The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,931  
What about that big covered porch. ;)

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,932  
Bilko it's just too darn big....54" on a 8' deck takes up a ton of space. Now if I had the 60'x80' barn finished it could go down there..............

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,933  
I'm not done yet, there will be more box framing all the way around the opening. Yep the black one(Jezebel) kept climbing down and walking around on the trusses....until she fell. Landed on all fours in the basement, twitched her tail a couple of time & casually walked out like that's what she meant to do:confused3:.

Have you considered enclosing the stairs from under the sub-floor down to the basement floor in a tube or a box?
That could offer more support to the cut floor trusses, close the view from the main floor to the basement stuff, eliminate a lot of dust coming up to the main floor, and eliminate the draft effect from the basement to the living quarters, perhaps lowering your fire insurance rate a bit as another result.
Everytime you open an upstairs door or window with an open 5 foot hole in the floor you are going to suck in dirt and cold air from the basement garage up to your living quarters. Ask the folks on TBN who have lived with one like that.
Ron

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,934  
The cats were impressed:
Staircaseprogress012_zps7d5dd363.jpg

I'm with the cats... impressed.

I also agree that you ought to do something with that round piece you cut out of the floor . Consider cutting it in half and making two half tables for the porch. Or, just keep it until you get the barn done.

#1,935  
Pacer yep I have been looking at that today as we finally got the staircase built to the main floor, as there is quite the gap to the chasm below.

Three times is a charm. First time it's my fault(built from bottom up), second time we went from the top down and used the tread height that was on the build sheet. Even made a fancy stick to use as a guide for the tread height...nope, when I got to the basement floor I was 4.5" off... too short. Had to go back up and move every tread up a quarter of an inch.

Then like an idiot I assumed our fancy stick would be correct for the tread height from the main floor to loft. Nope it was off again by 4"....I shoulda known the tread height had to be different for two different measurements between floors:duh: Sheesh....3+ days to assemble a staircase....I'm starting to feel a little inadequate:jaded:

Pic's tomorrow when it's DONE.............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,936  
I wouldn't feel so bad. Stair case work is amongst the toughest headscratchers in house building. I assume you have already got all the finished floors in place, IIRC. If not, you need to account for them when setting your risers still, but I think you did all the flooring previously so you should be good...

#1,937  
Stair case work is amongst the toughest headscratchers in house building.

I have to run a big 48" shop fan when I am trying to figure tread height and run.......to clear the smoke that's billowing from my ears..................

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,938  
I have to run a big 48" shop fan when I am trying to figure tread height and run.......to clear the smoke that's billowing from my ears..................

Run on a spiral stairway... Depends on whether you are pole dancing or hugging the handrail:D
How much tread depth will you have for your left foot when you are going up in a comfortable position between the handrail and the pole?
Ron

#1,939  
I'll have to measure the treads, can't remember the size.

Well, it's up, handrail is on and boy did it take some time. Two sections of rail for the top stair, three for the bottom. The third section was not drilled to accept the inside tube joining brackets and we had to figure those out ourselves(the instructions are useless). I also had to cut the middle section to fit, so trying to mate a 90 degree cut on a compound curve is quite fun:censored: There was some bending, some cursing, some baluster height adjustment, some stripping of the baluster to handrail sheet metal screws(I think I'll weld them some day), but in the end it all came out pretty good:

Loft landing
Staircasealmostdone002_zps11653a6e.jpg

Loft to main looking down
Staircasealmostdone003_zps26adbd56.jpg

Main staircase
Staircasealmostdone005_zps3f57aefe.jpg

#1,940  
And the basement staircase
Staircasealmostdone007_zpseccabf9c.jpg

I still need to build cedar rails for the loft landing and integrate it to the staircase, re-paint everything that got scuffed up, concrete anchor the base to the basement slab, build a round skirt(tube) around the staircase where it goes through the main floor to cover the trusses, finish boxing in the trusses & reinforce the underside of the main floor landing.