The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,921  
Did you say you are cutting into TRUSSES? :no: That there is bad hoo-doo. Trusses are not made to be cut in the web regions at all. You might as well take them out at that point.... What should be done is like typical stair opening framing - double up on either side of the opening (or whatever the truss company spec'd) and use a header to span the opening and tie the trusses together. Beyond the simple stuff you are into engineer land, but the truss mfg should be able and willing to help you out there. Don't just start whacking those!

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,922  
No, not cutting into them....cutting three of them completely in two:). My trusses are 24" tall set on 16" centers. The stairwell hole is 54" in diameter, so yes the trusses are getting reinenforced/sistered with 2x10's. They will end up stronger then they were before they were cut.

Besides, I put on my engineer hat when I got up yesterday morning....no worries mate:D

All kidding aside, there is no load on these trusses except for the weight of the subfloor and floor. Bracing & reinforcing them is not really hard to figure out.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,923  
Besides, I put on my engineer hat when I got up yesterday morning....no worries mate:D

It's always nice to have more than one hat.:laughing::thumbsup:;)
hugs, Brandi

#1,924  
Today I cut the trusses and inserted 2x10x12's:
Staircaseprogress003_zps7bde2a13.jpg

Staircaseprogress004_zps624f23a4.jpg

Staircaseprogress006_zps9143090f.jpg

#1,925  
Then ran a rope through the cut out area to hopefully catch it when the final cuts were made:
Staircaseprogress007_zps5e2183e4.jpg

It worked perfect:
Staircaseprogress010_zpsfb6b61ca.jpg

The cats were impressed:
Staircaseprogress012_zps7d5dd363.jpg

#1,926  
Assembly began...

Directions said build from the top down and I could not figure out why so I tried from the bottom up. The treads bolt holes are slotted leaving up to 1 1/8" inch adjustment per tread which meant I was 18" short at the top.....time to re-do it top down{sigh}:
Staircaseprogress014_zpsd0c52c81.jpg

This is where I quit for the day:
Staircaseprogress015_zps37b71c90.jpg

So far so good, no big issues, just tedious work leaning off a ladder. Hope to get it usable by tomorrow.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,927  
Not so sure about your truss reinforcements there, but you seem to have a pretty good grasp on these things, so I'll keep quiet now...

The shot with the cats is pretty funny...

#1,929  
Not so sure about your truss reinforcements there, but you seem to have a pretty good grasp on these things, so I'll keep quiet now...

The shot with the cats is pretty funny...

I'm not done yet, there will be more box framing all the way around the opening. Yep the black one(Jezebel) kept climbing down and walking around on the trusses....until she fell. Landed on all fours in the basement, twitched her tail a couple of time & casually walked out like that's what she meant to do:confused3:.

#1,930  
Yeah Ben....not quite sure what to do with it since I have no place to put it:cool: