift among a whole lot of other things.