The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
I decided to pressure wash the interior as well as the exterior of the house before the windows and doors go on. The inside needs it from ceiling to floor, lots of sawmill sawdust stuck to all the rafters, some dirt, boot prints and staining in the wood grain. I will bleach it all first, blow it off with the water then set up a high volume fan inside to speed drying time.

I went with a Tung Oil based sealer for the interior as I am a big fan of it:
https://www.treehouselab.com/index.php?option=com_tuulshop&page=shop.browse&Itemid=132

For the exterior I am thinking Cabot's Austrailian Timber Oil. It is a blend of several oils including Tung Oil with UV additives. anybody have any experience with this product?
Cabot Stains Australian Timber Oil | Cabot

My concrete guy was here yesterday..we pour the basement on Thur morning:thumbsup:

Uh oh...reading some bad reports on the Cabot's sealer....so the search is back on for an exterior sealer.

I started pressure washing today. How do I do it with no well yet? Like this:
Pressurewash006.jpg

It takes 55 gallons to do one side, then I have to drive back down to the quonset hut and re-fill...it's going to take a while. I added a half a gallon of bleach to the barrel, and it does a good job on the cedar. The right side has been done:
Pressurewash005.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #544  
All the foam is up. I have a neighbor coming on Tue with his construction crew of (3) to help me hang the steel. I have to say when that is done I am going to kiss the Tera firma and have a shot of Jack..........................3 weeks on that roof is enough!

Just one shot? That sounds like a good start!

Your place really is looking good-thanks for keeping us updated.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #545  
Uh oh...reading some bad reports on the Cabot's sealer....so the search is back on for an exterior sealer.

What did you read? I've heard good stuff about it and was going to use it on my cedar posts for my gazebo.

Keep us posted on what you decide on. I need it too!!!!

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........ #546  
Keep up the great work, M7. I had to join this forum just to say thanks for the awesome thread, and pics. I really admire your skill and determination. Great project, look forward to more updates.

GGB....well...ok,,,,,,,,I might be able to have more than one:thumbsup:

Eddie, I have read several reports that it is not drying properly, Some said after a week it was still tacky & that Cabot keeps changing the formula. My neighbor used it 2 years ago on pine log siding, he just did another coat and is happy, so I still might go with it. I have narrowed my choices to these( I think):

Lovitt's Natural Gold Exterior Stain - 5 Gallons - Exterior Wood Stains

Nature's Edge Exterior Stain | Twin Creeks Log Home Supply

I have samples coming for the exterior finish and a color chart of the log caulking. I am pushing it pretty close, as all of these need 40 degrees or better to apply.

Stuka...waaaay more determination than skill:laughing:

Since I wanted to pre drill the metal I was up and down a dozen times measuring the roof. Drilling holes in a 14 sheet stack of 20+ foot of new metal had me nervous, but it all worked out fine. Pre drilling makes it easier, quicker and less damage is done when the screw won't go in, then goes waumpyjawed and causes the drill bit to slam into the metal leaving a nice diviot in the finish. Besides your screw lines are perfect:thumbsup:

We did the creekside first then the front. It's 90% done and is lacking the two end sheets that may or may not have to be cut, the ridge cap, gable trim and porch transition metal.

CopperPenny001.jpg

CopperPenny002.jpg

CopperPenny004.jpg

CopperPenny005.jpg

I think Lesley nailed it...the color....it really matches well with the cedar and changes as you walk around it...tan, brown, gold, copper.... interesting color...........I LIKE!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #550  
I think Lesley nailed it...the color....it really matches well with the cedar and changes as you walk around it...tan, brown, gold, copper.... interesting color...........I LIKE!

Rick,
I was going to ask if the color is growing on you. It does blend and looks natural.
hugs, Brandi