Testing brake controller

/ Testing brake controller #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
I have a Tekonsha Primus brake controller in my motorhome. I pull a 28' enclosed trailer that weighs about 8k. Last weekend when I left home every thing worked fine. When I was on the wayback home I almost went through a red light because the trailer brakes weren't working properly. I took apart the plug on both sides and every thing is clean there. When I apply the brakes I can feel the trailer brakes come on but not verry strong. I even moved the manual lever to full brake and it barley slowed me down. Is there a way to make sure I am getting full power to the plug. Like a load test.All the diagnostics on the controller say it is working properly. This controller is only about 2 yrs old.
Bill

/ Testing brake controller #2  
You may need to adjust the brake shoes if they haven't been done in a while. Of course, they could also need replacing. Just had to replace the ones on my 14' tandem enclosed. Shoes were $65 per set, jobber price @ NAPA. Complete new brakes with mounting plate, just bolt them on and hook em up, were $50 each wheel at Haulmark.

Jim

/ Testing brake controller #3  
Does your controller allow you to adjust the amount the rear brakes will grab?:)

/ Testing brake controller #4  
As others have said I think you just need to adjust your brake shoes or even replace. I adjust mine on all my trailers every 3,000 miles or so.

As for testing the controller I would check the voltage at the brake themselves. You should see a increase as the gain is turned up on the controller. This must be done with the trailer hooked up and a helper in the tow vehicle to press the brake pedal.

Chris

/ Testing brake controller #5  
jack up the trailer, spin the wheels forward real fast by hand and have someone hit the controller. should lock em.

soundguy

/ Testing brake controller
I bet the leveling adjustment got moved, and that's what's causing it not to send enough power to the brakes. See this video starting at 2:20: demo-tekonsha-primus-brake-controller-20188.mp4

Kenny, mine must be a newer model. It is self leveling.After watching the video I had to go out and double check. I hooked the trailer up to the dually and the brakes worked perfectly, so it has to be something in the wiring of the motor home or the controller.
Bill

/ Testing brake controller #8  
check the actual brake power line.

My dodge 1500 did something similar and i found a crimp connector under the dash from the controller to dash harness plug in and the crimp was not crimped.. was loose.. caused intermittant braking,,

soundguy

/ Testing brake controller #9  
Kenny, mine must be a newer model. It is self leveling.After watching the video I had to go out and double check. I hooked the trailer up to the dually and the brakes worked perfectly, so it has to be something in the wiring of the motor home or the controller.
Bill

OK, good then. I just remember I had a old one in my truck that stopped working...till I found it was out of level. I was hoping it was that simple for your to!

/ Testing brake controller
Today I adjusted the brakes and it seemed to help when the brakes were first applied then fade. Time for new shoes. I took the left side apart and they were wore down about 75%.I replace the shoes on the left side and went to replace the shoes on the right side when I noticed a difference in how the shoes were installed. Both shoes are the same with the exception of the lining. One she has about 2" less lining than the other. On the left side the shoe with less lining was facing the front. On the right side the shoe with less lining was facing the rear. Which way is correct?
Bill