Synthetic oil in small engines

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #31  
I've been researching oil for quite some time now and this is what I came up with. I too have owned a lot of small engines and I also use synthetic oil In most of what I own now. With that being said when I did use dino oil or synthetic for that matter I have never had a oil related problem. Have you? Use the correct api rating and weigh of oil and you can use the cheapest oil you can find AS LONG AS YOU CHANGE IT REGULARLY. Thats the important thing getting the impurities out from all the blow by and moisture. Imo synthetic is better for cold temps on start up.

Check out
- Bob is the Oil Guy

Lots of good info

Chris

Pappa, you're right! I have never had an oil related problem either! Been driving, mowing, cutting, running on water since the 1950s - nary one single oil problem in all those years! Except for a 1953 Oldsmobile I had leaked a bit...

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #32  

Check out
- Bob is the Oil Guy

Lots of good info

Chris

One thing you will learn on BITOG, do not trust alot over there. There site is WAY driven to sponsors. Bob was great, org owner; new owner Helen, well I will just leave it blank. Many org users are now banned from this wonderful owner for no reason. Heck, even the famous Terry left. What does that say...

It is like the fram debate. Most will say $$^%^& about it but show me engines that failed. Not 1 or 2 many since they sell millions.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #33  
I've got a brand new Briggs generator, I think it's 18 horsepower V style engine and runs on propane. Came with 5W/30 synthetic oil, and has been since changed to the same stuff, runs like a champ. I buy a lot of oil from Chevron, and the Havoline synthetic is the same formulation as the Chevron Supreme, I am not worried a bit.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #34  
Seem like this discussion is starting to fall into the same category as religon and politics. :)

I'm way on the N side of 65 and have never used a fully syn oil in anything I've owned. Syn really shine in temperature extremes and I don't live where that is an issue. I typ keep all my stuff for long periods and using dyno oil has never been an issue. When I sell a car it will typ have between 150k & 250k miles on it. One of my GT's is a 70 model which I had since new. Have a string trimmer that is at least 30 yrs old. Currently supporting about a doz engines all running on dino oil.

I've worked too hard for my money to spend on things I don't really benefit from and I've never seen the need for using syn oil. Have no problem with anyone that chooses to use the more spendy stuff if they so choose.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #35  
While I don't like their pricing, sales, or marketing approach, I do like, and use a lot of AMSOIL products. I use their 0W-40 Powersports oil in my ATV, and many of there gear, and trani lubricants. For my new tractor, I will be using their 10W-30/30 Small Engine Oil. It is supposed to be specifically designed for small air-cooled engines.

Are their products better than brand "X"... I have no idea. I do know that many of their oils have given excellent UOA's.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #36  
While I don't like their pricing, sales, or marketing approach, I do like, and use a lot of AMSOIL products. I use their 0W-40 Powersports oil in my ATV, and many of there gear, and trani lubricants. For my new tractor, I will be using their 10W-30/30 Small Engine Oil. It is supposed to be specifically designed for small air-cooled engines.

Are their products better than brand "X"... I have no idea? I do know that many of their oils have given excellent UOA's.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #37  
Truth is-----every age and generation has had products that people swore by, and they did have good success with. My dad was a young guy in the early 1940's, and he was on a haul that originated in Los Angeles, picking up motor oil at Union 76 in San Francisco, (Oleum refinery) and returning. The oil was called "Royal Triton" for the cars and gas engines, the diesel version of this motor oil was named "T-5X". Both oils were colored a distinctive purple, and loyal buyers of the oil dubbed them "grapejuice". This oil was transported bulk in tankers, either truck and trailers, or sets of doubles.
The trucking company (E.W. Ruber Transportation) had several 400 series Hall Scott motors, 1092 cubic inches, and almost 300 horsepower, (when a Cummins was only 200 horsepower), the Hall Scotts burned butane for fuel, so were spark ignited. Ruber used T-5X in everything. Obviousely that oil would not hold a candle to a modern oil such as Delvac 1300, or Delo 400, or Rotella now-adays. But my dad's truck lost a head gasket at 165,000 miles, the Hall Scott people were there at the shop, and measured the cylinders. There was no measurable wear in that many miles, and those engines went on to last for years, pulling 80,000 lbs over the ("old Grapevine route") from Bakersfield every day back into L.A. The trucks made a round trip every 24 hours, and seldom if ever had engine break downs.
So oil changes, proper operation, using good sense, pays off a lot, and in most cases the oil will do it's job whether synthetic, dino, cheap, expensive or whatever. Many good mechanics and operators give oil all the credit for success, they need to pat themselves on the back a little, for doing their good part in making it all work out.

Last edited:
   / Synthetic oil in small engines #38  
I have always run oil brand "I-TS-ALL-GUD", and I have never had an engine failure.
So that is proof enough for me to sick with it.;)

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #39  
I use 0w30 Mobil 1 in everything except for the 5w30 in our new TDI and now using 5w20 in our Tacoma (all Mobil 1 except for the Castrol in the TDI still under warranty). I've never ever had oil consumption problems with converting to synthetic, even on an old 240D Benz and an old Gravely. The Gravely actually eventually used less oil on Mobil 1.

Synthetic is MUCH better for air cooled engines or any turbo-charged engines, as it won't "cook" or coke from the heat.

Ralph

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #40  
I've got a brand new Briggs generator, I think it's 18 horsepower V style engine and runs on propane. Came with 5W/30 synthetic oil, and has been since changed to the same stuff, runs like a champ. I buy a lot of oil from Chevron, and the Havoline synthetic is the same formulation as the Chevron Supreme, I am not worried a bit.

I have just ran my NG generator for 7 days (168) in CT at full load non-stop using Amsoil...Came out looking new and smelling new..For $5 a qt, I will buy again.