TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long]

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #21  
Re: TBN is a place for politics [It\'s a little long]

Don, I saw the thread going a direction I did not want to go and got the heck out of there and have not gone back. I'm hoping now it wasn't something I said that made you sizzle. I would prefer no politics as I get enough of it during the day. Hope your all cooled down, Rat... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #22  

From my experience, both Politics and Religion topics are no-win situations. Rarely will you convince anyone to switch to your views -- but people keep trying -- and in ways that get more personal and vicious.

I did chime into the Taxes thread (not sure that would be considered politics or not), but I think I made comments that were pretty general -- but normally I avoid those type of discussions all together. I get into enough hot water with some of the members already. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long]

I posted my reply to OkeeDon before reading the thread, since the important thing was not the content of any given thread, but how political threads (and the taxes thread was political) can and do get out of hand.

However, having now read the thread, I must say that I am shocked. I am very happy that it is closed. That thread certainly makes me wish I had not suggested a Political Topics forum.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #24  

You can put my vote on the tractor and rural living only restriction. Tractors are second only to nature in power. But they still don't always have the power to keep us together when our politics tend to separate us.

We did talk politics and religion, can't have one without the other, nature of the beast, here on TBN sometime back. There are still some hard feelings sad to say.

I'm almost as liberal as some folks can be conservative. It's not like mixing oil and water. It's like trying to mix grease and water. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I never opened the draft thread because my feelings about it are so strong. Talking about it here on TBN would be comparable to cussing at grandmas over dinner. It just wouldn't be right.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #25  

<font color="blue"> You can put my vote on the tractor and rural living only restriction. </font>

I wouldn't put a restriction on "tractors only", but I definitely wouldn't create a separate catagory for politics, like the original poster mentioned.

Sometimes it's interesting to sit back and see how the posts drift into other things from the original post in the thread, and restricting it totally just would take some of the fun out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
You never can tell when a thread of someone's new pole building will turn into a discussion about who is on the $10,000 bill or what TBN member has the highest Ebay feedback. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We just have to remember to be mature adults by always knowing where the line is that we can't cross.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #26  

I agree with you Andy on that mature part. I thought I knew where the "lines" were, but I do get reminded that I tend to draw the line way over my side of the fence sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I refrained from posting in the other 2 threads, actually I didn't even read the one about the draft.
Personally, I think political threads have no place being on TBN. And the site owner feels the same way.
Yes sometimes we do go "off-topic" even though that particular category was changed.

But the way I CAN keep my nose clean, is to just stop reading/never start on a thread that is or soon will go downhill.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #27  

I agree with the TBN policy and would like to go a step further and ask posters to leave the little one-liner political remarks off their posts. Plenty of other places on the net for political discussion. It will help the moderators such as Mike keep this simple and enjoyable.

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #28  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From my experience, both Politics and Religion topics are no-win situations. Rarely will you convince anyone to switch to your views -- but people keep trying -- and in ways that get more personal and vicious.
)</font>
ahmen to that! sometimes some of these discussions go off in a slightly political vein. but if u want to discuss politcs in its all encompassing venue then go to a political disscusion forum. i for one like the all tractor , odd topics, photos, etc. just a friendly forum. politics and /or religon takes that away. i also get into politics , but in a different forum, it is a politic forum and we don't discuss tractor issues there, so why in a tractor forum should we discuss politics?

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #29  

If we can't have a Politics and Religion Forum, could we have a "Joke Forum" where we could post non religious, non political, non offensive jokes that reflect true humor??? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PS.... I might not have the highest feedback rating on e bay, but I probably have the highest deleted post record on TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ TBN is a place for politics [It's a little long] #30  

<font color="blue"> If we can't have a Politics and Religion Forum, could we have a "Joke Forum" where we could post non religious, non political, non offensive jokes that reflect true humor??? </font>

That depends...
Would it include pictures of bikini-clad cats?
4061.gif

Doh! That one was below the belt. Sorry, Junkman! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif