The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,861  
Christmas came early....a 649 lb crate arrived yesterday....the spiral staircase is here. Pic's to follow...........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,862  
Christmas came early....a 649 lb crate arrived yesterday....the spiral staircase is here. Pic's to follow...........

Yippee. Each time I hear spiral staircases mentioned, I think back to the '60s going to work with Dad in the mattress truck and watching him and helper try to get king size mattresses up on the second floor that had only spiral access. They had to sling them up over the balcony.
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,863  

Remember back to August 2011 and what stage of construction you were in then.
Does the township help you keep the lane to the cabin clear in the winter?
Ron

#1,864  
Remember back to August 2011 and what stage of construction you were in then.
Does the township help you keep the lane to the cabin clear in the winter?
Ron

Nope, the lane is my private driveway and I maintain it myself. Yes...it sure seems like a million years ago eh?

Ok, here is what it looked like on my dually:
IMG_0001-1.jpg

Inside the big box:
IMG_0003-1.jpg

Here it all is laid out in the "paint shop":
IMG_0002-1.jpg

Everything except the hand rail was already primer red. Each piece was hit with a Scotchbrite pad, then wiped down with a de-greaser, then a mineral spirit soaked rag. I have a Ryobi airless sprayer but clogged it up trying to spray 4 year old Rustoleum. It took an hr to clean the thing out then I had to run to town to pick up 3 new gallons of gloss black. By the time I got a coat on it was dark.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,867  
Is it possible to get a lite coat of paint on everything.Then assemble and finish painting the assembly?That would prevent scaring the paint.

#1,869  
No Mariah yet...but it just rained on everything 10 min ago...grrrr

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,870  
No Mariah yet...but it just rained on everything 10 min ago...grrrr

Might be time to get a cheap roll of clear plastic and set up a paint booth in your shop?
Sticking an old piece of EMT through the stair ends and hanging it between a couple step ladder steps would let you paint all sides at once.
Will the stair treads have pre-molded rubber tread mats glued on them after painting?
Home style ( cured ) spray paint may not hold up too long unless you don't allow shoes.
It would be a real PITA to have to disassemble the steps every couple years for repainting, or even worse.. using a brush.

Last edited: