Synthetic oil in small engines

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #11  
In my experience different oil will have different consumption rates and perform differently in different engines, not always linked to synthetic vs conventional. My Subaru WRX (turbo) will go through Mobil 1 5W-30 but not Valvoline synthetic 5W30. UOA posted on forums also show Mobil 1 not to perform well in the WRX turbo, but works great in other apps. I ran Mobil 1 10W-30 in a 10.5HP briggs on a cub cadet 33" walk behind mower and after 80 hours it barely discolored and didn't use a drop...I liked those results, so when I changed I put synthetic back in... I'm not sure about synthetic making a small engine run hot, but synthetic does handle high temps better. Certainly, if a machine started burning oil when it didn't before, I'd change away from that, but not necessarily away from synthetic.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #12  
I like to run royal purple after doing valve work on older motors, seems to clean them out good after an hour I swap back in whatever is supposed to be in there and filter/blend the royal purple into my winter chainsaw bar oil stock, I find the paper grease filters from restaurants work wonders for this and I can check for filings etc easier.
For my personal machines I run Mobil 1.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #13  
I have spoken to Representatives of Briggs, Kohler, and Kawasaki they are recomend NOT to use synthetic oil at all in their engines. snipped the rest of the blah blah
You need to go to Briggs and Stratton's site and read this -
Engine Oil Recommendations | Frequently Asked Questions | Customer Support | Briggs & Stratton

Kohler also ok's synthetic on their site FAQ.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/maintenance/faqs.htm

Oh and the oil Kawasaki sells under their name for their engines is a synthetic blend
http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/accdetails.aspx?id=13

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #14  
Since SKYCO seems to think it is his job to disprove every post I make on here - first someone need an English/Grammer Lesson and I hope you don't sign too many contracts -on the issue OIL - read the fine print like a lawyer Kohler States "Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used" No Oil manufactured for Automotive Use meets this requirement 100% - Kawasaki's Oil is not 'PURE' Synthetic oil because of the very issue I already Explained to you and being able to speak to their Main Tech on this Myself and the comment I made explains this - Briggs as you see from your Own link again shows synthetic is only approved at 30 Below - Lived in Alaska lately? No Small Engine if you get it started is going to exceed the 250 degree threshold synthetics are limited to - ask an NHR Drag Racer! Now Hope I educated??? on the issue of additives Kohler also puts in your link information about the additives to back me up.. so, If Everything I posted is challenged by one person more than any on here sorry if I took the wind out your sails - I am not on here to seek acceptance but to help people with truth ..

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #15  
EMB5530 said:
The reason it makes it past your rings is incorrect break in(so Ive been told)and synthetic oils have smaller molocule properties which let them make it past where other oils will not.
I don't know about that.

I think a 5w40, 15w40 or straight 40 will all have the same viscosity at 100 degrees Celsius...give or take what every fudge factor the SAE has.

Given that, how can an oil with smaller molecules maintain the required viscosity?

As long at the oil has the correct API rating and viscosity, recommended for the engine, it should be all good. :)

donut10w30.gif

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #16  
That is why they have different levels in API for different applications and different codes in API.... and SAE is just that Society of AUTOMOTIVE Engineers - never seen small engine manufacturer's listed as members in my newsletters?

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #17  
Since SKYCO seems to think it is his job to disprove every post I make on here - first someone need an English/Grammer Lesson and I hope you don't sign too many contracts -on the issue OIL - read the fine print like a lawyer Kohler States "Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used" No Oil manufactured for Automotive Use meets this requirement 100% - Kawasaki's Oil is not 'PURE' Synthetic oil because of the very issue I already Explained to you and being able to speak to their Main Tech on this Myself and the comment I made explains this - Briggs as you see from your Own link again shows synthetic is only approved at 30 Below - Lived in Alaska lately? No Small Engine if you get it started is going to exceed the 250 degree threshold synthetics are limited to - ask an NHR Drag Racer! Now Hope I educated??? on the issue of additives Kohler also puts in your link information about the additives to back me up.. so, If Everything I posted is challenged by one person more than any on here sorry if I took the wind out your sails - I am not on here to seek acceptance but to help people with truth ..

The truth? You have a serious comprehension problem and yes I detest BS and will shoot it down wherever I find it.

Kohler says "Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used"" " Nowhere did I say anything about automotive oils as you elude.

You say "Briggs as you see from your Own link again shows synthetic is only approved at 30 Below" is NOT what it says-
it says
"Synthetic 5W-30 -20 to 120F (-30 to 40C) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption."

Do you get that now? -20 to 120F

"on the issue of additives" I didn't say anything about additives...

"Kawasaki's Oil is not 'PURE' Synthetic oil" never said it was nor did you issue any qualifiers in your initial blanket statement.
You said "they are recomend NOT to use synthetic oil at all" At all means NONE so why do they sell a semi-synthetic? Oh and don't talk about grammer (sic) and English with that sentence I quoted.

"Since SKYCO seems to think it is his job to disprove every post I make on here" Apparently you can't count either, I responded to two of your BS posts and you've made 18 on here...

NEXT!

Last edited:
   / Synthetic oil in small engines
Hi Folks,
It seems that everone has gotten a bit off the track. I am dealing with a Honda engine and that is my concern. I want to know if I can run synthetic in my Honda generator. That's it!
This morning I spoke to the folks where I bought the generator and and they felt I could run synthetic in my generator.
Thanks to everyone for their input.
I did not mean to cause a problem with my question.
Thanks,
NHSawyer

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #19  
YOU didn't cause a problem. Happily run synthetic in your Honda:thumbsup:

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #20  
I maintain 18 four cycle engines, from small air cooled to large, from gas to diesel, from old to new. There is only one oil on my shelf for these engines, 5w-40 synthetic, and I am extremely satisfied with the oils performance. 3 of those 18 are air cooled Hondas, plus a generator. Philip.