The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
I cut out the 4x6x14' joists out of SYP & loaded them on the tractor:
001.jpg

I put a 2x8 header on the wall then started setting the joists:
005.jpg

007.jpg

They are all up, but I realized that I need one more joist to make things symmetrical(one on either side of the center ridge support). So, tomorrow I will cut one more:
009.jpg

008.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #523  
I am not one to post to often but I wanted to let you know that your project is really looking great. I am jealous of you right now and would love to have my own log home one day. I did build my own house with the help of friends but it is not the same as a cabin. The wife and I have even been to a few log home seminars and looked at the kits available but they dont serve no justice to what you have done.

Keep up the good works and of course the pictures and updates.

Thanks Carno, it is ........rustic for sure. I have looked at many kits, some very well done, and others that are just too sterile for my tastes. The prolific use of sheetrock is one thing I can't stand....love the contrast of the white against natural wood, but I despise sheetrock. Kits are ok, but they tend to be expensive. Instead, I put money into a sawmill and it has paid for itself several times over. Also, having 70 ac of timber to pluck what I need helps a bit.

Here is another option for you. There are many small sawmill operators, some portable, some stationary. Once you know what you want/need, make a list, then call around and see what they would charge you for milled lumber.

I went to a week long Timberframe seminar about 7-8 years ago. I learned a lot there even though I learned I did NOT want to build one. It will give you a different perspective on bracing and framing, & it is good hands on fun.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #525  
WOW really enjoying this thread have always wanted to build a log place!!

Ok, it's MAN LIFT time. A local guy rents one cheap($40 a day) so I picked it up this morning. I still had not squared the roof(trimmed the 2x10 ends) so I set it up on the West side and attempted to get that done. I made a mistake not trimming back the felt paper as it got in the way and I have a wavy cut on one side that I will have to re-do tomorrow. Once i get that side done I will move it over to the East side and finish. Then I will be laying the foam board and purlins. I used the 3-4-5 method which was easier than running diagonal tape across the roof.

I needed to use the tractor to tow it up to the site, so I welded a receiver on the back of the Box Blade(don't look at my weld beads...I was in a hurry...:shocked):
ManLift002.jpg

ManLift003.jpg

Ready to go:
ManLift001-1.jpg

Set up:
ManLift004.jpg

Whooaaaaa..............:
ManLift008.jpg

As shot of the ridge with the permanent tie off anchors installed:
ManLift005.jpg

Foam waiting patiently: