TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long]

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #1  

mundamanu

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40A, Ford 8600, MF65
TBN is a place for politics [It\'s a little long]

As an aspiring political theorist (I am beginning a PhD program in the fall) with a strong interest in democratic theory and political participation, I followed the "Bringing Back the Draft/Iraq" thread with a great deal of interest.

I would like to suggest that rather than being a place that should be free from political discussion, TBN is a perfect place for political discussion, as long as political discussions are constrained to political topic threads (this only to avoid constant hijacking and to better maintain the incredible civility of TBN discussions).

There are many reasons that I believe this to be the case. Principle among them are 1) Democracy is more about the free exchange of ideas and the ability to effect and affect their implementation than it is about going to the voting booth every couple of years. The voting booth is the procedural embodiment of representative democracy. Just as important, however, is how we arrive at our voting decisions. Many studies show that our discussions with family, friends and neighbors, etc. are as important, if not more important, than the information we receive from the news and other media in making these decisions (of course, many studies show just the opposite). TBN (the internet generally) enlarges hugely the sphere of inter-personal information exchange, and so therefore can be hugely beneficial to our democratic process. 2) Democratic citizens, almost by definition, are first and foremost political citizens. Whether we acknowledge it or not, most of the day to day decisions that we make, from what kind of car to drive (gas guzzler vs enviro) to where to shop (Wal-Mart vs local) to where to take a vacation (France vs UK), to where to live (rural vs urban), to how much water to use to what kind of tractor to buy (gear vs hydro /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif just kidding -- American vs import) are political decisions (examples are for illustration only; there are bazillions of other relevant and/or better examples). Therefore, the 10,000+ membership of TBN is always already a political community. To avoid or supress this is to do a disservice to democracy. 3) Political discussions have shown themselves to be wildly popular on TBN. The Draft/Iraq thread was open for exactly six days (almost to the minute) and it was closed at 182 posts, for an average of 30 posts/day. 4) TBN has a well-established culture of civility that promotes the free exchange of ideas. Political discussions are contentious; there is no way to avoid that. Afterall, we are expressing our opinions on how we believe our society should be organized and how power should be distributed and expressed within it. Obviously people will feel strongly about those opinions. However, because of the call for civility, people have shown themselves to be willing to write calmly and thoughtfully (for the most part) about colossally important topics, when given the space to do so.

So, given these four points, I would like to suggest that the ban on political discussions be dropped and a "Political Topics" forum be established. If it is moderated by the same principles that moderate the other forums, I do not see how it could be anything but beneficial. Anytime a non-political thread is hijacked by politics, the political part of the thread would be moved to "Political Topics" and left to develop.

Democracy is the greatest thing a population can have. To be true to the democratic spirit, democratic citizens should make use of every opporunity that is presented to them to "do" the gift of democracy that was so hard-won. Doing democracy means talking, discussing, arguing. TBN is as good a place as any, and better than most.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #2  
Re: TBN is a place for politics [It\'s a little long]

Yup! What he said!

A nice disclaimer "enter at yer own risk!" and we're on our way.

Should we have a vote?!!

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So, given these four points, I would like to suggest that the ban on political discussions be dropped and a "Political Topics" forum be established. )</font>

I would like to suggest that we continue NOT having a Political Topics forum. No benefit to this website can come of it.

In addition, I would also like to suggest that we NOT have a Religious Topics forum as well -- just in case someone wants to suggest that idea.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #4  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Should we have a vote?!! )</font>

O.K. You can count mine as the third YEA ! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #5  

mundamanu,

Thanks for your thoughts on political discussions and TBN. Unfortunately for all of your arguments, they all have been considered, and after almost five years of operations, we have found that political (& religious and "ethics") - type discussions, generally speaking, lower the overall atmosphere of TBN to that resembling a pack of snarling dogs.

Yes, discussions may start off reasonably, but at least here, they INVARIABLY degenerate into name-calling, real and imaginary threats, etc. etc. etc (and not reasoned discourse).

Our purposes at TBN are very clearly stated in our Terms of Use. The purposes of TBN and all of our related sites have nothing whatsoever in defining, defending or promoting "democracy" or any other form of government, nor any theology.

We are about tractors and the rural lifestyle, per se.

Google presently reports more than 11,000 page hits for the term "political discussion forum". So, there is no lack of places for you to exercise your mental and philosophical interests in politics and sundry topics.

We work really hard here at TBN to provide an environment that supports the notion of "friends helping friends," and that promotes the country, rural lifestyle. Where we come from at any rate, the old saw of "don’t talk politics or religion" is one of the first rules of social gracefulness.

Our moderators --- who are all volunteers -- work harder than one can imagine to review, and control, the threads on TBN. In the end, far less than a tenth of one percent of ALL messages are censored/deleted. Few forums can match that.

Pick one of those 11,000+ forums that are DEDICATED to political discussion. TBN is not one of them, and does not plan to become one.

Thanks for your understanding.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pick one of those 11,000+ forums that are DEDICATED to political discussion. )</font>

OR - he could start his own political discussion forum. He can do it it his spare time, and it shouldn't cost him anything and be real easy to moderate. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long]

Hakim,

And I thank you for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate the points you make and your experience and would not dare argue back.

Thank you for a wonderful site. Keep up (all of you) the good work.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #8  

I can't belive it.... I agree with Gatorboy /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I can't believe it.... I agree with Gatorboy )</font>

Not sure how to take this....should I be happy that you agree with me, or surprised that you disagree with most of what I post? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #10  

Yup; Gatorboys right on track.

Perhaps aspiring voters should consider ownership of the site.

Politics and religion only have discussions if your talking to yourself. Any more and the ploughshares get transformed.

Egon