TC35 rusted clutch

/ TC35 rusted clutch
It may sound rough but i think i would remove the starter motor and give the back of the flywheel a good rattle with an air chisel . Round off one of the chisels on the grinder so it can't damage the flywheel . It would help if someone could put some clockwise pressure on the harmonic balancer bolt while it is in first gear with the clutch pedal blocked down . Do'nt rattle the ring gear , you may be able to get onto a portion of the pressure plate . If you get it free , give it a bit of a slip as you drive it to pollish off the rust .

I have the starter off right now and I can see the flywheel and ring gear, I tried to get a "see snake" (TV on a stick) to fit between the bell housing and the ring gear but it's about a 1/8" shy and won't fit. I got no manuals with this tractor when I bought it and the cheapest I have found on the Internet is well over $100. I need some drawings or photos of what the pressure plate, flywheel, clutch pad and other components look like under the bell housing. I need more of a cutaway than an exploded view .. any help? I can't tell where the harmonic balancer is at this point. The pressure plate covers everything but I think there are a few openings along the edge that will allow me access (although minor) to the other components. I can't judge which of them need ratteling but I will try the flywheel while avoiding the ring gear . .. thanks for idea. I'll get back with the results in a bit.

/ TC35 rusted clutch
I know what you guys will think but I have probably worked on hundreds of stuck clutch brakes, clutch adjusters and stuck clutches themselves and my one saving grace was that can of PB blaster I never went to work without. I would hose tre crap out of it from whatever hole I could get it in there with and then do what I had to do to break it loose. Usually dragging it with another truck and keep on trying to pop the clutch. I've even been known to stick a torch up there to unstick adjusters. I wasn't the only one. It was kinda common practice, but if you use a torch have a fire extinguisher handy.

I think out of all the ones I've had to get ugly with I only had to actually split it on one or two.

I thought about using some rust dissolver of some kind but I wasn't sure what to use. What exactly is PB? I was afraid I'd use something that might soak the clutch material and smoke from now on or worse yet start slipping on me. I also thought about a chemical spray I use to keep my guns from rusting that is just amazing. One application a year and I have NO rust to deal with. I thought after I get this free I want to treat it with this spray (I can't think of the name right now) and I'll never have to deal with this problem again. But like I said I don't want it to affect the clutch function.

/ TC35 rusted clutch #13  
   / TC35 rusted clutch #14  
I can't tell where the harmonic balancer is at this point.

Hello , i was meaning the balancer on the other end of the crank , with the lower belt pulley attached . I would think it would have a center bolt holding the pulley too the crank . Someone putting clockwise pressure on this bolt with a breaker bar and socket while it is in low gear with the park brake applied and the clutch blocked down . While you rattle the back of the flywheel with a "blunt" tool in an air chisel . I am thinking the harmonics transmitted through the flywheel may cause the clutch plate to jump away from the flywheel or pressure plate .

I would be worried about using any liquids on the clutch as it may cause clutch shudder .

I am not familliar with blocking clutches as we have no need to do so in OZ , but i would also worry that long term blocking may make the pressure plate springs/diaphram lose tension after some time .

/ TC35 rusted clutch
Hello , i was meaning the balancer on the other end of the crank , with the lower belt pulley attached . I would think it would have a center bolt holding the pulley too the crank . Someone putting clockwise pressure on this bolt with a breaker bar and socket while it is in low gear with the park brake applied and the clutch blocked down . While you rattle the back of the flywheel with a "blunt" tool in an air chisel . I am thinking the harmonics transmitted through the flywheel may cause the clutch plate to jump away from the flywheel or pressure plate .

I would be worried about using any liquids on the clutch as it may cause clutch shudder .

I am not familliar with blocking clutches as we have no need to do so in OZ , but i would also worry that long term blocking may make the pressure plate springs/diaphram lose tension after some time .

Now I understand and it make good sense, apply some torque to the drive train while I'm jack hammering on the flywheel ... perhaps actually turn the flywheel slowly and re position the hammer for a bit ... yes, now I get it.
I think the clutch block system is just barely enough to separate the plates and I was exaggerating about doing it EVERY time. Just when it's going to sit up for a bit and like I say just a tiny bit of pressure, just enough to separate them a bit.

Good help, thanx

/ TC35 rusted clutch #16  
IMHO.. the oil on the clutch will actually cause it to be grabby.. not slip.. besides.. that lite stuff will flash off pretty fast once you start slipping her.. and you can use some brake clener on her first to get the heavy residue off.

soundguy

/ TC35 rusted clutch #17  
Like he said. You can shoot a bunch of brake clean up there to clean it. Or pour some dawn dish soap down your garden hose, It cuts oil real good, and then blast it out. On trucks I just drove them real hard till it burned off after spraying a couple cans of brake clean all over. Sometimes I would get it with the steam cleaner we had if it wasn't frozen out.
I really never had any adverse effects from using penetrating oil on them at all.

Consider the alternative. If it doesn't work you will be splitting it anyway.
If it does then you all you really have to do is clean it well and drive it.

Personally, if my tractor ever did this I'd pull the clutch and go have a nonmetallic set of frictions put on the disk. I never buy new clutches either. There are too many shops out there that will reline them for you. We did it ourselves at the two tractor dealers I worked at. It was really easy to do and super cheap for the parts.

/ TC35 rusted clutch
IMHO.. the oil on the clutch will actually cause it to be grabby.. not slip.. besides.. that lite stuff will flash off pretty fast once you start slipping her.. and you can use some brake clener on her first to get the heavy residue off.

soundguy

I have a friend coming out today who's bringing me a can of PB so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice and the time it took. I post an update when I get somewhere with it. Saturday has been reserved as "fix the tractor day"

/ TC35 rusted clutch
Like he said. You can shoot a bunch of brake clean up there to clean it. Or pour some dawn dish soap down your garden hose, It cuts oil real good, and then blast it out. On trucks I just drove them real hard till it burned off after spraying a couple cans of brake clean all over. Sometimes I would get it with the steam cleaner we had if it wasn't frozen out.
I really never had any adverse effects from using penetrating oil on them at all.

Consider the alternative. If it doesn't work you will be splitting it anyway.
If it does then you all you really have to do is clean it well and drive it.

Personally, if my tractor ever did this I'd pull the clutch and go have a nonmetallic set of frictions put on the disk. I never buy new clutches either. There are too many shops out there that will reline them for you. We did it ourselves at the two tractor dealers I worked at. It was really easy to do and super cheap for the parts.

I've got a pressure washer I hook up to a hot water heater that works pretty well. If it slips or grabs after I get it loose I'll load it up with dawn and blast it for while. It it come to it and I have to break it in half I definitely will look into some replacement pads for the clutch with no metal in them. Thanks

/ TC35 rusted clutch
Well gentlemen, nothing worked. After a full can of PB and 24 hours soak time I locked down the front end loader in a very large pile of earth, put the transmission in low low, stood on the brakes and the gas at the same time until she shuddered and stalled and still nothing. I have had the clutch pedal locked down for weeks now. The clutch is stuck, rusted solid. I am spending my Sunday making heavy duty kick stands for the front and rear halves of my tractor and will begin to break it in half tomorrow. Any thing I should know? Experiences by you could save me a lot of heart ache .... let me know. I've taken dozens of digital pictures of the assembled tractor so I can remember how to get it back together. I have to remove all the sub frame to the front end loader and the back hoe and that will take me the rest of today and part of tomorrow too ... I am going to take pictures along the way in stages because I don't have a manual. I'll update as I go if anybody is interested. Thanks again for the suggestions