The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,441  
Great project and a lot of good ideas, thanks for posting.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,442  
Wow, that cherry looks great. Nice amount of saw dust too!

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,443  
Good grief the leaves are turning here already.....yikes.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,444  
The apples are about a month early this year as well.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,446  
The weather here the past week has been awesome. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 50s. It seems a little cool for August but I've loved it.
Obed

#1,448  
..............a little "cool" for August???? Holeey crap, I'm from the south, and never have I seen an August like this one. Mid 50's at night and mid 80's in the day...it's just plain weird? Any other year I'd be panting in the shade and guzzling water all day.

That being said, the giant ragweed is starting to bloom....it's gonna be a bumpy ride:muttering:

I have the kitchen cabinet bases(no trim) all up, and will start on the wall cabinets next. We shifted gears on the counter-top{again} from granite to tile to.....................copper sheet. If I pretend to be Merlin the Magician, I can apply several different chemicals to turn the copper many different colors. Then just seal it with a lacquer or urethane. I'm chasing down a few local options .........pic's to follow.

#1,449  
Ever have a day that started out ho hum and ended great?

Now for a lesson on copper sheeting.....:

I spent a lot of time googling and calling across the country for prices. Copper is a but confusing as the thickness is measured using several different methods. The minimum recommended for counter tops is 16oz(that's 16oz in weight for one square foot), or .0216" thick, or 24 gauge, or MM which I have not found a conversion chart for. Anyway, thicker is better and I was targeting 24oz, or .0320" thick and the price picked up is around $300 a 3x10' sheet. Shipping is huge because it has to be crated due to it's malleability.

I had found a local Craigslist ad that had two sheets of "real heavy duty" copper for sale- $275. I emailed the lady and she didn't know the weight, gauge or measurements & made a tentative appointment to meet. I asked her to measure the width & length and she responded it was 36'x69" each. This is rather short since my "L" shaped counter is 9'on one leg & 8' on the other. I could make the short one work on the island if I build it to fit, then build a chopping block in the corner to meet the two short sheets(are y'all dizzy yet:). Her price is just a little under retail for a 16oz 3x10' sheet at $200. So, after some measuring and thought I emailed her that I was going to pass on the two sheets.

Then I get a response that she just loaded it in her truck and discovered that there were 3 sheets, not 2. This is a game changer, and I immediately grab the micrometer & jump in the truck for the 1.5 hr trip to see it. It turns out to be .0863 thick or 64oz! I give her an opportunity to re-negotiate the price and she says, "no, but I won't take less that my asking price". Fare enough, I pay, load and drive back home. I can't wait to take a look at it since it was sitting in a barn and has some interesting patina already on it.

I roll it out, and low and behold all 3 sheets are 10' long:cool2: The patina is amazing, no green(yet) but lot's of black, dark blue and purple striped with shiny copper.

If your interested here are two websites that explain the chemicals needed to add color and result photo's.

Copper Counter Tops | Copper Countertop

Patina Formulas for Brass, Bronze and Copper

I will be trying for some green in the top...frog green:frog: to compliment the pale green translucent stain that's going on the Cherry wood.

Oh yeah.. and no pic's until tomorrow...it was dark thirty when I got home:wave:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,450  
Great find. You got the deal of the century on that! Copper is tough as a surface. It takes a lot of cleaning to keep it in the condition you start with it in. There is a restaurant near us that has a nice copper bar top and counter area. I have watched them go at it for cleaning, and they scrub like crazy every night to keep it in good shape. Granted it is a commercial counter, but you need to be willing to either clean it a ton or let it patina more. A good side benefit is that if you find you don't like it, you can change it out later and sell it for way more than you paid.