Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #541  
Sam, Sorry I can't help with the insurance question. The house looks great! Having participated in the building of my parents little "prefab", I am really impressed with your work! I enjoy this thread, and appreciate the care you put into it. A belated Merry Christmas to you, and yours, and may the new year be filled with joy and satisfaction for you all. Brian

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #543  
Hi Sam,
The only condensation we get on walls/floors is in one corner of the master bath. This happens in summer during high humidity. That is the one corner of the house that is most buried. It is insulated etc. We do have to open windows in the summer or the house is too cool.

A carpenter I hired this summer to help me finish what our (former) contractor didn't made a shim for under the outside lip of our aluminum thresholds, then caulked it in place. Seems to work pretty well.

I'll try to shoot some pics today of the swinging doors I made for the 7x9 openings on the shop and barn. You can use what makes sense, admire the carpenter's work and make fun of my mistakes in the trim.

It seems to me that what you want for insurance right now is called Builder's Risk insurance. This covers a construction project against things like theft, damage and liability before people are living there. Your current insurer should be willing to add this as a relatively inexpensive rider to your existing property insurance. If not, try other insurance agents. They don't all follow the same rule book. I'm kind of surprised your agent didn't suggest it.

You may want to consider an umbrella policy. These houses are different and attract attention.

Steve in Maine

We have seen some dew on the bottom of the upper pain of glass but nothing on the walls, ceiling or floors unless we open many windows and doors when the humidity is very high like 90%. The dry heat of the wood stove seems to evaporate all moisture except the dew on a small section of the windows.

We got most of the second door installed. I made some custom trim to seal the frames of the first two doors until we finish the exterior. You can't buy doors to fit the ten inch depth. We purchased 3 ricks of wood for $100. They were tiring to get us to take four but our Jeep didn't need to go beyond two ricks. We got a picture of a wolf or coyote. If anyone can identify please do? Because of the pitch at the doorways, the thresholds are floating toward the outside so we will use some grout under the thresholds of each door after we finish the last door.

It is great to have heat and shelter! I am trying to get our insurance to cover our home but they claim we must move in first. People have insurance while they renovate while they live elsewhere. I must get it covered even if I must live there before all is complete. Does anyone have insight on this matter?

Happy New Year to you all!

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #544  
Sam as Steve suggested Builders Risk insurance is what you need to look for. The problem you may have with it is that it generally has a time limit within which the project must be completed. In my area it is required by the banks if you working with a building loan. I don't know of any company that will issue homeowners insurance until you have received a certificate of occupancy so I am not sure moving in would help you until then.

MarkV

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #545  
Sam, coming right along! Dried in and a stove to heat with is a great place to be this time of year in Oklahoma! 3 ricks/$100 is a good price. That's for sure a coyote. Looks like you caught him in point!:D

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #546  
That is a coyote. House looks great.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #547  
We had the normal builders insurance when we built our stick built house. We did need an occupancy permit to get regular insurance. It really wasn't tough to get one in NH. Mainly needed to be safe (railings/stairs up, all electrical complete- etc) and all utilities working. After 7 years, my house still has temp stair treads which means no spindles under the banisters. I hope to get these done this year, building a house can take a long time ;)

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
Sam, Sorry I can't help with the insurance question. The house looks great! Having participated in the building of my parents little "prefab", I am really impressed with your work! I enjoy this thread, and appreciate the care you put into it. A belated Merry Christmas to you, and yours, and may the new year be filled with joy and satisfaction for you all. Brian

Brian,
Thanks for your opinion and I hope you and yours have a safe and prosperous new year.
Sam

Hi Sam,
The only condensation we get on walls/floors is in one corner of the master bath. This happens in summer during high humidity. That is the one corner of the house that is most buried. It is insulated etc. We do have to open windows in the summer or the house is too cool.

A carpenter I hired this summer to help me finish what our (former) contractor didn't made a shim for under the outside lip of our aluminum thresholds, then caulked it in place. Seems to work pretty well.

I'll try to shoot some pics today of the swinging doors I made for the 7x9 openings on the shop and barn. You can use what makes sense, admire the carpenter's work and make fun of my mistakes in the trim.

It seems to me that what you want for insurance right now is called Builder's Risk insurance. This covers a construction project against things like theft, damage and liability before people are living there. Your current insurer should be willing to add this as a relatively inexpensive rider to your existing property insurance. If not, try other insurance agents. They don't all follow the same rule book. I'm kind of surprised your agent didn't suggest it.

You may want to consider an umbrella policy. These houses are different and attract attention.

Steve in Maine

Steve,
We will get some quotes on the builders insurance and see if Allstate has this type of coverage. Our State Farm agent spoke with us last year and knew what we wanted. I thought we were getting a rider police that would cover theft or vandalism. We later found out we simply have some liability coverage for our land. It's good to hear your build has worked out so well and I am very interested in some pictures of your progress.
Thanks
Sam

Sam as Steve suggested Builders Risk insurance is what you need to look for. The problem you may have with it is that it generally has a time limit within which the project must be completed. In my area it is required by the banks if you working with a building loan. I don't know of any company that will issue homeowners insurance until you have received a certificate of occupancy so I am not sure moving in would help you until then.

MarkV

Mark,
I have never heard of a certificate of occupancy and wouldn稚 know how to get one. We are planning on moving in before all systems are completed. We only need limited coverage because our home is basically fire proof, earthquake proof and tornado proof. I guess it could take some time to find an insurance company that will acknowledge and discount this type of home.