TESLA all electric for towing...

/ TESLA all electric for towing...
If a person had an all electric with a trailer hitch they could in theory tow a battery charger behind them to extend range or more batteries...

I trailer hitch opens a world of possibilities.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #12  
If a person had an all electric with a trailer hitch they could in theory tow a battery charger behind them to extend range or more batteries...

Why not just put it in the trunk?

Most electric cars have special chargers anyway.

I was thinking one of those efficient gensets with a belly tank trailer mounted...

Something that can haul your camp gear and charge your electric to get back from the middle of nowhere...

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #14  
I thought that may have been where you were going, but had to be a bit of a smart aleck. :)

But wouldn't that negate the reason for having an electric vehicle...efficiency? That isn't going to be nearly as efficient as a regular ICE in a car. Maybe it would work in a pinch I guess.

EDIT: That makes sense after reading your second statement. Did you go back and add that because I didn't see it before I replied.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #15  
I thought that may have been where you were going, but had to be a bit of a smart aleck. :)

But wouldn't that negate the reason for having an electric vehicle...efficiency? That isn't going to be nearly as efficient as a regular ICE in a car. Maybe it would work in a pinch I guess.

EDIT: That makes sense after reading your second statement. Did you go back and add that because I didn't see it before I replied.

You would not have to carry the engine around when you don't need it. This reduces energy demands.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #16  
You would not have to carry the engine around when you don't need it. This reduces energy demands.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it would work in a pinch. You wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis is what I was getting after.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #17  

Done. Over a decade ago. Rav Long Ranger

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #18  
Not surprising. Electric motors generate their largest torque at startup--which is one of the reasons railroads use diesel-electric drive on their locomotives. And torque is what you need for towing heavy loads.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #19  
My electric golf cart has a 2" ball on it that I use to move my trailers around the ranch with (snowmobile, boat, equipment and JLG trailer crane). However, I've also had to pull it back from the far corner of the property when there wasn't enough grunt in it to get me home.

It's perfect for this job with only one flaw: rear only brakes has some drawbacks....

Here's a short video of the Model S assembly at the Fremont CA Tesla Plant.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_lfxPI5ObM?rel=0

The last time I visited the plant it was called NUMMI and spent the day watching Mom's Corolla being built to drive off... with much of the assembly being done the old fashioned assembly line method...