TESLA all electric for towing...

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #22  
Tesla Insane Mode Video...
(Warning: Extreme language due to people getting the bajeebers scared out of them, so turn down your volume if you object to such language or are in a place where it might offend).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaLgF1uLB8

I find it interesting that the hookup to the street seems to be pretty good.. sticky tires? good weight distribution? I never hear any tire spin. The car hooks up well under what seems like pretty good acceleration. I take it that "insane mode" is a button that changes the acceleration dynamics of the car allowing a more rapid acceleration than normal mode when the "go pedal" is pressed all the way down?

/ TESLA all electric for towing...
I pass by the Tesla plant several times each week... I think it's great the engineers/designers can have some fun with their product and for a car... sure do see a lot of them in the South Bay Area...

Now with the SUV in development... who knows how far the technology will go?

The all wheel drive does take a toll on range having two motors...

Having a low center of gravity can't do anything but improve handling and a Tesla is not a small car... unlike the roadster.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #24  
I find it interesting that the hookup to the street seems to be pretty good.. sticky tires? good weight distribution? I never hear any tire spin. The car hooks up well under what seems like pretty good acceleration. I take it that "insane mode" is a button that changes the acceleration dynamics of the car allowing a more rapid acceleration than normal mode when the "go pedal" is pressed all the way down?

The P85D is all wheel drive and over 5000 lbs. Plenty of traction! In fact, you have to pull some fuses to get the car to even allow any wheel spin. Yeah insane mode is for all out acceleration. maximum amperage to the motors.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #25  
The P85D is all wheel drive and over 5000 lbs. Plenty of traction! In fact, you have to pull some fuses to get the car to even allow any wheel spin. Yeah insane mode is for all out acceleration. maximum amperage to the motors.

You might be able to make some money off of selling carnival rides in it:)

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #26  
You might be able to make some money off of selling carnival rides in it:)
Fun up until the rider pukes in your $100,000 carnival ride. :shocked:

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #27  
Fun up until the rider pukes in your $100,000 carnival ride. :shocked:

Eddie: "Yeah, I got the daughter in the clinic, getting cured off the Wild Turkey. And, the older boy, bless his soul, is preparing for his career." Clark: "College?" Eddie: "Carnival." Clark: "You got to be proud." Eddie: "Oh, yeah. Yeah, last season he was a pixie-dust spreader on the Tilt-O-Whirl. He thinks that maybe next year, He'll be guessing people's weight or barking for the Yak woman. You ever see her?" Clark: "No." Eddie: "She's got these big horns growing right out above her ears. Yeah, she's ugly as sin, but a sweet gal. And, a **** of a good cook."

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #28  
Problem with that "insane" acceleration on the Model S is that it's resulting in the cars using up a drivetrain about every 35,000 miles. For some of the customers, that's only a touch more than a year. The whole rear end is monolithic, electric motor, gearbox, driveshaft, and a bit of the suspension get replaced as an assembly. So it's about a $45k bill every time it happens. So far, the cars have been under the extended warranty, but that will run out soon enough and the customers will start having to foot the bill. Two of my close friends worked as design and test engineers for a major automaker and were poached by Tesla to work on the Model S project. They didn't stay with the company long due to disgust at how it was operating. When the Model S went on sale to the public, none of the test cars had any more than 30,000 miles on them. Compare that to the major manufacturer they used to work for who froze designs 3-5 years before sale and spent that time driving the crap out of them so they'd have a fleet of test mules with multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on them in extreme weather conditions all over the world before they were released to the public.

EVTV has a good blog post a couple of months ago about the Model S drivetrain problems if you're interested.

/ TESLA all electric for towing...
It will be interesting to see just how all electrics stack up in longevity...

I'm guessing Tesla had to punt as it was a do or die moment as it was piling up red ink...

That said... the South Bay/Silicon Valley seems to be loaded with them... especially Los Gatos... grabed a burger on a weekday for lunch and every time I looked up another Tesla was driving by... of course in Los Gatos you will find a fair number of high end cars... even a Ferrari Dealer if memory serves.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #30  
Eddie: "Yeah, I got the daughter in the clinic, getting cured off the Wild Turkey. And, the older boy, bless his soul, is preparing for his career." Clark: "College?" Eddie: "Carnival." Clark: "You got to be proud." Eddie: "Oh, yeah. Yeah, last season he was a pixie-dust spreader on the Tilt-O-Whirl. He thinks that maybe next year, He'll be guessing people's weight or barking for the Yak woman. You ever see her?" Clark: "No." Eddie: "She's got these big horns growing right out above her ears. Yeah, she's ugly as sin, but a sweet gal. And, a **** of a good cook."

Timeless movie!

Chris