Testing brake controller

/ Testing brake controller #11  
   / Testing brake controller #12  
Yep, the back shoe does most of the work. :thumbsup:

Jim

/ Testing brake controller #13  
Just a side note. Most trailer brake stuff is Ford. I think I tell them at the parts store I have a 68 Falcon but could be confused. I have it written down at my office. You can get shoes for $16 versus $50 at the trailer dealer.

Chris

/ Testing brake controller
It has Dexter 5K axles and the brakes are 12" x2". I have never seen car brakes with the same design shoe.
Bill

/ Testing brake controller #15  
I had a shoe lock up in Tennessee one time after overheating the brakes going down a 30% grade. Anyway I was in a small town with nothing but a Napa. I walked in and said I was in a pickle. He took a look and went back and got a box of shoes. Told me they were Old Ford shoes. Anyway they were a perfect match. I have done the same a number of times now going to Auto Zone or where ever. Just replaced a set of 3.5K brakes this spring with a set. They are 10x2.

Chris

/ Testing brake controller #16  
I had a shoe lock up in Tennessee one time after overheating the brakes going down a 30% grade. Anyway I was in a small town with nothing but a Napa. I walked in and said I was in a pickle. He took a look and went back and got a box of shoes. Told me they were Old Ford shoes. Anyway they were a perfect match. I have done the same a number of times now going to Auto Zone or where ever. Just replaced a set of 3.5K brakes this spring with a set. They are 10x2.

Chris
Cris, what was the number on those 10x2 ford brakes? I just paid NAPA $65 per set for some 10 x 2 shoes for my Haulmark w/2 x 3500 lb axles. Was supposed be jobber price, list was $125 per.:mad:

Jim

/ Testing brake controller #17  
Hooked:

Fade is NOT only a shoe problem. It typically is your magnets. Worn brake shoes don't help.

When you tear those wheels/hubs/brakes down, take a good look at the drum where the magnet rides and drags. The last trailer we serviced had a fade problem; shoes were worn but more importantly the drum was grooved where the magnets ride. We chucked the drums in the lathe, faced - wher magnet rides/trued the inside of the drum (use a boring bar) and installed new magnets.

Electric Brake lesson: Magnets do not do well with heat. I recommend to all my customers to go ahead and replace the complete backing plate assembly - cheaper and less time consuming. Sometimes also required is to replace the drums depending on how many sets of brakes the drums have used.

Now, do you want to extend your life for your shoes and magnets and stop better? Jump from the 23-106 and 23-107, 12X2 (white wire magnets - 5.2K & 6K):) from Dexter and go to the 23-181 and 23-180 12X2 (black wire magnets - 7K):thumbsup:. I have instock if you want them complete at a great deal. We are a Dexter dealer.

Tony

My locale Federated auto parts store had the shoes. I have to use the trailer tomorrow so I paid the $40 per wheel. I know I could have ordered complete assemblies for what I paid for the shoes today. I was going to wait but decided not to take a chance. The money spent on shoes is a lot cheaper than an accident. Now it is done and I don't have to worry.
Bill

Hooked:

Now, do you want to extend your life for your shoes and magnets and stop better? Jump from the 23-106 and 23-107, 12X2 (white wire magnets - 5.2K & 6K):) from Dexter and go to the 23-181 and 23-180 12X2 (black wire magnets - 7K):thumbsup:. I have instock if you want them complete at a great deal. We are a Dexter dealer.

Tony

Are the magnets the only difference from 5K to 7K. It might be worth it to upgrade.
Bill

/ Testing brake controller #20  
Cris, what was the number on those 10x2 ford brakes? I just paid NAPA $65 per set for some 10 x 2 shoes for my Haulmark w/2 x 3500 lb axles. Was supposed be jobber price, list was $125 per.:mad:

Jim

I will have to look them up. I know it was less than $50 to have both drums turned, new shoes, a tube of grease, new seals, and a can of brake clean.

Chris