Synthetic oil in small engines

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #21  
I have spoken to Representatives of Briggs, Kohler, and Kawasaki they are recomend NOT to use synthetic oil at all in their engines. First of all we as a dealership and the manufacturers recomend you DO NOT use Automotive Oil in their engines either - Automotive Oils today are formulated for newer engines and have about 20% detergents in them - causing foaming in small engines.... also we recomend to not only use small engine oil which doesn't have this detergent base but to us straight 30 weight during the warm months and only use 10W-30 if you are going to use the engine during the winter. Multigrade oils are actually the lighter number but act like the heavier weight number and burns off past the rings that is more than likely where you oil is going. We had a customer with a new Ferris ZTR and Kawaski motor - he owns a Kawasaki bike he bought at a dealer up the street and they were offering a double warranty for using the Synthetic Oil made for their bikes - he brought us the oil to use to service his unit and that is when we called the engine manufacturers.... Kawasaki explained it to us that their Synthetic was safe in the bikes because they achieve high speeds with enough air to keep the engines/oil cool and their small engines do not and the higher operating temps could cause the Synthetic to break down and burn off more excesively than conventional multi-grade oil... hope this makes sense..

I am of the opinion that whomever told you that has no idea what they are talking about. I have used synthetic oil in each of those engines you mention and dating back as far as 30 yrs.

I have synthetic oil in my John Deere X728SE with 27 HP Kawasaki engine and John Deere says to use it right in my owners manual. I have synthetic oil in my Honda lawn mower, Honda engine on my Husqvarna power broom, Honda ATV, Honda generator for over 10 yrs. I have used synthetic oil in my B&S engine on my Ariens snow blower for 10 yrs from 1990-2000, bought a new one and sold the other to a neighbor and its still purring today with synthetic oil in the motor.

They (dealers and oem's) don't want you to use synthetic oil because they are afraid you will buy if from somewhere else and not from them. That's their real motives, $$$. They got to keep the customer coming back to them for everything.

btw This image is direct from the Briggs and Stratton website which is further proof you were given bogus information.
2978E398C0AC447584FE192E2A57CFBC.ashx

Oil Recommendation

SAE 30 40ー F and higher (5ー C and higher) is good for all purpose use above 40ー F, use below 40ー F will cause hard starting.

10W-30 0 to 100ー F (-18 to 38ー C) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80ー F(27ー C) or higher.

Synthetic 5W-30 -20 to 120ー F (-30 to 40ー C) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.

5W-30 40ー F and below (5ー C and below) is recommended for winter use, and works best in cold conditions.

From Kohler
What kind of oil should I use in my engine? Can I use synthetic oil?

10W-30 (Command Oil) is recommended for Command, Courage, Command PRO, Command PRO CS, Triad OHC, and Aegis engines for temperatures above freezing (32ーF, 0ーC). SAE-30 is an acceptable substitute if temperatures are above 50ーF, 10ーC. K-Series and Magnum engines should use SAE 30 (Magnum Oil) above freezing. 5W-20 or 5W-30 can be used in all engines when temperatures are below freezing. For more complete oil specifications refer to your owner's manual. For optimum performance, Kohler's special blend oils are available from your KOHLER dealer.

Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used, however oil changes still need to be performed at the recommended intervals. To allow the piston rings to seat properly, Kohler recommends operating a new or rebuilt engine for at least 50 hours on standard oil before switching to the synthetic oil.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #22  
Hi Folks,
It seems that everone has gotten a bit off the track. I am dealing with a Honda engine and that is my concern. I want to know if I can run synthetic in my Honda generator. That's it!
This morning I spoke to the folks where I bought the generator and and they felt I could run synthetic in my generator.
Thanks to everyone for their input.
I did not mean to cause a problem with my question.
Thanks,
NHSawyer

Yes you can use synthetic oil in your Honda generator. Been doing that for years in many Honda engines. Fwiw - Honda even sells synthetic 4-stroke engine oil and the say this; It is quite simply put....our finest 4-stroke oil.

Btw - We have a Honda generator at work that been running on the same Mobil 1 for over 10 yrs, never changed the oil because the boss says NO, it cost more to pay someone to service it than its worth, cheaper to buy a new one when this one fails. 11 yrs and counting so he obviously saving money.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #23  
Hiya,

Been running Amsoil synthetic in everything I own that has an engine since 1978, including 2 strokes, 4 strokes, air or water cooled, gasoline, Diesel, propane or methonol, no issues what so ever. The 2 push mowers are 22 and 27 years old, snow blower is 21, string trimmer is 20. Can't argue with the results so far.

Like I said, works well for me,

Tom

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #24  
My Briggs powered generator manual said use 30 w above 32 f and 10w30 below 32 f. If I followed this I would have to change my oil every morning and every afternoon in the winter. The synthetic was rated for all temperatures that I experience. I use the synthetic on everything.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #25  
That does it! I ain't using nothing but full synthetic in ALL my engines from now on! Even if it blows up my 30 year old Ariens Briggs & Stratton riding mower engine, so be it!! Im done with regular oil. I ain't jokin' nor jestin'...

On a different, but maybe related note: about 7 years ago, I was in local Sthil shop with my 1977 Homelite 10" chain saw designed for 16:1 gas/oil ratio. Man in shop told me I could use Stihl synthetic 50:1 oil in it with no problems - he was right!! Been using it at 50:1 for seven years now, in all my two cycle engines - nary a problem; they all actually run better - chain saws, weed eater, etc. I'm all synthetics from now on I tell ye. Whew, it's good to have that settled!

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #26  
Check the manual.

I am running synthetic oil in my DR Mower with no problems. I think I changed over a bit early though. When I first got the DR it was burning about 1 gallon per hour. With regular or synthetic oil. I changed the oil per the manual and put in synthetic. Quite a few hours after the oil change fuel consumption is about 1/2 gallon per hour.

Later,
Dan

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #27  
I use Polaris 0-40W Synthetic in all my small stuff around the house... mowers, generator, atv's, power washer...etc... It is a great oil, reasonably priced, and it allows me to only have to keep one oil around the house... I dont have to try and remember which one takes what..

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #28  
Man in shop told me I could use Stihl synthetic 50:1 oil in it with no problems - he was right!! Been using it at 50:1 for seven years now, in all my two cycle engines

I Use Amsoil 2 cycle synthetic @ 100:1 for several years

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #29  
I've been researching oil for quite some time now and this is what I came up with. I too have owned a lot of small engines and I also use synthetic oil In most of what I own now. With that being said when I did use dino oil or synthetic for that matter I have never had a oil related problem. Have you? Use the correct api rating and weigh of oil and you can use the cheapest oil you can find AS LONG AS YOU CHANGE IT REGULARLY. Thats the important thing getting the impurities out from all the blow by and moisture. Imo synthetic is better for cold temps on start up.

Check out
- Bob is the Oil Guy

Lots of good info

Chris